Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
shaka zulu
CF Newbie

tire questions

so i was just wondering about tires, in general. Like i kinda know what all the numbers mean, like 235/40r/17 or whatever, but i was wondering if the wider the tires, the better? or whatever, and if cars can actually take tires wider than stock ones? And if its better to have wider read tires, and also what the numbers mean
Old 04-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaka zulu
so i was just wondering about tires, in general. Like i kinda know what all the numbers mean, like 235/40r/17 or whatever, but i was wondering if the wider the tires, the better? or whatever, and if cars can actually take tires wider than stock ones? And if its better to have wider read tires, and also what the numbers mean
You kinda know what the numbers mean, but you want us to tell you what the numbers mean. Well, which is it?

1. Wider tires are better on some cars for some purposes and narrow tires are better on some cars for some purposes. It all depends on the application, the way the tire will be used and what the car is designed for.

2. Yes, cars can take wider tires than stock. They can also take narrower tires than stock.

3. Isn't that the same question you just asked?

4. 235/40-17

- 235 is the cross section width in millimeters
-- 40 is the aspect ratio, in other words the sidewall height is 40% of the cross section
--- 17 is the wheel diameter in inches

If you have a question to ask, and apparently you do, decide what it is and then ask it in a way that is understandable.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
shaka zulu
CF Newbie

lol thanks, like i kinda knew what they meant, but wasnt completly sure. So whats the purpose of thicker tires, and what are some advantages of thinner tires. (as in the cross section)
Old 04-18-2006, 11:23 PM   #4
mirot
CF Enthusiast

im bored.. so im just gonna guess:

wider tires offer more surface areas and thus more grip.. this can be applyed to both street performance and offroad performance..
the downside of wide tires would be that i believe they wear out quicker, they are heavier, and waste more gas.
am i close?

p.s
in addition to those three numbers, tires also label their speed rating
every letter symbolizes a different top speed, where usually the higher the top speed, the less the overall comfort because a tire that can go at high speeds requires that it have stiffer sidewalls

here are the different ratings:
S 180km/h or 112mph
T 190km/h or 118mph
U 200km/h or 125mph
H 210km/h or 130mph
V 240km/h or 149mph
W(ZR) 270km/h or 168mph
Y(ZR) 300km/h or 186mph
ZR Above 300km/h or 186mph

Last edited by mirot : 04-18-2006 at 11:28 PM.
mirot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:07 AM   #5
davsmitty
CF Addict

a downside ive noticed of wide tires is in rain/snow/ice conditions.
Ive P255/75/r15 on all four vs. Stock P235/70/r15 and have a slightly more difficult time controlling my turns and stopping on fresh rained roads and ice. In answer to "can a car take bigger tires"--yes, but any given wheel will only fit tires (width & diameter) in a certain range (eg. my wheels will take 235-255width and 15" diameter)
A downside of narrower tires is that they too can wear faster because it takes less torque to break the bond with the surface (spinning). Im sure this isnt all thou.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote