Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
Masuk
CF Newbie

Easily Modified Streetcar

Hey guys- Good to be Back-
I was looking into building a semi serious street car. Something that will be easily modified, an easy car to build power and also to handle well. I was thinking of a factory turbo'd car only because the power potential of a factory turbo is generally greater than that of a non. I have been working mainly on dragsters, but I want to turn rather than go straight for a change. Any suggestions on a good starter car?
I will be doing the work myself, I wouldnt say I am qualified as of yet however I do beleive I have a decent amount of knowledge to get me started and if not, plenty of friends who can help.
Masuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masuk
Hey guys- Good to be Back-
I was looking into building a semi serious street car. Something that will be easily modified, an easy car to build power and also to handle well. I was thinking of a factory turbo'd car only because the power potential of a factory turbo is generally greater than that of a non. I have been working mainly on dragsters, but I want to turn rather than go straight for a change. Any suggestions on a good starter car?
I will be doing the work myself, I wouldnt say I am qualified as of yet however I do beleive I have a decent amount of knowledge to get me started and if not, plenty of friends who can help.
Simple. A Fox bodied Mustang 5.0. Cheap to buy, parts galore, goes well in a straight line or around corners and the bottom end is unbreakable.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #3
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

If you want simple and easy to modify and work on, get something with a Chevy 350 V8 in it. Like a Camaro.
SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
OombaIsBack
Banned

240sx.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
240sx.
+1, SR20DET swap and it'll be a good sleeper, although they're are many other ones the fox body sounds good too
Old 04-05-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

If he wants a good sleeper, then he should look into a 1984 Maserati BiTurbo

OR a 1998-2005 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. All you have to do is tune the computer, and get a smaller supercharger pulley. My moms is a beast, and thats all we did to it. Plus we hollowed out the cats. It'll take on Mustangs and Camaros (Z28s or SSs) all day.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:35 AM   #7
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
If he wants a good sleeper, then he should look into a 1984 Maserati BiTurbo

OR a 1998-2005 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi. All you have to do is tune the computer, and get a smaller supercharger pulley. My moms is a beast, and thats all we did to it. Plus we hollowed out the cats. It'll take on Mustangs and Camaros (Z28s or SSs) all day.
Are you serious? For the cost of an SSEi alone you could buy a nice foxbody and already have it pretty well built. Not to mention the fact that the Bonneville is a boat, along with being FWD with practically no aftermarket compared to the 5.0s. Out of curiosity, how much extra HP are you getting from your mods? I do like the SSEis alot, but to compete with a LS1 Camaro you'd probably need some pretty good HP. Many stock LS1s dyno at a little over 300 rwhp. Factor in the weight advantage for the Camaro (a few hundred lbs) and RWD. I could be wrong though, I really don't know how much power would be gained through a new pully + tune.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 AM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Why not get a Civic and be like the rest of the crowd
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:16 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Doing what, carrying groceries?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:17 AM   #10
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast

Yes the fox body is a good start. I know a guy who works at BMW and has 2, one 4 cylinder model with a good body and such, and a 5.0 8 cylinder NA beast that has a ~450~ HP not sure if it is crank or wheel. But he ran a 12 with lots of wheel spin. Hes going to take the motor from the 5.0 and put it in the good body and make it a sleeper with no visual mods and no 5.0 badges. Should be a fun car his brother is buying my taurus and putting either a supercharger or a turbo on it. While will be driving a Lexus POS250
skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:33 AM   #11
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Why not get a Civic and be like the rest of the crowd

There's a reason why the rest of the crowd have one. It's a great car to work with, and tons of aftermarket. Although its FWD, but that doesn't mean it can't handle, a well tuned FWD can outrun a lot of RWD's. So, FWD is alright as long as you know how to take advantage of it. Plus FWD offers better daily driveability, and better grip in wet weather.

I would get a R32 GTR. But that's pretty pricy. OR if you have the cash, go look for a RX-7 with high mileage, FD or FC; it doesnt matter. And swap out the rotary for a LS1. Great power, great handling, great looks; you can't go wrong there.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:50 PM   #12
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Are you serious? For the cost of an SSEi alone you could buy a nice foxbody and already have it pretty well built. Not to mention the fact that the Bonneville is a boat, along with being FWD with practically no aftermarket compared to the 5.0s. Out of curiosity, how much extra HP are you getting from your mods? I do like the SSEis alot, but to compete with a LS1 Camaro you'd probably need some pretty good HP. Many stock LS1s dyno at a little over 300 rwhp. Factor in the weight advantage for the Camaro (a few hundred lbs) and RWD. I could be wrong though, I really don't know how much power would be gained through a new pully + tune.

It is a boat, and thats what pisses the V8 Mustang and Camaro boys off Last summer we took it out to the track and it ran a 13 flat. We put it on my uncle dyno and it made 342hp and 345ft.lbs of torque. I will say this though, and this is a downside to the car; it doesnt accelerate well in the higher RPMs because of the way its geared, so, needless to say, if your racing for a little over 1/2 a mile you might get beat.

Its funny as hell though seeing the look on the other guys face when they realize they just got their ass handed to them by a 4-door boat of a family sedan!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
musclecarneon
Banned

My mom's 91 Buick Regal is already wicked fast for a senior citizen car, one of those with some mods would be a great sleeper ... can you imagine the look on the face of that punk in the 'stang as he's beaten by a BUICK??? Or a Ford Crown Victoria, those are already fast because they're cop cars and the have lots of space for mods.
musclecarneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #14
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
It is a boat, and thats what pisses the V8 Mustang and Camaro boys off Last summer we took it out to the track and it ran a 13 flat. We put it on my uncle dyno and it made 342hp and 345ft.lbs of torque. I will say this though, and this is a downside to the car; it doesnt accelerate well in the higher RPMs because of the way its geared, so, needless to say, if your racing for a little over 1/2 a mile you might get beat.

Its funny as hell though seeing the look on the other guys face when they realize they just got their ass handed to them by a 4-door boat of a family sedan!
That is pretty impressive. The Stang still murders it as far as fast-for-cheap, but those #s are better than I expected.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

he also said this:

Quote:
Something that will be easily modified, an easy car to build power and also to handle well

A Mustang or Camaro is better in that regard. The V8 swapped RX7 is even better, as it's lighter, works better in stock form already, and is cheap to do (if you start with an FC)

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote