Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2006, 01:40 PM   #1
hornman
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
1987 Caprice overheating problems

First let me go through all of the things that have been done to this thing since returning home. I have taken the thermostat out, replaced the water pump, drained the radiator and then flushed it out. All of the cooling fins inside the radiator are flowing good. There is good water movement inside the radiator when the cap is off of the radiator. I have put a solid direct drive high CFM cooling fan on it with the correct spacer to get it well inside the fan shroud. I washed out the outside fins of the radiator,and they are free of debris. I have set base idle on the carb. I have adjusted the timing several times,(to make sure it was correct). I have set the timing with a timing gun and also "by ear" with no difference in the outcome.I have changed the spark plugs and ignition wires also. I have adjusted the valvetrain also.
This car is still getting hot after I give it back to my son. This thing does not get hot while sitting at idle in the yard, but when he drives it for a few miles, it gets hot on him to the point where the lifters start tapping., I am running out of ideas, someone please help.
The only thing I can figure is the computer may be acting up and at highway speeds driving the timing up to the point that it gets hot. I am unsure if this is possible or likley. I hate to replace things without knowing that they are bad.
hornman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:49 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornman
First let me go through all of the things that have been done to this thing since returning home. I have taken the thermostat out, replaced the water pump, drained the radiator and then flushed it out. All of the cooling fins inside the radiator are flowing good. There is good water movement inside the radiator when the cap is off of the radiator. I have put a solid direct drive high CFM cooling fan on it with the correct spacer to get it well inside the fan shroud. I washed out the outside fins of the radiator,and they are free of debris. I have set base idle on the carb. I have adjusted the timing several times,(to make sure it was correct). I have set the timing with a timing gun and also "by ear" with no difference in the outcome.I have changed the spark plugs and ignition wires also. I have adjusted the valvetrain also.
This car is still getting hot after I give it back to my son. This thing does not get hot while sitting at idle in the yard, but when he drives it for a few miles, it gets hot on him to the point where the lifters start tapping., I am running out of ideas, someone please help.
The only thing I can figure is the computer may be acting up and at highway speeds driving the timing up to the point that it gets hot. I am unsure if this is possible or likley. I hate to replace things without knowing that they are bad.
But you sure like to do a lot of uneccesary work. From your description you have a moderately restricted radiator. Rod it out or replace it and your problem should go away and put the t-stat back in while you're at it.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
hornman
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
87 overheating

The radiator is circulating through the cooling fins. I partially drained the radiator and the cooling system seems to be flowing good.
thanks for your help
hornman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornman
The radiator is circulating through the cooling fins. I partially drained the radiator and the cooling system seems to be flowing good.
thanks for your help
Really? Are you sure? What is the temperature reading at the center of the radiator core while idling after a full warm up cycle?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #5
hornman
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Really? Are you sure? What is the temperature reading at the center of the radiator core while idling after a full warm up cycle?

I am going to go get the radiator rodded out at the radiator shop in the morning to be sure. Also I have another question. it seems like whe I time it here in the yard, it is fine. This thing has a ECM, do you have any idea which wire to disconnect to bypass the computer long enough to time this thing without the computer trying to correct it? When I give it to my son, the timing goes to pinging and the car goes to acting up. I know that overheating will cause the ping and some of the other problems that are going on.
If the radiator doesn't fix the problem, should I look at the Cat? If that thing is stopped up, the exaust would back up and cause some of these symptoms.
I have just returned from Africa and he has been having problems with this thing since he bought it.
hornman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornman
I am going to go get the radiator rodded out at the radiator shop in the morning to be sure. Also I have another question. it seems like whe I time it here in the yard, it is fine. This thing has a ECM, do you have any idea which wire to disconnect to bypass the computer long enough to time this thing without the computer trying to correct it? When I give it to my son, the timing goes to pinging and the car goes to acting up. I know that overheating will cause the ping and some of the other problems that are going on.
If the radiator doesn't fix the problem, should I look at the Cat? If that thing is stopped up, the exaust would back up and cause some of these symptoms.
I have just returned from Africa and he has been having problems with this thing since he bought it.
Hmmmmm. It seems to me that we're going backwards here. You've done all this work, but apparently don't have or aren't using a manual which of course would describe exactly how and where to disconnect the EST connector prior to timing it. How were you timing it correctly to begin with? From your own statements it seems as though you might be your own worst enemy in this situation.

Furthermore, stop jumping to conclusions. ECM's very seldom cause this sort of driveability issue and a clogged cat, while it may cause overheating, will always cause a power loss above idle. if you're truly interested in doing this the proper way, first you'll get a book. Then you'll read it. Then you'll take the take the time honoured route of diagnose, isolate and repair. That is if you want to do it right. Close enough for government work doesn't cut it here no matter what you may have learned in the military.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
hornman
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Hmmmmm. It seems to me that we're going backwards here. You've done all this work, but apparently don't have or aren't using a manual which of course would describe exactly how and where to disconnect the EST connector prior to timing it. How were you timing it correctly to begin with? From your own statements it seems as though you might be your own worst enemy in this situation.

Furthermore, stop jumping to conclusions. ECM's very seldom cause this sort of driveability issue and a clogged cat, while it may cause overheating, will always cause a power loss above idle. if you're truly interested in doing this the proper way, first you'll get a book. Then you'll read it. Then you'll take the take the time honoured route of diagnose, isolate and repair. That is if you want to do it right. Close enough for government work doesn't cut it here no matter what you may have learned in the military.

Actually, he's not going backwards. Most of the work was done while he was in Africa and my son and I tried to take care of it the best way that we could. He's only been home for a couple of weeks and has tried to go from where WE left off.
No, there's no manual. The car was bought used. We went to buy a Haynes manual and they were out of stock. Had to order one...hasn't come in yet. Thought maybe we could get some info from someone on here while waiting for the manual to come in.
Just wanted you to know the screw ups (unnecessary work) were on the part of myself and my son.....
Thanks for your help....
Hornman's wife.....
hornman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:09 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornman
Actually, he's not going backwards. Most of the work was done while he was in Africa and my son and I tried to take care of it the best way that we could. He's only been home for a couple of weeks and has tried to go from where WE left off.
No, there's no manual. The car was bought used. We went to buy a Haynes manual and they were out of stock. Had to order one...hasn't come in yet. Thought maybe we could get some info from someone on here while waiting for the manual to come in.
Just wanted you to know the screw ups (unnecessary work) were on the part of myself and my son.....
Thanks for your help....
Hornman's wife.....
Okay. I'd have my wife post for me, but... Well, I don't need the little woman to do my talking for me.

General question for long time members. The last time this happened, wasn't the guy also a Marine?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:04 AM   #9
hornman
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Okay. I'd have my wife post for me, but... Well, I don't need the little woman to do my talking for me.

General question for long time members. The last time this happened, wasn't the guy also a Marine?

First, As A Marine, My brothers and I bleed and die to defend your right to be the very little man that you are acting like by attacking me over the net. Any time you would like to do it in person, just let me know.
I came to this site and two others, All I asked was a simple question and apparently YOU ,the guy that fights ignorance , who knows everything,(EXCEPT) what I was asking for help on. made sure to put your insecure two cents in. If you had no help to send out it would have been very nice if you would have kept your oppinion to yourself.
I didn't need a bunch of heckling from the peanut gallery; from a man who sits on the sidelines. I guess the most courage you could muster would be to attack someone you know you would never have to look in the eye. It takes a BIG man to do that sort of thing.
Thankfully there was a man on another website that DID know some answers to my questions. The problem was fixed in about 30 minutes.
It probably would help if you would get some more info on ECM's and EST's. Saves getting a radiator rodded out. AND a lot of labor. BTW, (in case you don't know what that stands for it's BY THE WAY) all the other work that was done to the car WAS needed. It wasn't unnecessary - but we wouldn't want to accuse you of "jumping to conclusions" now would we.
And I don't need "the little woman" to speak for me - she was speaking for herself.
hornman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:22 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornman
First, As A Marine, My brothers and I bleed and die to defend your right to be the very little man that you are acting like by attacking me over the net. Any time you would like to do it in person, just let me know.
I came to this site and two others, All I asked was a simple question and apparently YOU ,the guy that fights ignorance , who knows everything,(EXCEPT) what I was asking for help on. made sure to put your insecure two cents in. If you had no help to send out it would have been very nice if you would have kept your oppinion to yourself.
I didn't need a bunch of heckling from the peanut gallery; from a man who sits on the sidelines. I guess the most courage you could muster would be to attack someone you know you would never have to look in the eye. It takes a BIG man to do that sort of thing.
Thankfully there was a man on another website that DID know some answers to my questions. The problem was fixed in about 30 minutes.
It probably would help if you would get some more info on ECM's and EST's. Saves getting a radiator rodded out. AND a lot of labor. BTW, (in case you don't know what that stands for it's BY THE WAY) all the other work that was done to the car WAS needed. It wasn't unnecessary - but we wouldn't want to accuse you of "jumping to conclusions" now would we.
And I don't need "the little woman" to speak for me - she was speaking for herself.
Remember what I said about jumping to conclusions little man? I respect your service in the Marine Corps, and never said that I didn't. But while you're preaching to me about how great you are in your own mind, you once again went off half cocked.

Ya see Twinkie, I'm proud to say that I am a retired E8 with 23 years of active duty in service to this great country of ours. Not only that but my wife is still currently serving and is an E7. Between to two of us we have almost 40 years of service, three Purple Hearts, a pile of MSM's and the list goes on. So save your indignant little diatribe about how superior you are because you're a Marine. I can respect the uniform, but in your case I can not respect the man.

So Twinkie, why don't you tell us exactly and in great detail what it took to fix your problem... Or would you rather have your wife explain it for you?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:42 AM   #11
hornman
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Remember what I said about jumping to conclusions little man? I respect your service in the Marine Corps, and never said that I didn't. But while you're preaching to me about how great you are in your own mind, you once again went off half cocked.

Ya see Twinkie, I'm proud to say that I am a retired E8 with 23 years of active duty in service to this great country of ours. Not only that but my wife is still currently serving and is an E7. Between to two of us we have almost 40 years of service, three Purple Hearts, a pile of MSM's and the list goes on. So save your indignant little diatribe about how superior you are because you're a Marine. I can respect the uniform, but in your case I can not respect the man.

So Twinkie, why don't you tell us exactly and in great detail what it took to fix your problem... Or would you rather have your wife explain it for you?

I've been called worse by better people - and definitely by better Marines.
Still no answers on your half cocked ideas though

Oh yes before I forget. You must be my hero.... You must have been in the 10 percent that fell through the cracks.
I won't be wasting my time answering this kind of banter with you.
hornman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:45 AM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornman
I've been called worse by better people - and definitely by better Marines.
Still no answers on your half cocked ideas though

Oh yes before I forget. You must be my hero.... You must have been in the 10 percent that fell through the cracks.
I won't be wasting my time answering this kind of banter with you.
Read what you just typed. Are you stoned or stupid? It makes no sense.

So are you going to tell us what "fixed" the car or let Momma do it for you?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:48 AM   #13
startruck
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1
Interested

Listen, Marine, can you direct me to the information you found for resolving your overheating problem in the 87 caprice. I am very interested in how you fixed it. THANK YOU!
startruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.