Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
grace.allison
CF Newbie

lost truck key - complicated situation

Hi everyone,

I'm new here (see introduction post), so i hope that you can help me out.

A 1995 Chevrolet C1500 extended bed truck was left to my boyfriend and I, by a good friend of ours while he deployed to Iraq (both he and my boyfriend are Marines in San Diego, CA).
I recently misplaced the key and can't find it anywhere! The locksmith that i talked to said they can not make us a new key (from the door or ignition - same key) since our names are not on the registration [as the owners of the car]. Apparently in CA you can not make a key for the car unless the owner is actually present.

There was only one key.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i could make/get a new key otherwise? The truck is safely parked at the barracks, but i'd like to figure this out...there must be an easier way than just waiting till September when the owner comes home.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
grace.allison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #2
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

that is one crappy situation....

my only advice would be to travel to some place that will do it for you
ethier that or wait till september or maybe even try to pick the lock

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace.allison
Hi everyone,

I'm new here (see introduction post), so i hope that you can help me out.

A 1995 Chevrolet C1500 extended bed truck was left to my boyfriend and I, by a good friend of ours while he deployed to Iraq (both he and my boyfriend are Marines in San Diego, CA).
I recently misplaced the key and can't find it anywhere! The locksmith that i talked to said they can not make us a new key (from the door or ignition - same key) since our names are not on the registration [as the owners of the car]. Apparently in CA you can not make a key for the car unless the owner is actually present.

There was only one key.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how i could make/get a new key otherwise? The truck is safely parked at the barracks, but i'd like to figure this out...there must be an easier way than just waiting till September when the owner comes home.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
You just explained why you can't do it... It's against the law. Unless you can find a crooked locksmith, your best bet will be to get a power of attorney from him. Alternately, you might be able to work something out through your commander, first shirt, etc.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
that is one crappy situation....

my only advice would be to travel to some place that will do it for you
ethier that or wait till september or maybe even try to pick the lock
Travel some place that will do it for here? Has anyone ever told you to think, type, submit? How exactly is she going to take the truck somewhere to get it done without the key? It must be something about the water in Canada.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #5
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

I meant for her, herself to do it.... but then again, they would need the truck there I would assume...

pretty crappy situation

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
davsmitty
CF Addict

ive noticed that most older chevy trucks seem to have interchangable keys...
Ive lost mine once and a friend of mine came and unlocked the door for me with his keys. I dont know if its just coincedence or if the keys are year specific but, Ive unlocked other peoples doors too so...
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:40 PM   #7
grace.allison
CF Newbie

thanks for everyone's replies so far.

the truck is unlocked, but we just don't have the key to start the ignition etc etc. his wife currently has power of attorney, but she moved back home to New Mexico with the kids...so i guess i'm just out of luck?
Old 04-03-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:

the truck is unlocked, but we just don't have the key to start the ignition etc etc. his wife currently has power of attorney, but she moved back home to New Mexico with the kids...so i guess i'm just out of luck?
The registered owner can accomplish a power of attorney that supercedes the current one and it can be faxed from his deployed location Legal Office to the local orderly room (or whatever the Marines call it). You can have what you need to get the key made in under 48 hours. One of the beautiful things about the military is knowing how to use the system.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
musclecarneon
Banned

Quote:

Why don't you just hotwire it? If you can get the hood open any competent mechanic can do it.
musclecarneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
musclecarneon
Banned

Quote:

Or maybe you could take out the ignition cylinder (the thing you stick the key into) and you might be able to bring it to a locksmith and have him make another key for it ... or maybe it could be replaced?
musclecarneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecarneon
Why don't you just hotwire it? If you can get the hood open any competent mechanic can do it.
You are a grade A f*cking idiot. Just out of curiosity, how is hot wiring it going to unlock the steering column so they can drive it? Can you answer that... MORON?

Old 04-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
adamc44
CF Freak

would maybe his father or family members be able to come down and say that they are him, but then again they could be stationed out of the area. are they that that strict on this kind of stuff out in cali? id just do what hobo says. hes right 99.8% of the time anyways....

http://www.myspace.com/adamc44

adamc44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:03 PM   #13
grace.allison
CF Newbie

thanks for all your advice so far! I think that we are just going to go with the switch of power of attorney idea (or if we can find a locksmith that will do it without it that would be good too).

Does anyone know what procedure they would do to make a new key? Someone told me that since the ignition and door keys are the same they stick a mold in the door lock and make a new key? It's supposed to be fairly simple..
Old 04-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #14
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
thanks for all your advice so far! I think that we are just going to go with the switch of power of attorney idea (or if we can find a locksmith that will do it without it that would be good too).

Does anyone know what procedure they would do to make a new key? Someone told me that since the ignition and door keys are the same they stick a mold in the door lock and make a new key? It's supposed to be fairly simple..
Because a truck of that year probably has the chipped key, and even if it doesn't, you can go to your local GM dealership with the VIN number of the vehicle and get the key made. They can look up on their database not only the key code but also the chip resistance so all you need to do is jump in and go. Otherwise, you have to go through the Passlock learn procedure.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #15
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

Quote:

I could roll to her house and see if she has a spare

Last edited by Zalight : 04-07-2006 at 01:55 AM.
Zalight is offline   Reply With Quote