Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
davsmitty
CF Addict

Hybriding Subwoofers?

Hey T-Bird, is there a site that can give me some general ideas on how to hybrid a sub without tearing it up? Im wanting to build a new enclosure and am leaning towards a passive radiator design. Is it likely that I will notice any improvement in sound quality and or spl? Again, I have 2CVR-10" on a KX-600.1amp. Im soon going to upgrade the "big three" and my batt-amp wire to 1/0awg and get a line driver. I already have some old woofers that I wont be powering ever again and was thinking of removing the magnet to maybe make it a passive. Id much rather use what Ive got than buy another woofer (the only passive sub ive seen is the Boston Acoustics GTX and i dont feel like spending $100+ for a basket & cone).
Also, ive got some R-F 200hz bassblockers on my 6.5's. Im wondering if I can make some midbass speakers using some different blockers (150-300hz range) if it works that way, can you give me a link to a shop that sells these?
Thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
Hey T-Bird, is there a site that can give me some general ideas on how to hybrid a sub without tearing it up? Im wanting to build a new enclosure and am leaning towards a passive radiator design. Is it likely that I will notice any improvement in sound quality and or spl? Again, I have 2CVR-10" on a KX-600.1amp. Im soon going to upgrade the "big three" and my batt-amp wire to 1/0awg and get a line driver. I already have some old woofers that I wont be powering ever again and was thinking of removing the magnet to maybe make it a passive. Id much rather use what Ive got than buy another woofer (the only passive sub ive seen is the Boston Acoustics GTX and i dont feel like spending $100+ for a basket & cone).
Also, ive got some R-F 200hz bassblockers on my 6.5's. Im wondering if I can make some midbass speakers using some different blockers (150-300hz range) if it works that way, can you give me a link to a shop that sells these?
Thanks

Doing sub hybrids requires a lot of mathematics and years of experience building subs. I do not recommend trying to build your own hybrid.

Also, some subs CAN be passive radiators and some CANT. There are more passive radiator subs out there than the BA. Just search.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
davsmitty
CF Addict

ive googled it a few times and only found a few examples. all of these were over $100. anyway i didnt know that some can and some cant so ill toss that out the window. what about the midbass stuff?
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
ive googled it a few times and only found a few examples. all of these were over $100. anyway i didnt know that some can and some cant so ill toss that out the window. what about the midbass stuff?

I didnt understand what exactly you were asking about the midbass. Did you mean what should you have them crossed at if you got new ones or what?

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote