Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #16
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Earlier. 1910 Opel:
That car actually reminds me of a story I heard on Top Gear; a British race car driver in the 1920's or 30's drove in LeMan's, but the night before he got drunk and went to the race drunk. In the beginning of they'd give him coffee at the pit stops to keep him awake, but it made him jittery so they decided to give him rum instead ...Funny thing is, HE WON

The car just reminded me of that lol.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Earlier. 1910 Opel:

Opel was around before GM owned them. But GM bought Opel in '29. Actualy, they owned 80% of Opel in '29. Opel didn't become a wholly owned division of GM until 1931.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 09:55 PM   #18
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
A little history. While many know that Henry Ford was an admirer of Hitler, and the recipient of the highest honor Nazi germany could bestow on a non-German, GM owned the Opel factories that were building Nazi war trucks and tanks. They didn't want the US to go to war, as they were making money off of the German war machine. In fact, they, like Ford, made money off of both the Allied and Axis war machines, building trucks and tank parts for both sides (Ford was also heavily established in Germany at the time).
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #19
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
A little history. While many know that Henry Ford was an admirer of Hitler, and the recipient of the highest honor Nazi germany could bestow on a non-German, GM owned the Opel factories that were building Nazi war trucks and tanks. They didn't want the US to go to war, as they were making money off of the German war machine. In fact, they, like Ford, made money off of both the Allied and Axis war machines, building trucks and tank parts for both sides (Ford was also heavily established in Germany at the time).

A bit more history:- a lot of of the antogonism and resentment towards the US after WWII and to this day is the perception that it had profiteered from the misery, playing both sides of the fence. IBM was another high profile company that had blood on it's hands. The lasting impression is that the US only goes to war if there is a buck in it.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #20
ChrisV
The Big Meaney
 
ChrisV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: People's Republic of Maryland
Posts: 3,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
A bit more history:- a lot of of the antogonism and resentment towards the US after WWII and to this day is the perception that it had profiteered from the misery, playing both sides of the fence. IBM was another high profile company that had blood on it's hands. The lasting impression is that the US only goes to war if there is a buck in it.

AQnd teh problem I have with that is that there is a difference between the nation and the international corporations.

Ford and GM are international, as is IBM. The profit whether we go to war or not. As I said, GM didn't WANT us to go to war as it was making money off of both sides. Going to war meant that many of it's german plants would be bombed.

As is typical, the foreign antagonism is rather misplaced, even if it looks reasonable at first glance.

Part of the American resentment towards foriegn governments is that we spend more money worldwide on humanitarian aid than anyone by far, we spend a ton of money on rebuilding countries we beat in war and then let them be autonomous instead of making them states (like every other nation in history has done when beating a war opponent!), and are made up primarily of people from around the world, yet are treated like a homogenous, imperialist culture that owes the world everything.
__________________
I'm not mean. You're just a wuss.



www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:59 AM   #21
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Over here, Opel is Vauxhall. In all of Europe and Southern Ireland they are Opel though. In Australia their equivilent is Holden....all GM products link together somewhere lol. And I never new that Cadilac made a Vauxhall Omega
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #22
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
AQnd teh problem I have with that is that there is a difference between the nation and the international corporations.

Ford and GM are international, as is IBM. The profit whether we go to war or not. As I said, GM didn't WANT us to go to war as it was making money off of both sides. Going to war meant that many of it's german plants would be bombed.

As is typical, the foreign antagonism is rather misplaced, even if it looks reasonable at first glance.

Part of the American resentment towards foriegn governments is that we spend more money worldwide on humanitarian aid than anyone by far, we spend a ton of money on rebuilding countries we beat in war and then let them be autonomous instead of making them states (like every other nation in history has done when beating a war opponent!), and are made up primarily of people from around the world, yet are treated like a homogenous, imperialist culture that owes the world everything.

I was going to add that sentiment to my post i.e. the individuals are judged on their high profile representatives (elected or otherwise). Even your response "yet are treated like a homogenous, imperialist culture that owes the world everything" in itself supposes the rest of the world are homogeneous and not individuals.


Insofar as providing aid and the like, well that is not a new concept. The French provided aid to the continental army, the British provided infrastucture and finance to it's empire nations, even Australia annually provides billions to the South East Asian community.

The problem with the WWII episode is that the war torn populace watched on as the US enjoyed a bountiful 1950's from the war profits and post war payments of the Lend Lease, while they did it hard.

Personally I'm glad the US stepped up to the plate and turned the tide of facism and fuedalism, sweeping Europe and Asia.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."

Last edited by Wally : 04-05-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #23
OPC Power
CF Newbie
 
OPC Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Burgos - Spain
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Really? Are you absolutely sure about that? Do you mean to tell me that all Kadetts, GT's and Mantas sold in Buick dealerships in the '60's and '70's were a figment of everyone's imagination? I learn something new every day.

I think the first opel GT was also sold in USA
__________________
My Opel Astra 2.0T 200hp

OPC Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #24
OPC Power
CF Newbie
 
OPC Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Burgos - Spain
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Opels were sold in North America as recently as 2001, badged as a Cadillac Catera.


As for older Opels, they're not exactly growing on trees, but there are plenty of them still out there to be had. Just look at eBay.

I donīt know it... thanks for the information...
__________________
My Opel Astra 2.0T 200hp

OPC Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:33 PM   #25
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Insofar as providing aid and the like, well that is not a new concept. The French provided aid to the continental army, the British provided infrastucture and finance to it's empire nations, even Australia annually provides billions to the South East Asian community.
He said we spent more, he didn't say noone else spent any! Go back and read his post, espcially before you quote it. And your first example is centuries old. And of course the Brits would supply their empire nations, they're theirs!!
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM   #26
musclecarneon
Banned
 
musclecarneon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 80
what is opel made by? i have honestly never heard of them
musclecarneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:55 PM   #27
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarneon
what is opel made by? i have honestly never heard of them
Did you read any of the thread, or did all of the two syllable words get in the way?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #28
OPC Power
CF Newbie
 
OPC Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Burgos - Spain
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarneon
what is opel made by? i have honestly never heard of them

You have never heard Opel?? Itīs impossible itīs a very famous german make??
__________________
My Opel Astra 2.0T 200hp

OPC Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:51 PM   #29
OPC Power
CF Newbie
 
OPC Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Burgos - Spain
Posts: 29
I think that Opel GT was sold in USA between 60īs and 70īs?? Is it true??







Bye
__________________
My Opel Astra 2.0T 200hp

OPC Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #30
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
vwhobo already said the GT was sold in the U.S. lol
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Đ 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.