Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2006, 10:00 PM   #1
davsmitty
CF Addict

A Question for VWhobo

As you know, i drive an '86 GMC 1500. It gets good gas milage for the big carbed box that it is (15-17 avg), but for a while ive been looking at a VW sitting at a shop. I dont know what year or model it is, but its the 'sporty' coupe like the car in your sig. If i can get it for less that 1000, would it be a good car for me to play around with. I mean is it easy to work on, reliable and all that good stuff (i know im being lame and vague but thats why im asking you). Also, how reliable and workable is the VW diesel? Thanks ahead of time
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:29 PM   #2
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

im pretty sure the car in his sig is a one off Karmann Ghia dragster

I think they look great, but thats about all I know, that, and the engine size was 2.0 liters or less I think

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
davsmitty
CF Addict

Id realy appreciate VWhobo's remarks on this. please?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
OombaIsBack
Banned

Be patient, hes googling it.
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:19 AM   #5
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
oh, ok thanks
Old 03-29-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
What?
Banned

Quote:
I thought I was the only who knew he did that.
What? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:42 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by What?
I thought I was the only who knew he did that.
Funny how two of the people with the least automotive knowledge on this forum would have this for a response. Even funnier that they have time to take a hit at me, but not time to anwser the question. Is it because they're both Twinks or is it because they're working together on the dissertation that OombaLicksMyCrack is still working on explaining why he thinks that automatics are faster that manuals for drag racing? No, I haven't forgotten and yes, I still expect an answer.

While I'm at it, let's talk about your intellectual honesty, or lack thereof. In another thread, you made it a point to tell someone that an Eclipse is an American car. http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?p=186099

But at the same time, in the same thread even, you imply that you drive a Japanese car. http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?p=182954 Now we know the reason that you did that is to bolster your arguement that you don't dislike Japmobiles. But you know, I know and everybody knows that in doing so you're being dishonest. Your Mazda is no more Japanese then the Mitsubishi you claim to be American. The Eclipse was built in Normal, IL. Your pink MX-6 was built in Flat Rock, MI. The last time I looked at a globe, Michigan was still part of the US. So... What makes your US built Mazda more Japanese than a US built Mitsubishi. Keep your answer short, to the point and factual. And while you're typing, remember four words. Faster, automatic and drag racing.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
As you know, i drive an '86 GMC 1500. It gets good gas milage for the big carbed box that it is (15-17 avg), but for a while ive been looking at a VW sitting at a shop. I dont know what year or model it is, but its the 'sporty' coupe like the car in your sig. If i can get it for less that 1000, would it be a good car for me to play around with. I mean is it easy to work on, reliable and all that good stuff (i know im being lame and vague but thats why im asking you). Also, how reliable and workable is the VW diesel? Thanks ahead of time
1. If it's a Karmann Ghia they're mechanically fairly simple and inexpensive to work on. If it needs any body repair, it can get quite expensive. I can't see the car and I don't know it's condition, so I can't decide if it's worth $1k.

2. There are several VW diesels, so again it's a bit hard to answer the question. Let's just say that generally speaking, with the proper care and feeding, VW makes a stout diesel engine.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:08 PM   #9
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
1. If it's a Karmann Ghia they're mechanically fairly simple and inexpensive to work on. If it needs any body repair, it can get quite expensive. I can't see the car and I don't know it's condition, so I can't decide if it's worth $1k.

2. There are several VW diesels, so again it's a bit hard to answer the question. Let's just say that generally speaking, with the proper care and feeding, VW makes a stout diesel engine.
Thanks.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
OombaLicksMyCrack is still working on explaining why he thinks that automatics are faster that manuals for drag racing? No, I haven't forgotten and yes, I still expect an answer.

While I'm at it, let's talk about your intellectual honesty, or lack thereof. In another thread, you made it a point to tell someone that an Eclipse is an American car. http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?p=186099

But at the same time, in the same thread even, you imply that you drive a Japanese car. http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?p=182954 Now we know the reason that you did that is to bolster your arguement that you don't dislike Japmobiles. But you know, I know and everybody knows that in doing so you're being dishonest. Your Mazda is no more Japanese then the Mitsubishi you claim to be American. The Eclipse was built in Normal, IL. Your pink MX-6 was built in Flat Rock, MI. The last time I looked at a globe, Michigan was still part of the US. So... What makes your US built Mazda more Japanese than a US built Mitsubishi. Keep your answer short, to the point and factual. And while you're typing, remember four words. Faster, automatic and drag racing.

The powertrain in my car is all Japanese. Unlike the Eclipses which use Chrysler parts. By the way, are you color blind? Last time I checked maroon and pink were two very different colors.

If you knew what friction was, you would know why it makes more sense that automatics are better than manuals in drag racing. You should also know that humans cant move as quickly as machines can.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:08 PM   #11
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:

If you knew what friction was, you would know why it makes more sense that automatics are better than manuals in drag racing. .......

Really? All those track records must be doctored.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:13 PM   #12
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Really? All those track records must be doctored.

What track records?

Is it really that big of a mystery to you why Top Fuelers and funny car drivers use automatics? Oh, they must just be afraid to go fast so they stick with automatics then. Thats why they chose a transmission that can stay in the power band at all times, because constant power is sooo much slower than not.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:14 PM   #13
What?
Banned

Quote:
If you knew what friction was, you would know why it makes more sense that automatics are better than manuals in drag racing. You should also know that humans cant move as quickly as machines can.
I wouldn't say that automatics are faster than manuals at the drag strip, but I would say that automatics are more consistent and usually easier to complete a fast quarter mile. They also let you hold the wheel with two hands during the full run.

Quote:
Maroon and pink were two very different colors.
Your car does look pink. Bitch.

Last edited by What? : 03-30-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:28 PM   #14
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by What?

Your car does look pink. Bitch.

Wow, you are a ****ing moron. Just like hobo, eh? Colorblind? Its more purple than pink. So I guess

and

are really that much alike. I guess by that logic, red and pink are the exact same color.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #15
What?
Banned

Quote:
Wow, you are a ****ing moron. Just like hobo, eh? Colorblind? Its more purple than pink. So I guess

and

are really that much alike. I guess by that logic, red and pink are the exact same color.

This is hot pink
http://images.google.com/images?q=tb...nd-HotPink.jpg
This is your car

Your car is hot pink.

Look at the good side: At least it's hot.