Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2006, 05:19 AM   #1
bobdaman17
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9
99 Camry LE Asthetic Mods

Alright, so im gonna be getting a 99 camry le, im not happy about it but im gonna make the best of it. Right now its driven by an old lady and it looks it. I wanna make it more appealing to people of my age group (18). Im looking for some relatively inexpensive things i can do to make this stock car look nicer.

heres a link to pretty much what my car looks like(not mine tho). Same color and stuff, its got pinstripes too.

http://images.automotive.com/tmpimag...Camry-8263.jpg

I was hoping to spend like 500 or less. If thats not enough to do anything then i'd go for like 800. Plz help, i dunno anything about car asthetics, so don't count on me to know what "good rims" would look like. Thx in advance.
bobdaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdaman17
Alright, so im gonna be getting a 99 camry le, im not happy about it but im gonna make the best of it. Right now its driven by an old lady and it looks it. I wanna make it more appealing to people of my age group (18). Im looking for some relatively inexpensive things i can do to make this stock car look nicer.

heres a link to pretty much what my car looks like(not mine tho). Same color and stuff, its got pinstripes too.

http://images.automotive.com/tmpimag...Camry-8263.jpg

I was hoping to spend like 500 or less. If thats not enough to do anything then i'd go for like 800. Plz help, i dunno anything about car asthetics, so don't count on me to know what "good rims" would look like. Thx in advance.
This is a "good rim".

__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 06:08 AM   #3
bobdaman17
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9
So if i put on rims like those i'll pick up all the hunnies?
bobdaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #4
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
NO no no, what he means is you don't need rims, you need wheels. Do yourself a favor and go look up rims in the dictionary, then look up wheels. I'd personally look into performance mods before aesthic mods.
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
hondaman
I drive a Buick.
 
hondaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Somewhere in Alabama
Posts: 1,432
I think it's a perfectly fine looking car the way it is, but whatever.
__________________
hondaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore
 
StiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 2,964
I have a 1999 Toyota Camry CE. Trust me, in people our age group whatever you do will still make them laugh--it will always be a Camry. Hell, it may even look stupider if you do anything. I'd suggest just leaving it be and save your money. (Not saying I dont like it, but I get made fun of plenty.)
__________________
John

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
bobdaman17
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9
elch, from what i understood, trying to do performance mods is a waste of time. At least thats what i got from you guys before. It would be nice if i could squeeze a little bit more power out of it tho. Im driving a contour now and im actually gonna get a downgrade when it comes to acceleration.

So, what would be your reccomendation to get a littlre more power out of it? Waste of time? And also, im thinking of getting different wheels, the stock ones are really really ugly. Im not gonna be dumb and get spinners or something, but just something low key and respectable. Thoughts?
bobdaman17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore
 
StiMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdaman17
elch, from what i understood, trying to do performance mods is a waste of time. At least thats what i got from you guys before. It would be nice if i could squeeze a little bit more power out of it tho. Im driving a contour now and im actually gonna get a downgrade when it comes to acceleration.

So, what would be your reccomendation to get a littlre more power out of it? Waste of time? And also, im thinking of getting different wheels, the stock ones are really really ugly. Im not gonna be dumb and get spinners or something, but just something low key and respectable. Thoughts?
So you have the I4 correct? The only major thing that you could do would be one of those stupid fart-cannon exhausts and/or better intake. Most of the performance parts that I have seen are for the V6. If you really want a fast car you should sell it and get something else...
Perhaps the best way to make a statement would be to just get a new (audio) system. If thats what you want, get thunderbird to help you out (hes a member here... you'll see him around I bet).
__________________
John

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:27 AM   #9
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
I'd look into an engine swap. Anyone know if the Toyota 3S-GTE could be fabricated to fit the Camry?? I know it's a stretch seeing as how the engine was primarly used in rear wheel drive and awd layout. That would be one mean ass 4-banger Camry though.

Or how about getting your hands on a 1MZ-FE (Camry and Avalon V6)
__________________

Last edited by elchango36 : 04-07-2006 at 06:32 AM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire
 
Pythias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio, U.S.
Posts: 1,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
I'd look into an engine swap. Anyone know if the Toyota 3S-GTE could be fabricated to fit the Camry?? I know it's a stretch seeing as how the engine was primarly used in rear wheel drive and awd layout. That would be one mean ass 4-banger Camry though.

Or how about getting your hands on a 1MZ-FE (Camry and Avalon V6)

So far what we know is this kid is young, wants his car too look better, and obviously doesn't have a big budget 500-800$. Where exactly would a MOTOR SWAP fit in? Chances are he has no knowledge of doing such a thing, so to pay a shop to swap in a different motor with a budget of 500-800$ makes no sense to me what so ever, especially when what he originally wanted was exterior mods because of it being hard to upgrade his current engine.
__________________
"Though I drive through the valley of rice,I shall fear no turbo for torque art with me. Thy rod and piston, they comfort me."

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
elchango36
WWJCD
 
elchango36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Last year @ SIUC
Posts: 2,122
Yes, but he later asked for some performance mod advice. I gave him my . All he has to do is save some money.
__________________
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdaman17
So if i put on rims like those i'll pick up all the hunnies?
No no no, first you have to have balls and not rely on a car to pick them up
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
No no no, first you have to have balls and not rely on a car to pick them up
If that was how it worked, sales of Corvettes would go down considerably.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:18 PM   #14
99integra
CF's Florida boy
 
99integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 6,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
If that was how it worked, sales of Corvettes would go down considerably.
Hehe
__________________
Current whip: walking
99integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:54 AM   #15
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
If youre a true pimp, you dont need a good lookin car (i got one anyway) to get girls...i can drive a 95 caravan and il get em in there. Just get nicer wheels, and winow tints, youre all set...BTW dont expect to get ANY new wheels, for under 500 with tires (unless you wnat 13in ones). Go for some nice 17in. Check pep boys, they carry the Motegi brand and they actualy make pretty good stuff. For around 1000 you can make it good. That or you can get a sound system, but either way, if you want wheels, and tints, or system and tints, youre looking at a g easy.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.