Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #1
jfoote
CF Newbie

Jeff Foote

Hello,

I recently had my windshield wiper motor replaced in my 1988 Chevy Nova, but on return of the car, the wipers only functioned at one speed, the intermittent control would not work, and the wipers would not park in the down position. Previous to replacing the motor, all of these funtions worked. Can this be related to the alignment of the wipers or wiper linkage? Any comments you can offer on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to gather enough info. to prevent from being stonewalled by the repair shop.

Thanks again,

Jeff
jfoote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoote
Hello,

I recently had my windshield wiper motor replaced in my 1988 Chevy Nova, but on return of the car, the wipers only functioned at one speed, the intermittent control would not work, and the wipers would not park in the down position. Previous to replacing the motor, all of these funtions worked. Can this be related to the alignment of the wipers or wiper linkage? Any comments you can offer on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to gather enough info. to prevent from being stonewalled by the repair shop.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Alignment of the linkage or indexing of the blades would have no effect on this. They would simply sweep and park in the wrong place. It appears that you have either a malfunctioning or incorrect wiper motor installed from your description.

Now, for the real question. If your previous wiper motor had multiple speeds, the intermittent function worked and the wipers parked properly, why on earth would you have the motor replaced to begin with? Enquiring minds want to know... Because we suspect there's some pertinent piece of information that is intentionally being left out.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
jfoote
CF Newbie

jfoote

Thanks vwhobo for your input. The wiper motor had to be replaced because the motor housing cracked and the bracket that mounts the motor to the firewall attaches to the motor housing. Once the integrity of the housing was compromised, the motor became loose on the firewall and consequently, it was effecting the wiper operation. I limped it along by using a few nylon tie straps to hold it in place temporarily and it worked, but I eventually wanted to fix it correctly by replacing the motor. After talking with the mechanic this afternoon, he was of the opinion that the "new" motor was defective (it supposedly worked after initial replacement) and has ordered a new one to be installed Monday (4/17). I let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Jeff
jfoote is offline   Reply With Quote