Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows

Obviously he did not comprende.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:29 AM   #107
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

ok so a combo of car crazy and skeetin for possibly 3 right answers.

1.The 400 sbc had the siamesed cylinders and the larger bore which left less room then the 350 had, therefore in the 400 sbc the cylinder wasn't surrounded by a water jacket as the 350 was.
2 There is no space between adjacent cylinder liners making the block unsually rigid and not prone to cylinder bore flexing.
3 This block used a much larger 2.65 inch main bearing assuring that crankshafts from all other blocks would not fit without special oversize bearings

im 19 but almost car illiterate does that make me a non qualifier?
Old 04-07-2006, 03:35 AM   #108
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
ok so a combo of car crazy and skeetin for possibly 3 right answers.

1.The 400 sbc had the siamesed cylinders and the larger bore which left less room then the 350 had, therefore in the 400 sbc the cylinder wasn't surrounded by a water jacket as the 350 was.
2 There is no space between adjacent cylinder liners making the block unsually rigid and not prone to cylinder bore flexing.
3 This block used a much larger 2.65 inch main bearing assuring that crankshafts from all other blocks would not fit without special oversize bearings

im 19 but almost car illiterate does that make me a non qualifier?
You just went backwards. Now your #1 and #2 say essentially the same thing, so you only really have two answers. Upon further review by my sometimes over the shoulder reviewer, we'll call you the winner based on the answers in your last post... Unless you'd rather stand on the answers in this post. Your choice.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:42 AM   #109
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
You just went backwards. Now your #1 and #2 say essentially the same thing, so you only really have two answers. Upon further review by my sometimes over the shoulder reviewer, we'll call you the winner based on the answers in your last post... Unless you'd rather stand on the answers in this post. Your choice.

ok well, credit goes to chris,car crazy, and skeetin, dunno about dodge.

I'll let someone else ask the next question since I don't have full knowledge of car history, and well thats basically what im trying to learn (not specifically here, but lots of reading here and there haha)
Old 04-07-2006, 03:47 AM   #110
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
ok well, credit goes to chris,car crazy, and skeetin, dunno about dodge.

I'll let someone else ask the next question since I don't have full knowledge of car history, and well thats basically what im trying to learn (not specifically here, but lots of reading here and there haha)

dodge is disqualified, b/c he's too lazy to read all the way from the beginning...

uhhh.... i'm 18, hobo...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 04:00 AM   #111
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

ok the next question...

In keeping with the engine case theme, what is the primary difference between the engine cases on a 1958 VW 1200cc and a 1962 VW 1200cc?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:01 AM   #112
99integra
CF's Florida boy

The carb didn't lead to fires?
Old 04-07-2006, 04:49 AM   #113
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
ok the next question...

In keeping with the engine case theme, what is the primary difference between the engine cases on a 1958 VW 1200cc and a 1962 VW 1200cc?
Could it be that the '58 had 36hp and the '62 had four more? lol
Old 04-07-2006, 04:52 AM   #114
Mathew

This is getting really stupid, why is everyone asking extremely specific questions? This is supposed to be about general knowledge for 13-18 year olds, not 57 year old veterans.

Here's a question for the kids. Why are engines mounted longitudely(sp?) and why are engines mounted transversely. (In general.)
Old 04-07-2006, 04:55 AM   #115
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
This is getting really stupid, why is everyone asking extremely specific questions? This is supposed to be about general knowledge for 13-18 year olds, not 57 year old veterans.

Here's a question for the kids. Why are engines mounted longitudely(sp?) and why are engines mounted transversely. (In general.)
Because a specific question can be answered with a specific answer, but a question like yours is ambiguous at best and impossible to accurately answer at worst. Think, type, submit.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-07-2006, 05:07 AM   #116
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
ok the next question...

The 1962 engine had 4 main bearings and a 7.0:1 compression ratio
The 1958 engine had 5 main bearings and 6.6:1 compression ratio

Last edited by skeetin870 : 04-07-2006 at 05:27 AM.
skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:13 AM   #117
Mathew

Quote:
Because a specific question can be answered with a specific answer, but a question like yours is ambiguous at best and impossible to accurately answer at worst. Think, type, submit.

Only a small number of people will be able to answer questions related to extremely specific cars of specific years. The point of this, is to see what teenagers know. Most teenagers are not going to know those specific things, without looking it up. A teenager might know the answer to a general question with a simple answer.

If I told you the answer to my question, which you obviously know, you would point out 15 extremely rare exceptions spanning 60 years, just to reinforce the fact that you are an asshole, and will never be outdone, so long as you live.

Because you can't stand the idea of anyone out there making a good point (or a good post). You have to interject, and impress everyone with your years of experience that have made you the wonderful human being you are today.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:19 AM   #118
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I guess I'm stuck with it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Could it be that the '58 had 36hp and the '62 had four more? lol
How is the horsepower difference related to the engine cases. Your info is correct, the answer is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeetin870
The 1962 engine had 4 main bearings The 1958 engine had 5 main bearings
Only half of that answer is correct, and that's some bizzaro information.

With that I'm done for today. Good night and good luck.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:20 AM   #119
Mathew

Quote:

Good night and good luck.

Way to quote someone with way more class than you.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:27 AM   #120
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
Only a small number of people will be able to answer questions related to extremely specific cars of specific years. The point of this, is to see what teenagers know. Most teenagers are not going to know those specific things, without looking it up. A teenager might know the answer to a general question with a simple answer.

If I told you the answer to my question, which you obviously know, you would point out 15 extremely rare exceptions spanning 60 years, just to reinforce the fact that you are an asshole, and will never be outdone, so long as you live.

Because you can't stand the idea of anyone out there making a good point (or a good post). You have to interject, and impress everyone with your years of experience that have made you the wonderful human being you are today.
So let me get this right. You just said that you agree with me, but it's my fault that you're wrong. You don't have a leg to stand on so you go for the cheap personal attack. I don't give a f*ck about this game AND I'm not the one who asked the question.

If you have a problem with me, I don't give one rats ass. You are an idiot and have proven it once again. What a surprise. It looks to me like you're the one with a chip on your shoulder and can't stand to have a post where people are enjoying themselves without interjecting your special brand of bullsh*t. This thread is just one more example. I was asked to be here, by at least five members. Where you?