Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2006, 04:15 AM   #1
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Steering wheel replacement

As most of you already know, or can guess, I own a 1994 Honda Accord EX. Right now I'm thinking of replacing the steering wheel. Currently, I have the urethane (or whatever that stuff is called) wheel. My problem with it is, the previous driver of the car had a habit of driving that caused his wedding ring to wear the wheel down where he usually positioned his hands. This leaves me with a wheel that looks very worn in one spot, and it flakes off. I got a wheel cover that I have been using for the past two or three years, but I took it off today and I decided I really missed the feel of just the wheel; the cover makes it feel far to thick for comfort. So, I have decided to replace the wheel, only this time, I will replace it with the leather wrapped wheel that was available on that generation instead of the urethane one, just because I would prefer that. Now that I have given the background information, here comes the question. How simple would it be for me to take off the old wheel and put the new one on? The horn and cruise control buttons don't seem to be integrated into the outer wheel; rather they either go straight through the covering or are a completely separate unit. However there could quite easily be some complications that I am unaware of. As long as I don't have to disconnect or fool around with any of the electronic stuff, I should be fine. Is it really as simple as unscrewing the old one and screwing the new one on? I intend to ask the Honda parts department when they open tomorrow for more information as to exactly how to do it. But any experience on this would be extremely helpful to guide me along my decision on this matter. (Whether to let a mechanic do it or do it myself). Thanks for your time.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:22 AM   #2
davsmitty
CF Addict

huge post. its not just unscrew, replace, rescrew. youll need a steering wheel puller, and you realy need to make sure that the wheel is balanced or neutral or whatever you wanna call it (tires are straight, wheel has even amounts of preasure to either side). and make sure you put the replacement on centered (unless you like looking like youre turning when youre not). as to driving controlls, thats up to you. talk to the techs, you should be fine
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:26 AM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

I see, thanks. So if I want to replace just the outer rim of the wheel I'll have to take the whole thing off? I didn't think I would have to do that, so I didn't even think about recentering the wheel. Sounds like it may be a better idea to just have a mechanic do it, but I'll ask tomorrow and see if it's something I could take a shot at. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:27 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
huge post. its not just unscrew, replace, rescrew. youll need a steering wheel puller, and you realy need to make sure that the wheel is balanced or neutral or whatever you wanna call it (tires are straight, wheel has even amounts of preasure to either side). and make sure you put the replacement on centered (unless you like looking like youre turning when youre not). as to driving controlls, thats up to you. talk to the techs, you should be fine
Okay Mr AutomotiveAnswerMan. You're doing it again. What is the single most important piece of advice he needs to know... And you didn't provide?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:30 AM   #5
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Okay Mr AutomotiveAnswerMan. You're doing it again. What is the single most important piece of advice he needs to know... And you didn't provide?
ah damnit, i was JUST about to attemp to correct myself when you posted. right, I believe what he needs to do is find more information about the steering wheel of his car. Probably should find some diagrams of how it all fits together and what comes apart how.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:33 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
ah damnit, i was JUST about to attemp to correct myself when you posted. right, I believe what he needs to do is find more information about the steering wheel of his car. Probably should find some diagrams of how it all fits together and what comes apart how.
Nope, think safety.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-04-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

While I'm on the subject, I was also thinking of replacing the shifter cover to the leather wrapped one also available on this generation to match the wheel. Is this something I can simply unscrew, remove, and screw on the replacement? The transmission is a four speed automatic. Thanks.

VW: Might it have something to do with the airbag? I most certainly do not want to be fooling around with that.

Last edited by hondaman : 04-04-2006 at 04:42 AM.
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 04:42 AM   #8
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Nope, think safety.
ah, airbag. he needs to disable the airbag before he tries anything. otherwise...his head will hurt alot.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:45 AM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
ah, airbag. he needs to disable the airbag before he tries anything. otherwise...his head will hurt alot.
Now, next time before you hit submit, think everything through. Remember the six most important letters. S L O W L Y.

Old 04-04-2006, 04:49 AM   #10
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Got it. Thank you both. Is disabling it as simple as removing it's fuse from the fuse box? I would really like to do this on my own if at all possible, I'm getting tired of labor costs. Would the shifter be as simple as I thought, or is that going to involve problems to me that I am not aware of?
Old 04-04-2006, 05:25 AM   #11
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Ok, slight change of plans. I've been talking with someone and I found that the steering wheel I have IS the leather wrapped one, same for the shifter. So forget the shifter, no need to change it now. But my other question still remains, is disabling the airbag system as easy as removing it's fuse? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #12
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Ok, slight change of plans. I've been talking with someone and I found that the steering wheel I have IS the leather wrapped one, same for the shifter. So forget the shifter, no need to change it now. But my other question still remains, is disabling the airbag system as easy as removing it's fuse? Thanks.
I believe simply disconnecting the battery and waiting 10 minutes before fiddling with anything disables everything electrical in your car. Also, I believe you'll need a torx set to get the steering wheel off. I recommend not getting the screw driver type (I tried swapping steering wheels today and I stripped one of the bolts using a torx screw-driver ). Good luck
Old 04-04-2006, 02:41 PM   #13
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

I see, thanks. Is this something I could easily find at Autozone? About how much will it cost?
Old 04-04-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
I see, thanks. Is this something I could easily find at Autozone? About how much will it cost?
My haynes manual says disconnect the Negative cable from the battery, wait 10 minutes, remove the fuse from the fusebox, pull off cover, remove airbag assmebly, unscrew, remove weight, remove wheel, and then put on new wheel and go the other way
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #15
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
My haynes manual says disconnect the Negative cable from the battery, wait 10 minutes, remove the fuse from the fusebox, pull off cover, remove airbag assmebly, unscrew, remove weight, remove wheel, and then put on new wheel and go the other way
Hmm, that doesn't sound too difficult at all then. I think I'll try to do it myself. Thanks.