Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
MrM.
CF Newbie

Jetta Gas Mileage.

Greetings,

I am by no means a car buff, and in terms of technical problems, I am usually stumped. Anyhow, my wife and I are having some problems with her 1996 Jetta right now. The gas mileage sucks. We noticed this a while ago and brought it into my mechanic (whom I trust) and he replaced a few things. He did the following:

Tune Up
Timing Belt Replaced
4 Spark Plugs Replaced
Ignition Wires
Ignition Rotor
Fuel Filter

He figured that this should help the problem. It hasn't. We filled the tank up and have driven 150 kilometres and we've already burned a half a tank of gas with a small 4 cylinder engine.

Should I just bring it back to my mechanic, or does anyone have any recommendations? My father-in-law had mentioned something about getting some STP Fuel Injector Cleaner (I think?), and putting that in the car to help with carbon build up. Any thoughts? Is this the right thing to do? If so, when should I do it and how often, or as I said before, should I just bring it back to my mechanic. Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Cheers.
MrM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
MrM.
CF Newbie

All other systems seem to be in check. There are no lights coming on and the driver's foot is usually pretty "light", especially considering the car can't do much even if your foot is heavy. Any ideas?

Cheers.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:22 AM   #3
MrM.
CF Newbie

In terms of the mileage, it seems to have gotten slightly better since the timing belt change. But I emphasize slightly. Are all of those computer tests something I should ask my mechanic about?

Cheers