Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
cemental
CF Newbie

94 dodge caravan hard to start when cold

i just purchased a 94 dodge caravan. its a 6 cylinder.anyways when i left the lot it ran and started fine.next couple of days its been hard to start when cold. cranks and cranks and eventually almost draining the battery.especially first start in the morning.lot salesman says vehicle was sold as is. can some one please give me some advice as to what my be causing this hard start when cold. oh, by the way the check engine light came on and its still on. thanks...........
cemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 06:29 PM   #2
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

If your check engine light is coming on then you should try to retrieve your DTC's and go from there.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:05 PM   #3
SyntheticTrust
Female of the *****

It could just be the fact that it's indeed cold. My civic does that in winter. It takes it a second to crank and revs highs before idoling. I would say just let it sit there for about 5 minutes to warm up after you get it cranked so the battery charges back up. If it's just the weather, it should be fine.

Whoever said money doesn't buy happiness obviously doesn't know where to buy a HORSE.
SyntheticTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemental
i just purchased a 94 dodge caravan. its a 6 cylinder.anyways when i left the lot it ran and started fine.next couple of days its been hard to start when cold. cranks and cranks and eventually almost draining the battery.especially first start in the morning.lot salesman says vehicle was sold as is. can some one please give me some advice as to what my be causing this hard start when cold. oh, by the way the check engine light came on and its still on. thanks...........
I'm sure you have certain rights as a consumer....I'm confused as to why the salesman said what he did...Maybe you guys dont have a system in place to protect you against buying faulty goods? It's one thing to not have a warrenty, it's quite another to buy a Dog that's faulty when you purchased it!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #5
cemental
CF Newbie

94 dodge caravan

i retrieved the code. 31. it pointed me to a bad evap purge solenoid. can this be the problem to a hard start when cold?....
cemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:02 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemental
i retrieved the code. 31. it pointed me to a bad evap purge solenoid. can this be the problem to a hard start when cold?....
Probably not. As a matter of fact a purge solenoid will most likely not cause any sort of driveability issue. Your cold start is more likely a secondary ignition or faulty fuel pump check valve problem. It's hard to say without datastream info at a minimum or idealy seeing the vehicle.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote