Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2006, 04:35 PM   #61
davsmitty
CF Addict
 
davsmitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chickasha OK
Posts: 337
everyone and their dog has a 350? the 350 is the single most popular engine swap in the U.S.?
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:26 AM   #62
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Boy, that game lasted a long time. What's wrong? Can't teenagers handle competition that requires mental effort and a little bit of work? You guys are in a word, lame.

This was a good opportunity for you all to learn something and have some fun.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:35 AM   #63
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Boy, that game lasted a long time. What's wrong? Can't teenagers handle competition that requires mental effort and a little bit of work? You guys are in a word, lame.

This was a good opportunity for you all to learn something and have some fun.
Yeah this didn't go the way anyone expected

We should try starting over:

What's the gap spacing (spark plugs) and firing order of a 1993 Subaru Legacy 2.0?

HINT It's a 4cyl. engine lol
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #64
Benson
seeking snappy title.
 
Benson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
One is a 350 Small block chevy, other one is a 400 short block .
Different engines
I defer my question to the hobo

Isn't a short block an engine block with crank, pistons, rods and no heads, intake etc. and a long block an assembled motor?

And for the answer the difference is the 350 is a smallblock and the 400 is a bigblock? I'm pretty sure they didn't make a 400 sb.

P.S. Glagon you are too old for this game!
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:48 AM   #65
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson
Isn't a short block an engine block with crank, pistons, rods and no heads, intake etc. and a long block an assembled motor?

And for the answer the difference is the 350 is a smallblock and the 400 is a bigblock? I'm pretty sure they didn't make a 400 sb.

P.S. Glagon you are too old for this game!
1. More or less correct on the first part. To bad it wasn't the question.

2. Wrong answer, try again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Yeah this didn't go the way anyone expected

We should try starting over:

What's the gap spacing (spark plugs) and firing order of a 1993 Subaru Legacy 2.0?

HINT It's a 4cyl. engine lol
If you want to ask a question, you'll have to answer the last one correctly. Yes, apparently I've taken over and will be the referee. Allow me to paraphrase the active question so there is no misunderstanding.

What are three primary differences between a 350 SBC and a 400 SBC. Bore, stroke and displacement are not acceptable answers.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:04 AM   #66
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
ATTENTION. I will not be answering any questions about small block Chevys until after this portion of the game is completed, no matter how many times you PM me, how interested you are or how nicely you ask.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:14 AM   #67
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
After spending the last hour and a half looking, here's what I came up with:

-The 400ci produced more torque but the 350 more horsepower
-The 400 couldn't pass emitions, and the 350 was very well known
-The 400ci siamesed the cylinder bores, which made it unique from every other small block model.

Are any of those correct? lol
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:15 AM   #68
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
Dammit Chris you beat me to it you little bastard.
Thanks again for the sig

wont find them here
__________________


Last edited by skeetin870 : 04-06-2006 at 04:50 AM.
skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:16 AM   #69
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
After spending the last hour and a half looking, here's what I came up with:

-The 400ci produced more torque but the 350 more horsepower
-The 400 couldn't pass emitions, and the 350 was very well known
-The 400ci siamesed the cylinder bores, which made it unique from every other small block model.

Are any of those correct? lol
Yes, they are all more or less correct. However, only one of them is completely correct AND is a primary difference. Let's go.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:18 AM   #70
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
Did I get the other two??
__________________

skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:25 AM   #71
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer
 
car_crazy89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,849
Okay, not totally sure here, but the 400 sbc had cooling problems so most had 3 frost plugs on each side compared to the 350 sbc 2 plugs. The 400 sbc had the siamesed cylinders and the larger bore which left less room then the 350 had, therefore in the 400 sbc the cylinder wasn't surrounded by a water jacket as the 350 was. Also, I think I saw somewhere that the crank was a little different (if you need more explanation of that, I'll need to try and find the site..)....
__________________

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"

Last edited by car_crazy89 : 04-06-2006 at 04:52 AM.
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:31 AM   #72
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
Dammit Chris you beat me to it you little bastard.
Thanks again for the sig

Ok I think I have it the 400 was unique from the 350 for 3 reasons
1 There is no space between adjacent cylinder liners making the block unsually rigid and not prone to cylinder bore flexing.
2 This block used a much larger 2.65 inch main bearing assuring that crankshafts from all other blocks would not fit without special oversize bearings
3 This is the only small-block that used a 5.56 inch long connecting rod compared to the 5.7 inch connecting rod in all other displacements.

Did I get it?? If not I have lost my faith in wikipedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
Did I get the other two??
Now I have a serious dilemma. Do I accept your entry in the contest or not? You know exactly why I'm asking this question, so... Would you like to come clean or do you want me to out you? You have five minutes from the time I post to respond. Tick tock.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:33 AM   #73
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
Are we not free to research? Yes i asked for your help but you did not give it to me. I went to wikipedia to find my information, I am not aware if this is cheating or not. I asked for your help with no intention of posting in this thread.
__________________

skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:39 AM   #74
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
Are we not free to research? Yes i asked for your help but you did not give it to me. I went to wikipedia to find my information, I am not aware if this is cheating or not. I asked for your help with no intention of posting in this thread.
Bingo. You said in a PM at 2309 hours that you were only researching and were not going to post in this thread. Then at 2315 hours you posted in this thread. It only took you six minutes to do exactly what you said you weren't going to. Where I come from, that is most assuredly attempting to cheat. I don't think that attempted cheaters should even be allowed to compete.

If anyone feels I'm wrong, I'll be happy to listen. But not to you. As far as I'm concerned, you have forfeited your right to play this round. Next.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:43 AM   #75
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast
 
skeetin870's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tulsa Ok
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Bingo. You said in a PM at 2309 hours that you were only researching and were not going to post in this thread. Then at 2315 hours you posted in this thread. It only took you six minutes to do exactly what you said you weren't going to. Where I come from, that is most assuredly attempting to cheat. I don't think that attempted cheaters should even be allowed to compete.

If anyone feels I'm wrong, I'll be happy to listen. But not to you. As far as I'm concerned, you have forfeited your right to play this round. Next.
I meant that I would not post in this thread if I was given the answer by you. I was looking for information from you to learn the answer. I sought out the answer on my own with no help from you. Which is what I beleive the other people answering did. I do not see that as cheating I think we have a misunderstanding from my miswording. I was only using resources to find the answer that I was looking for. I realize that I did say I was not going to post but I meant to say that was if you gave me the answer.
__________________


Last edited by skeetin870 : 04-06-2006 at 04:45 AM.
skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.