Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
DanTheMan76
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 53
1988 ford Ranger

I just got a 1988 ford ranger. It has a v6 140 hp. It is a manual. It has no rpm gauge so besides listening to the engine i have no way of knowing when to shift it. Is there a website where i can buy a tachometer kit to have installed so i know when to shift. PLease help
DanTheMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:18 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheMan76
I just got a 1988 ford ranger. It has a v6 140 hp. It is a manual. It has no rpm gauge so besides listening to the engine i have no way of knowing when to shift it. Is there a website where i can buy a tachometer kit to have installed so i know when to shift. PLease help
Is there a GOOD reason for two seperate threads on the same subject?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:19 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
You get used to knowing when to shift after a while...It's probably safer too (keep your eyes on the road instead of the dash)...Not sure where to buy a kit, but I'm pretty sure they do sell them.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:29 AM   #4
DanTheMan76
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 53
sorry about the double shift my computer is really slow after i clicked submit nothing happened after 5 minutes so i clicked it again and it went thorugh but twice
DanTheMan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:40 AM   #5
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
your O'Rieley's has tachs, theyre realy easy to install too, just make sure you get one for a v6.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:43 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
your O'Rieley's has tachs, theyre realy easy to install too, just make sure you get one for a v6.
"Get one for a V6"... As opposed to what? Remember, before you type your reply, I know the answer and expect to hear yours.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:46 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
"Get one for a V6"... As opposed to what? Remember, before you type your reply, I know the answer and expect to hear yours.
Duh, as opposed to a Rotary-6
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 04:59 AM   #8
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot
 
SlipKnoT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Wichita, Kansas
Posts: 1,066
Any good auto parts store would have tachometers. If your lucky, you could get a whole gauge set up from a salvage yard for cheap.
__________________
1990 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo [Projekt Redline]
Mods: Airbox delete w/ K&N cone, hollowed cat, Fidanza short throw.
HOW FAST!?...we'll find out this summer.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
"Get one for a V6"... As opposed to what? Remember, before you type your reply, I know the answer and expect to hear yours.

tachs for 6cyl engines wont work right with 8cyl engines and visa versa. you know that.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
tachs for 6cyl engines wont work right with 8cyl engines and visa versa. you know that.

why not???? id bet you money i could take my tack out of my monte carlo (v8) and put it in a honda in about 20 mins
__________________
this forum is to dead to share a cool sig with everybody....

Last edited by glagon1979 : 04-03-2006 at 02:14 PM.
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:20 PM   #11
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
why not???? id bet you money i could take my yack out of my monte carlo (v8) and put it in a honda in about 20 mins

you could (provided the connections match, which they probably will) but the readings from the tach would not be accurate. I admit that i only know the 'why' of this. Ive never put a tach for a 6cyl on an 8cyl so I dont know EXACTLY what will happen, just that it wont be right. I didnt realy expect to have to defend myself on this, I thought it was just 'understood'. When I buy parts or pull parts from a wrecked vehicle, I make sure that the parts are commpatible with what im installing it to. It just makes sense that if you have a "whatever"6cyl and you want a tachometer, to get a tach for that type of engine. I dont know if all this holds true inline engines (i4, i6, i8) but thats not what we're talking about.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
tachs for 6cyl engines wont work right with 8cyl engines and visa versa. you know that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
you could (provided the connections match, which they probably will) but the readings from the tach would not be accurate. I admit that i only know the 'why' of this. Ive never put a tach for a 6cyl on an 8cyl so I dont know EXACTLY what will happen, just that it wont be right. I didnt realy expect to have to defend myself on this, I thought it was just 'understood'. When I buy parts or pull parts from a wrecked vehicle, I make sure that the parts are commpatible with what im installing it to. It just makes sense that if you have a "whatever"6cyl and you want a tachometer, to get a tach for that type of engine. I dont know if all this holds true inline engines (i4, i6, i8) but thats not what we're talking about.
Why do you find the need to continue spewing bullsh*t and pretending it's information? As I said, an answer is expected, and I know the correct one. Start out by explaining the "why" of this phenomenon. While we're at it, and you bought it up, explain to everyone what the differece is between a tach fo a Vee vs inline engine. I need some comedic relief this morning.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #13
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Why do you find the need to continue spewing bullsh*t and pretending it's information? As I said, an answer is expected, and I know the correct one. Start out by explaining the "why" of this phenomenon. While we're at it, and you bought it up, explain to everyone what the differece is between a tach fo a Vee vs inline engine. I need some comedic relief this morning.
well since no answer will ever appease the great hobo, and since I have already admited that I do not know the why, and because I have already stated that I have never done this; "because it just dosent". Now, Ive noticed that VWhobo has on occasion acually halped some persons, he most often only insults their intelegence. You claim to know so very much more than any others on this forum, so why wont you simply help to fill in the gaps? When I say that I dont know, I expect the person who claims to know, and who asked why I thought the way I did, to enlighten me. Unless I am wrong in with this idea of mine, Then what is the harm of me saving this guy some headaches? If I am wrong please let me know and correct me. This is the way that I was taught to learn. Now, youll probably call me an idiot, use the at least 3 more times and ask me another question that I likely cannot answer from any first hand knowledge or experiance.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
well since no answer will ever appease the great hobo, and since I have already admited that I do not know the why, and because I have already stated that I have never done this; "because it just dosent". Now, Ive noticed that VWhobo has on occasion acually halped some persons, he most often only insults their intelegence. You claim to know so very much more than any others on this forum, so why wont you simply help to fill in the gaps? When I say that I dont know, I expect the person who claims to know, and who asked why I thought the way I did, to enlighten me. Unless I am wrong in with this idea of mine, Then what is the harm of me saving this guy some headaches? If I am wrong please let me know and correct me. This is the way that I was taught to learn. Now, youll probably call me an idiot, use the at least 3 more times and ask me another question that I likely cannot answer from any first hand knowledge or experiance.
1. Moron. If you were able to comunicate effectively, most of my last post wouldn't have been posted. You very specifically stated "I admit that i only know the 'why' of this." I can only respond to the words that you type. It's not my fault that you are incompetent in conveying your message.

2. Where ever do you get the idea that it's my job to educate you. Instead of waiting for someone to pat you on the ass and give you the answers, be a big boy and go find them for yourself. Somehow, some way in the years before the internet, back when most households still had black and white TV's, computers where machines the size of a large building and mobile phones were something you saw in science fiction movies, people like me managed to search out information of this sort. It's called taking the time to care, and more importantly, REALLY WANTING TO KNOW.

I don't think you meet those two criteria. You, and many others like you, just want to be spoon fed. Not only that but if you don't know, and apparently you knew you didn't, why do you find it neccesary to make incorrect statements that only serve to confuse the situatiuon? I can answer that. Because you want people to think you have knowledge that you don't. You want to appear smarter than you are. And the whole time you're hoping you won't get caught.

If you really want to learn about cars and how they work, shut off your computer and go work on them. Sometimes that may require you to read a manual or some other type of reference material to get an answer. Then, when you have some knowledge beyond what you think you learned from a movie or video game, you might be able to help with technical questions instead of muddying the waters with your own special brand of bullsh*t.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:22 PM   #15
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
So if you've never done this, where have you received your information? As you well know, hobo only comes across this way when members shows signs of opening their mouths without first checking the facts. I've done it myself before and just accept that hobo has atleast 30yrs worth of motor trade experience over me. The reason that he seems to be like this with almost all members, especially new members, is because they always post in the same way, and show either a lack of description that is needed to help them out (a description that they should posses!), or they claim to know what they're talking about but dont. Sometimes the latter is exceptionally severe, other times it's not that bad, it just gets worse when the members get their backs up because of the way that hobo addresses himself....
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.