Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2006, 03:16 AM   #1
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

1988 Honda Prelude

So I have a new "project." 1988 Honda Prelude SI Fuel Injected 2.0L with 4 wheel steering and a 5 speed manual transaxle. 4 wheel disc brakes. The interior is no different than from new, has a new clutch, all new brake pads, new tires. Body in great shape just needs a little work and can use paint only because of repairs from minor dents and dings. Everything works fine, power sunroof, power windows, hide-away lights, power locks, A/C, ect, all of those things work fine. It's in great shape. I pulled the motor because of a knock. Someone used the wrong oil (most likely, I know 50 weight was being used) and the bearings got wiped. One completely, and ruined crankshaft and rod. So I'm rebuilding the motor. Cylinders has virtually no wear on them...as does the rest of the motor. Sad. Anyway I'm just going to rebuild the motor, throw everything back in (clean as a whistle and painted of course all in great shape) and have it as a daily driver as my crown vic has seen better days and my...Coronet..er..hasn't seen days yet.

Anyway, don't know much about Honda, just wanted to get some help, pointers, and directions to get into the grove.

Websites and such is what I'm looking for. Things I should upgrade while I got it down, and mainly, where the heck do I look for good con rods and other parts of the like.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:19 AM   #2
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Good luck DR. I dont know much about Hondas, but wish you good luck on your project!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
So I have a new "project." 1988 Honda Prelude SI Fuel Injected 2.0L with 4 wheel steering and a 5 speed manual transaxle. 4 wheel disc brakes. The interior is no different than from new, has a new clutch, all new brake pads, new tires. Body in great shape just needs a little work and can use paint only because of repairs from minor dents and dings. Everything works fine, power sunroof, power windows, hide-away lights, power locks, A/C, ect, all of those things work fine. It's in great shape. I pulled the motor because of a knock. Someone used the wrong oil (most likely, I know 50 weight was being used) and the bearings got wiped. One completely, and ruined crankshaft and rod. So I'm rebuilding the motor. Cylinders has virtually no wear on them...as does the rest of the motor. Sad. Anyway I'm just going to rebuild the motor, throw everything back in (clean as a whistle and painted of course all in great shape) and have it as a daily driver as my crown vic has seen better days and my...Coronet..er..hasn't seen days yet.

Anyway, don't know much about Honda, just wanted to get some help, pointers, and directions to get into the grove.

Websites and such is what I'm looking for. Things I should upgrade while I got it down, and mainly, where the heck do I look for good con rods and other parts of the like.

Thats funny, if all goes well I'll be getting the exact same car, except not 4WS.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
OombaIsBack
Banned

As long as you have everything out, swap to forged internals and stiffer valve springs. Then boost!!!
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #5
elchango36
WWJCD

ENGINE SWAP

As far as websites, um, honda-tech is a great place to search for anything related to your car. Man I wish I could help you more but all the websites I have are for 5th gen Civics. I did a quick search on some and all of them have stuff for BB4 and BB6 (92-96, 97+) Preludes. Good luck though and enjoy your Honda.

Oh, almost forgot...http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
Great place for OEM parts and/or part numbers.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
ENGINE SWAP

As far as websites, um, honda-tech is a great place to search for anything related to your car. Man I wish I could help you more but all the websites I have are for 5th gen Civics. I did a quick search on some and all of them have stuff for BB4 and BB6 (92-96, 97+) Preludes. Good luck though and enjoy your Honda.

You know I have a belly full of engine swaps.

Thanks for the website.

So I put in a CD player. I'm going to throw in 4 new speakers while I'm at it and I'm going to throw on a new shift knob. That'll do for the interior.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:43 AM   #7
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
You know I have a belly full of engine swaps.

Thanks for the website.

So I put in a CD player. I'm going to throw in 4 new speakers while I'm at it and I'm going to throw on a new shift knob. That'll do for the interior.

No Problem..!
Old 04-17-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
fudge
let's fighting love

For an everyday car why not try swapping in a VTEC motor from a later Prelude or a Civic. As for painting the car you could try the roller method which if given enough practise and patience can give good results.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...2b6d5fe 08df8
Old 04-18-2006, 02:19 AM   #9
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge
For an everyday car why not try swapping in a VTEC motor from a later Prelude or a Civic. As for painting the car you could try the roller method which if given enough practise and patience can give good results.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...2b6d5fe 08df8
I wonder what ChrisV has to say about this method???
Old 04-18-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
I wonder what ChrisV has to say about this method???

Who cares what he thinks? You can see pictures of the car in that thread and they look really good. Not the route I'd go, but it did turn out really good.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:59 AM   #11
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by OombaIsBack
Who cares what he thinks? You can see pictures of the car in that thread and they look really good. Not the route I'd go, but it did turn out really good.
Um, i care seeing as how he has REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:17 PM   #12
fudge
let's fighting love

For show car quality you're better off going for the spray, but this method is great for getting a decent paint job without having to spend thousands. Also you won't have to worry about chips and scratches as you can repaint it later and know you won't have to spend so much. For a project like this I think it's worth while as its an everyday car.

Maybe this summer I might give it a try on some old panels to see for myself how good this method is, thing is I don't know what the british equivalent of Tremclad or Rustoleum
Old 04-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
ENGINE SWAP

what is your name on honda-tech? i have to start over on there. i forgot my password.
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 06:23 PM   #14
elchango36
WWJCD

I'm not a member of Honda-tech, all the time I spend on there Im searching through the archives for info (great info at that).
Old 04-19-2006, 08:20 PM   #15
OombaIsBack
Banned

Quote:
Um, i care seeing as how he has REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE.

So he says.

But again, who cares what he thinks? I don't care if he's a 6 year old from Ethiopia or Micheal Schumacher, the pictures tell the same story. It turned out good, but its not as good as a quality paintjob.

The most important thing in paint is the prep work..