Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 12:33 AM   #1
83transam
Banned

1994 formula i dont know where to start

I have a Stock 1994 firebird formula 6 speed just turned 100K I need performance but i dont know where to start. I herd altering anything on this engine is hard due to the computer. What do i do. I would love for my car to run a low 12 high 11. And please be nice about it.
83transam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:10 AM   #2
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

11's or 12's?

2 words for you

super-charger

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:15 AM   #3
83transam
Banned

I would really like to do that, but there is alot of other stuff that has to be replaced and i have no clue what, and how. pluss the big $ factor and also how would the computer mix with that.
Old 04-03-2006, 01:18 AM   #4
OombaIsBack
Banned

How do you know stuff has to be replaced if you dont know what it is?

If you want speed, you have to spend money. Plain and simple no ways around it. Start with exhaust and fuel delivery, then supercharge.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 01:26 AM   #5
83transam
Banned

i just know that a stock engine cant handel a big change in power like that, like i know you can put nos on a stock engine but it will probly only last 1 shot and the engine will be toast. I know i gotta spend money but a super charger is like 2500 plus install and other parts. - or at least i think....am i worng? because if a supercharger is all i need and that will do it than thats what i want.

for exhast i was wanting headers and put duals on it with borla. and cutouts right after the headers. will that work with the computer sensers.

What do i need for fuel delevery?

Last edited by 83transam : 04-03-2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:26 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83transam
i just know that a stock engine cant handel a big change in power like that, like i know you can put nos on a stock engine but it will probly only last 1 shot and the engine will be toast. I know i gotta spend money but a super charger is like 2500 plus install and other parts. - or at least i think....am i worng? because if a supercharger is all i need and that will do it than thats what i want.

for exhast i was wanting headers and put duals on it with borla. and cutouts right after the headers. will that work with the computer sensers.

First of all it's "Nitrous Oxide", NOS is a company that makes it. Fuel delivery, like a bigger fuel pump and bigger fuel injectors...Superchargers are generally around +$2,000.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:59 AM   #7
83transam
Banned

i know its nitrous oxide i just dont want to type that every time i talk about it and would rather use a shorter term that everyone understands.

how big of a fuel pump and how big of injectors do you think would work best?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:00 AM   #8
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

A nice set of cylinder heads and a good intake system would be a good place to start.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
A nice set of cylinder heads and a good intake system would be a good place to start.

that and a camshaft
Old 04-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #10
OombaIsBack
Banned

Your engine can handle 8 psi as it is just fine.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

that's kind of funny, i could probably toss a good 100 shot of Nitrous at my car before it complains. Hell, the 420a block can withstand 330 hp before I need to really worry. That would mean I could almost toss a 200 shot at it

However I wouldn't do that without other engine work.

Anyways, start with the basics, exhaust system, intake system, and fuel delivery system.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerforlife
that's kind of funny, i could probably toss a good 100 shot of Nitrous at my car before it complains. Hell, the 420a block can withstand 330 hp before I need to really worry. That would mean I could almost toss a 200 shot at it

However I wouldn't do that without other engine work.

Anyways, start with the basics, exhaust system, intake system, and fuel delivery system.

if you dont mind me asking?
what engine/car are you referring to?

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #13
davsmitty
CF Addict

[quote=83transam]i just know that a stock engine cant handel a big change in power like that, like i know you can put nos on a stock engine but it will probly only last 1 shot and the engine will be toast. I know i gotta spend money but a super charger is like 2500 plus install and other parts. - or at least i think....am i worng? because if a supercharger is all i need and that will do it than thats what i want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83transam

I was going to post more, then realized that i have no information to back up my ideas so...>Jeggs.com< Holley makes exhaust system components (Flowtec line) its pretty cheap stuff and will generaly last a long while.
ATI Procharger is a company that specializes in centrifugal blowers, they're products are pricey, but well worth it (highly efficient blowers w/intercoolers).

Remember...SPEED=MONEY. and be sure to get better tires too.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #14
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
if you dont mind me asking?
what engine/car are you referring to?

hehe, i did mention the 420A block, that should narrow it down a bit haha

anyways, my car is an 2005 Dodge SX 2.0
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:15 AM   #15
83transam
Banned

I like the idea of cylinder heads and a cam and intake and exhaust before i start with superchargers. I also was wondering about getting it stroked. im not to sure how this works yet i think i put a 400 crank in it. (i didnt mean that i did this i just mean i think thats how it would work)

Im just not a big fan of nitrous. plus with my engine with 100K miles on it i think it would go KABOOM!! than VROOM!

I really need some good tires to i just peal out when i take off and always get beat off the line even when im not trying to peal out. i think this is because im not a real great driver and still trying to perfect my clutching.

If you mind me asking what is the 420a block? is it just a 420ci?

Last edited by 83transam : 04-04-2006 at 04:40 AM.