Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
froggirl1129
CF Newbie

Exclamation Help....newbie with car troubles!

Hello...I am a 29 year old mom with a full time job and am a full time student. I don't have a lot of money or time for repairs and am having trouble with two of my vehicles.....though I am going to focus on one for now. I posted in the introduction section and here....hope this is the correct section! Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated....but please dont try to help if you don't have a lot of experience or knowledge to back you up, because I can't afford to be wrong at my attempts to fix. I hope that doesn't sound rude...I am just desperate here........
I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee that wont go into gear about 90% of the time. It just stays idling in neutral after I move the shifter to any gear. It is an automatic, V8 and 4 wheel drive. It was having electrical problems for a couple of weeks prior to the gear problems. Is it possible that there is some electrical problem causing the gear problem? I am guessing it to be in need of a new transmission.
Thanks again for any advice!
Take care.
froggirl1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #2
unclepudge
CF Newbie

car troubles

It's very possible with all the new technology,you can possibly bring it to a mechanic and have a scanner troubleshoot it?
unclepudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
azkid110
CF Enthusiast

i doubt you need a new transmission, but it sounds like you need more tranny fluid.
azkid110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 05:25 AM   #4
froggirl1129
CF Newbie

Thanks for the idea of a mechanic...don't know what I would do without your guidance....problem being that I live very far from town and it would cost me too much to have it towed there, diagnosed and then towed back. I was really hoping for some help here, not sarcasm.
Also, it is not lacking transmission fluid--that is definitely not the issue.
PLEASE--any more ideas??
Old 04-07-2006, 05:36 AM   #5
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

This is gonna sound retarded, I know, but my old CRX was having the same problem and it turned out to be the shifter linkage itself not the transmission. Would you be doing the repairs on this yourself?
Old 04-07-2006, 05:54 AM   #6
froggirl1129
CF Newbie

Yes i am trying to repair it myself....i usually do my own repairs, with the guidance of others, should i not know the problem myself.
I do not know anything about shifter linkages, but the name itself leads me to believe it wouldnt be that because the way the shifter feels when i shift...it feels normal, like it is moving from one gear to the next....it just doesnt seem like the transmission actually goes into gear....I COULD BE WAY OFF THERE...so please correct me if i am wrong.