Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 AM   #16
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedanewcar
torque converter it stays automatic but it just shifts better automatically for u?
No...All automatics come with a torue converter, but an aftermarket one will make your car shift faster...Check out how automatic transmissions work on howstuffworks.com if you're interested
Old 04-10-2006, 01:52 AM   #17
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
No...All automatics come with a torue converter, but an aftermarket one will make your car shift faster...Check out how automatic transmissions work on howstuffworks.com if you're interested
Better double check that "information"...

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 01:58 AM   #18
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Oops, the torque converter is only on newer cars, older cars had a fluid coupling instead, and some cars with CVT's don't have them either (I think )
Old 04-10-2006, 01:59 AM   #19
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Oops, the torque converter is only on newer cars, older cars had a fluid coupling instead, and some cars with CVT's don't have them either (I think )

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-10-2006, 02:05 AM   #20
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
So...the torque converter is only on newer cars, older cars had a fluid coupling instead.

Now?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:09 AM   #21
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
So...the torque converter is only on newer cars, older cars had a fluid coupling instead.

Now?
Do I need to say it again? Go back to your first "fact" filled post that I caught and erase all of your posted information after that from your mind. Start with a clean slate and maybe you'll get it right.

Old 04-10-2006, 02:11 AM   #22
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:

Quote:
No...Almost all newer automatics come with a torue converter, but an aftermarket one will potentially make your car shift faster...Check out how automatic transmissions work on howstuffworks.com if you're interested

Can I at least get some help?
Old 04-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #23
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Can I at least get some help?
I just took a quick glance and your buddies at how stuff works cover most of it. You just have to slow down and read the words.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:36 AM   #24
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson
They assume every kid that gets a car is going to destroy it or kill someone Any car can go fast enough to kill you, a pedestrian or an oncoming motorist and if you are responsible too, you can have a fast car and still not wreck it or wrap it around a pole.
My SHO was my first car and I have had it over 9 months and have yet to even hit anything. Granted I had my liscence for 3 months before I got my car and had to pay for it myself so maybe I took care of it because I appreciated it.

skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 04:29 AM   #25
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
I just took a quick glance and your buddies at how stuff works cover most of it. You just have to slow down and read the words.
Actually, I hadn't read that in a while, and I also read about continuously variable transmissions...A torque converter is a type of fluid coupling, CVT's don't have torque converters and but rather automated clutches...I think that covers it all?
Old 04-10-2006, 08:32 AM   #26
Wally
I Know More Than You

misplaced post...sorry
Old 04-10-2006, 04:37 PM   #27
ineedanewcar
CF Newbie

im so confused i need a mustang expert to help me out
ineedanewcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #28
Wally
I Know More Than You

Why are you confused? If your Mustang is an automatic it will come with a torque convertor and you won't have to spend countless hours changing gears. If it is fitted with a manual gearbox you will exercise your left foot and right arm, forgoing the pleasures of having something doing the work for you.

A manual will allow you to be fastest, hippest, phatest, wickedest, sikest boy racer that ever hit the street. People will line the streets just to see you and marvel how you can co_ordinate hand/eye/foot movement with bullet like reflexes. Sure you will resolve not to act the fool, but lets face it, it has a V8, it has a gearbag, it has "drive me like a demon" factory fitted and you're only young once.

An automatic is for old dudes with withered gonads, who no longer have testestorone coursing through their bodies. Sure they will generally trounce a young buck with a manual, but where's the fun in that. Redlining an engine through the gears is much more fun and worth the accelerated wear, maintenance costs, increased risk of a crash and fuel bills. I really don't understand why parents insist on safety being an issue when buying a car.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:08 AM   #29
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benson
They assume every kid that gets a car is going to destroy it or kill someone Any car can go fast enough to kill you, a pedestrian or an oncoming motorist and if you are responsible too, you can have a fast car and still not wreck it or wrap it around a pole.
I usually give kids the benefit of the doubt (probably a mistake), but this one just seems like he's seen FNF a few too many times. In his earlier post he talks about how he goes down to the local street races, and is sick of getting beat in his F150 so he's getting a 'Stang. For the record, I was 17 when I got my Camaro, 0 tickets, 0 accidents. I know some kids can be responsible, but he doesn't seem like one of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedanewcar
im so confused i need a mustang expert to help me out
Check out www.corral.net

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:20 AM   #30
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I usually give kids the benefit of the doubt (probably a mistake), but this one just seems like he's seen FNF a few too many times. In his earlier post he talks about how he goes down to the local street races, and is sick of getting beat in his F150 so he's getting a 'Stang. For the record, I was 17 when I got my Camaro, 0 tickets, 0 accidents. I know some kids can be responsible, but he doesn't seem like one of them.

Check out www.corral.net
Yeah, there's some kid at my school with a Camaro (1999?), and he honestly seems like the most responsible driver, there's kids in their parents' minivans "burning out" on a small road by the school lol