Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2005, 12:35 AM   #211
Bonniedriver
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 5
air bags

a girl asked me one time how the air bags would ever stop the car safely from a crash ....... just .. lol
Bonniedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #212
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 637
alright super nooob question here and ill probably catch alot of crap for it but if mostly all 4 cylinders are I4 and 6 cylinders are V6, the I in I4 stands for inline, but what does inline mean? and also what does the V in V6 stand for and what does that mean.

alright ive toughened up, laugh your butt off at me
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:16 PM   #213
-What-
Banned
 
-What-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Everywhere! Previous Join Date: Jul 2004 Status: Banned
Posts: 48
I remember one time, this guy asked "what does inline mean?". Then he went on to ask "what does the V in V6 stand for?".

I laughed at him and directed him to this website:
http://www.musclecarclub.com/library...ne-types.shtml
-What- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:57 PM   #214
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire
 
DSMer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem
alright super nooob question here and ill probably catch alot of crap for it but if mostly all 4 cylinders are I4 and 6 cylinders are V6, the I in I4 stands for inline, but what does inline mean? and also what does the V in V6 stand for and what does that mean.

alright ive toughened up, laugh your butt off at me

How could you not know what inline means? The word implies its meaning. In a line. You remember how you used to do in preschool. Where you would all get together in a straight line. Well in line means the cylinders are in a line like so...



The V in V6 does'nt really mean anything but gives you a representation of how the block is setup. The pistons are arranged on an agle in a v shape and look something like this..

__________________

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:21 AM   #215
boothe
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: DC
Posts: 321
" Its advantages are its short length, the great rigidity of the block, its heavy crankshaft, and attractive low profile (for a car with a low hood)"

If we are working noob questions, you mind explaining why "the block" and "heavy crankshaft" are advantages?

-- nice link by the way. Might come in handy
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:47 AM   #216
comet-63
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19
engine explanations

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
How could you not know what inline means? The word implies its meaning. In a line. You remember how you used to do in preschool. Where you would all get together in a straight line. Well in line means the cylinders are in a line like so...



The V in V6 does'nt really mean anything but gives you a representation of how the block is setup. The pistons are arranged on an agle in a v shape and look something like this..


Ok, Now really confuse him and explain a volkswagen w8.
comet-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #217
Rockn-A-T88
Banned
 
Rockn-A-T88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 99
DSMer is great for bashing people....read all of his posts.
Rockn-A-T88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:19 AM   #218
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by comet-63
Ok, Now really confuse him and explain a volkswagen w8.

While he's at it he might as well confuse him some more by explaining the Horizontal-Opposed Engines, Rotary Engines and X-Engines. (all that comes to mind..)
__________________

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 03-24-2005 at 07:22 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:22 AM   #219
Rockn-A-T88
Banned
 
Rockn-A-T88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 99
He is going to hurt some feelings any second now......DSMer is ready to BASH!!!! LOL
Rockn-A-T88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 06:56 AM   #220
comet-63
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
While he's at it he might as well confuse him some more by explaining the Horizontal-Opposed Engines, Rotary Engines and X-Engines. (all that comes to mind..)

How could I forget those H4 and H6 engines that Subaru is so famous for. And I must have too many times to forget the Wankle engine.
comet-63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:12 AM   #221
Xploder87
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 13
.......................

Last edited by Xploder87 : 03-29-2005 at 01:16 AM.
Xploder87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:15 AM   #222
Xploder87
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 13
A girl i know asked me what the difference was between and Auto And Manual Trans
Xploder87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 04:22 AM   #223
Oomba
Banned
 
Oomba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,137
Someone once told me that a stock Talon ESi "only has 20 psi of boost"

I once thought that BMW stood for British Motor Works
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:32 AM   #224
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer
 
dodgerforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Farm in Saskatchewan...
Posts: 2,202
this girl i know...the other day...best one about cars that i've personally heard...

her: manual? is that auto or shift?
me: *jaw drops*...shift.
her: damn!

side note: shes 19, has enough trouble driving an auto, and does not have her license. I pray she never does get her license.

Last edited by dodgerforlife : 04-17-2005 at 10:55 AM.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #225
speed_freak
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10
at the F1 a couple of kids thought the skyline on show had nos cause the intercool pipes were exposed and blue
speed_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.