Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2006, 05:04 AM   #1
stringmaster
CF Newbie

Mazda 6 or Toyota XRS?

Hi guys im new to this forum. i will be buying a car within the next 2 months. and first i had my eyes on the toyota XRS... but after riding a friends mazda, i was amazed how smooth the ride was and how much power it had (stock).

Why Corolla? cheaper car, good engine and handling.. i've been driving my moms corolla for 3 years now and i adapted to it.. sounds sissy yes.. but i think im playing safe?

I never drove a Mazda or know much about them can anyone give feedback? I plan to lower my car, change the sparks and clutch for the first few months.. everything else is secondary (turbo)

This will be my first car and insurance will kill so how can i save money on this thing please help ! thanks
stringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringmaster
Hi guys im new to this forum. i will be buying a car within the next 2 months. and first i had my eyes on the toyota XRS... but after riding a friends mazda, i was amazed how smooth the ride was and how much power it had (stock).

Why Corolla? cheaper car, good engine and handling.. i've been driving my moms corolla for 3 years now and i adapted to it.. sounds sissy yes.. but i think im playing safe?

I never drove a Mazda or know much about them can anyone give feedback? I plan to lower my car, change the sparks and clutch for the first few months.. everything else is secondary (turbo)

This will be my first car and insurance will kill so how can i save money on this thing please help ! thanks
"change the sparks and clutch..."?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:10 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
"change the sparks and clutch..."?
Maybe spark plugs and a short throw shifter? lol

BTW for saving money up, I'd suggest, say...I don't know, a savings account? lol
Old 04-08-2006, 05:19 AM   #4
stringmaster
CF Newbie

yeah im thinking about small upgrades first.. savings account yes.. haha i work at the bank.. but.. income is still tight.. but back to the models.. what would you guys suggest?
stringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

First I suggest you explain to us how to replace a clutch. And if you are changing the spark plugs, why you aren't changing the spark plug wires as well as they usually go hand in hand. Do you know what a PCV valve is? Fuel Filter? Transmission Filter, as well as oil? Rear end fluid?

These are just SOME maintenance things that should be done on cars, granted not all at the same time, but the point I'm getting at is do you know at all what you're talking about or are you going off of "The Slow and Stupid"?

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Maybe spark plugs and a short throw shifter? lol

BTW for saving money up, I'd suggest, say...I don't know, a savings account? lol

Naws is good, always use naws.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringmaster

That's a large difference in price. I would compare the Camry with the 6, and the mazda 3 with the corolla. Personally; it depends on how long you are going to keep the car. If you are going to keep it for a while, the Toyota would be more reliable long term, but the Mazda is so much more powerful and looks so much better. But if i were you, i would choose neither, and wait for the Honda Civic SI Sedan, outhandles all of its competition, its power is decent, not mazda 6 level (normally, you don't compare these two, but you mentioned the 6) but still pretty good, bulletproof reliability, and it looks so much better then the corolla.

But if i had to choose between the corolla and 6, i would go for the 6, but for less money you can get a Civic SI Sedan which is the best bang for buck, at least i think so.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:30 AM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
That's a large difference in price. I would compare the Camry with the 6, and the mazda 3 with the corolla. Personally; it depends on how long you are going to keep the car. If you are going to keep it for a while, the Toyota would be more reliable long term, but the Mazda is so much more powerful and looks so much better. But if i were you, i would choose neither, and wait for the Honda Civic SI Sedan, outhandles all of its competition, its power is decent, not mazda 6 level (normally, you don't compare these two, but you mentioned the 6) but still pretty good, bulletproof reliability, and it looks so much better then the corolla.

But if i had to choose between the corolla and 6, i would go for the 6, but for less money you can get a Civic SI Sedan which is the best bang for buck, at least i think so.
Ditto except I would choose the Toyota. The 6 is in the Camry/ Accord section, so power is going to be more because the car is bigger. The Mazda competitor in the Corolla's segment is the 3. The Corolla doesnt look very nice though, but its reliability is much better than a Mazda's. If you want performance I would get the Civic SI Sedan or perhaps consider a Impreza WRX.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote