Temp Sensor 2 33.33%
MAP sensor 2 33.33%
Other 4 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #1
yourgirl_75
CF Newbie

Question Cold idle issue

I have a 88 buick Park Ave 3800 engine. When it starts or is cold it shudders like it is miss firing but when it warms up it runs fine. I changed the plugs and fuel filter this weekend but it is still doing this. I don't have an engine light on and I just ran it through DEQ in Oregon and it passed. I was told it maybe the MAP or Coolant Temp Sensor. How can I find out with out paying hundreds of dollars what it is. I am a woman who knows shops will bend me over and take me for a ride so my Dad taught me a bit about cars just not a whole lot So if there is someone out there that will give some advise to a girl in need it will be helpful THANKS
yourgirl_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgirl_75
I have a 88 buick Park Ave 3800 engine. When it starts or is cold it shudders like it is miss firing but when it warms up it runs fine. I changed the plugs and fuel filter this weekend but it is still doing this. I don't have an engine light on and I just ran it through DEQ in Oregon and it passed. I was told it maybe the MAP or Coolant Temp Sensor. How can I find out with out paying hundreds of dollars what it is. I am a woman who knows shops will bend me over and take me for a ride so my Dad taught me a bit about cars just not a whole lot So if there is someone out there that will give some advise to a girl in need it will be helpful THANKS

you realy didnt need to post a poll for this. You dont want whatever the majority of us think it is, you want the right answer. If I were you, i'd take it to someplace that can test the ECM for free and record the codes, then post any codes here. That would help much more than a poll
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:06 PM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
you realy didnt need to post a poll for this. You dont want whatever the majority of us think it is, you want the right answer. If I were you, i'd take it to someplace that can test the ECM for free and record the codes, then post any codes here. That would help much more than a poll
I checked all of them off, then I'm definately right

BTW Nice avatar, but it kinda looks liken they're sharing an ass
Old 04-03-2006, 10:08 PM   #4
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I checked all of them off, then I'm definately right

BTW Nice avatar, but it kinda looks liken they're sharing an ass

your such a whore! and I love using Photoshack
Old 04-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
yourgirl_75
CF Newbie

Sorry didn't mean to post all that didn't know what it was gonna do when i did it NEW TO this sorry Where can I go to get it tested that would be helpful and very nice of you to offer this information
Old 04-03-2006, 10:26 PM   #6
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourgirl_75
Sorry didn't mean to post all that didn't know what it was gonna do when i did it NEW TO this sorry Where can I go to get it tested that would be helpful and very nice of you to offer this information
Ok cool. I think Autozone does free testing, also many dealerships do i think. just call around to different shops/retailers/dealers and ask. Just remember to write down the codes.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Ok cool. I think Autozone does free testing, also many dealerships do i think. just call around to different shops/retailers/dealers and ask. Just remember to write down the codes.
And then what is she supposed to do with those codes?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:33 PM   #8
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
And then what is she supposed to do with those codes?

right. find out what the codes mean, either in the owners manual, repair manual, or ask someone who can tell her truthfully. then re-post here and ask you what needs to be fixed, checked, or replaced. right? i dont know codes, your the one who always asks for them so...
Old 04-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
right. find out what the codes mean, either in the owners manual, repair manual, or ask someone who can tell her truthfully. then re-post here and ask you what needs to be fixed, checked, or replaced. right? i dont know codes, your the one who always asks for them so...
Okay, lets say she has a DTC 12. What does she do next?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #10
yourgirl_75
CF Newbie

The engine light isn't on???? Would there still be codes if that wasn't coming on??
Old 04-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Okay, lets say she has a DTC 12. What does she do next?
I cant answer that. I dont know. I know nothing.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:40 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I cant answer that. I dont know. I know nothing.
And you're displaying a lack of interest in learning. It's a simple question that you could search up online in about 30 seconds, if you really cared. Here's a tip. Every time you retrieve DTC's from an OBD-I equipped GM product, you'll get this code. That should cut your search time in half. On your mark, get set, go. Tick tock, tick tock.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:43 PM   #13
davsmitty
CF Addict

No distributer pulses?
Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
No distributer pulses?
I think you have at least the gist of it, although your descriptive terminolgy needs some work. Now, can you tell me why that code is present?

Old 04-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #15
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
I think you have at least the gist of it, although your descriptive terminolgy needs some work. Now, can you tell me why that code is present?
not realy, having never seen the engine or vehicle. but if my distributer was not pulsing (i dont know what is meant by 'pulsing', so im gonna asume it means not funtioning), i would check my distributer lead wire for shorts or bad connections. then check the distributer power source to make sure it has current. but again, if im completely wrong in this, please correct me as all of my experiance is with older truck w/out ECM's, so testing directly is the only way to diagnose a problem.