Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
Morphias87
CF Newbie
 
Morphias87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 83
My first car!!!

Well guys its official, I finaly bought my first car. I don't know how, but I ended up geting a VW. Its a 95 Jetta 3. The bad news....Its already making a noise. The problem is when I slow down usaly after going any speed its starts to shake almost and make this clicky noise, its hard to explain. It only makes the noise when i slow down. Its towards the front of the car. If you have any idea whats the problem please help because I'm debating on wether or not to register the car or get my money back. If you need any more information I'll be more then glad to tell you what you need.
Morphias87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
SuperJew
I like pie.
 
SuperJew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Suburbia Central, New York
Posts: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphias87
Well guys its official, I finaly bought my first car. I don't know how, but I ended up geting a VW. Its a 95 Jetta 3. The bad news....Its already making a noise. The problem is when I slow down usaly after going any speed its starts to shake almost and make this clicky noise, its hard to explain. It only makes the noise when i slow down. Its towards the front of the car. If you have any idea whats the problem please help because I'm debating on wether or not to register the car or get my money back. If you need any more information I'll be more then glad to tell you what you need.

could it be your brakes? just taking a random stab...

and congrats!
__________________


CF's Resident Pimp Slapper

Pimp Slap Count (as of 30 May 2004): 34
SuperJew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:45 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphias87
Well guys its official, I finaly bought my first car. I don't know how, but I ended up geting a VW. Its a 95 Jetta 3. The bad news....Its already making a noise. The problem is when I slow down usaly after going any speed its starts to shake almost and make this clicky noise, its hard to explain. It only makes the noise when i slow down. Its towards the front of the car. If you have any idea whats the problem please help because I'm debating on wether or not to register the car or get my money back. If you need any more information I'll be more then glad to tell you what you need.
I'd go with the brakes too....sounds to me as if your front discs could be warped, brake pad wear also plays a part in this sort of thing more often than not too...not too sure about the clicking though, is it always at the same time as the shaking?
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
Coffin Type R
CF Addict
 
Coffin Type R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 271
Chech the rotors on the front brakes. They are probably warped. I know i had similar problem but with 4-disc brakes.
Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 03:55 AM   #5
Morphias87
CF Newbie
 
Morphias87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I'd go with the brakes too....sounds to me as if your front discs could be warped, brake pad wear also plays a part in this sort of thing more often than not too...not too sure about the clicking though, is it always at the same time as the shaking?

Yea it shakes and makes that noise at the same time. Do you have any kind of price range this might be to repair, I know theres not enough information but if you had to take a guess for repairs(asuming its the brakes) what would you say? Thnx for all the help.
Morphias87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 04:34 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphias87
Yea it shakes and makes that noise at the same time. Do you have any kind of price range this might be to repair, I know theres not enough information but if you had to take a guess for repairs(asuming its the brakes) what would you say? Thnx for all the help.
No probs, as my profile says, I'm from the UK so I'm not sure how our prices differ to yours. Anyways, providing it is the front brake discs and pads (you'll have to replace the pads too) 200 (I'm not sure what that is in US dollars though, sorry) to have a garage do the job or probably half that if you do it yourself, It's an easy enough job to do yourself though. If you need an explanation on how to do the job feel free to ask, as there are a few tips to help you out

Good luck!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 04:38 PM   #7
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast
 
Integra_LS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 177
I would just pay to have the car looked at. It's never a bad idea for a brand new car. God forbid you drive 200 miles and your cars tranny falls on the ground or something
__________________
Face down...

<Power to Weight>



Integra_LS - Member of the unofficial vwhobo fan
Integra_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:08 AM   #8
Hiens
CF Newbie
 
Hiens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Quebec, Canada ( wv, usa home)
Posts: 73
Not much help to you there. the only suggestion i can give is get a new higher bhp engine as well as new tranny and cluch and brakes. Then if it still makes noise you might want to try and take out the tapes and CD's in the side pocket.
__________________
Dr. Noble. Health tip of the week: Don't Piss off The Hobo.
Official Member and verbal punching-bag of the Unifficial VWHobo's fan club.

Happy? No.
Hiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 04:43 AM   #9
Coffin Type R
CF Addict
 
Coffin Type R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central Cali
Posts: 271
Here in fresno, the price range is about $150-200 plus parts, if the shop does it. The best bet for you is a series of options; 1) a phone book. 2) a friend with some car/brakes knowledge. 3) a seriou sit down with good old Chiltons. If none of the above apply, i suggest Mienikie(sp?) Good Luck.
__________________
Why do ideas seem good when you think but arent when they are implemented?

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 06:52 AM   #10
Morphias87
CF Newbie
 
Morphias87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 83
Well guys, I brought the car to a mechanic, whole front end is f*cked up. Theres a list of problems but to lazy to tpye them, well anyway its gonna cost atleast $2,000 to fix and considering i only payed 900 for it i said no way and I got my money back from the person I bought it from. They fealt really bad and even gave me 1,000 instead of 900 for my troubles and what not. Now i'm going to a dealer, I think i may just lease a new car or something, we'll see.
Morphias87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 07:30 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphias87
Well guys, I brought the car to a mechanic, whole front end is f*cked up. Theres a list of problems but to lazy to tpye them, well anyway its gonna cost atleast $2,000 to fix and considering i only payed 900 for it i said no way and I got my money back from the person I bought it from. They fealt really bad and even gave me 1,000 instead of 900 for my troubles and what not. Now i'm going to a dealer, I think i may just lease a new car or something, we'll see.
lol...the guy you bought it from should have sold it as seen...then he would have been able to fob you off, still, I'm glad you got it back to him, oh and btw..$900 is very cheap for any '95 VW....every wondered why it was cheap?
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 02:24 AM   #12
Morphias87
CF Newbie
 
Morphias87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 83
Well it does have a shit load of miles on it, 127,000.
Morphias87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 08:46 AM   #13
Morphias87
CF Newbie
 
Morphias87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 83
Well I think I finaly have a car I'm going to stick with. Its not as fast as the Jetta nor is it a manuel transmission but its a 1997 Toyota Corolla. I do live in the city so i'm not disapointed that its automatic but like most Toyota's, it is very reliable. It drives real smooth and I have nothing to complain about so far, but if I do encounter a problem you'll be sure to hear it, thnx for all the previous responces on my (old) Jetta!
Morphias87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.