Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2006, 01:44 AM   #1
badamodder
CF Newbie

help please

hey i need a little help with my new car it is a 92 cavalier 2.2 leater and it aint been run in a while and i tryed hot wiren it cause it aint got no ingtion switch and it wont start and i just put a new battery on it but when i bougt it they said it smoked and needed a intake gasket , i aint put it on yet

it will turn over but wont start

whats wrong guys
badamodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:50 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by badamodder
hey i need a little help with my new car it is a 92 cavalier 2.2 leater and it aint been run in a while and i tryed hot wiren it cause it aint got no ingtion switch and it wont start and i just put a new battery on it but when i bougt it they said it smoked and needed a intake gasket , i aint put it on yet

it will turn over but wont start

whats wrong guys
I'll take you're an idiot for $100, Marge.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 04:11 AM   #3
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I'll take you're an idiot for $100, Marge.

LMAO! Thats got to qualify for best wise ass response ever!

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 10:05 PM   #4
badamodder
CF Newbie

let me refrase that

i hot wired it and all it did was turn over
Old 04-21-2006, 10:04 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by badamodder
let me refrase that

i hot wired it and all it did was turn over
Good for you. Okay, I'll make this as simple as possible for you. What is the point of this thread and what do you want from us?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
badamodder
CF Newbie

i got it cranked boys i didnt have one of the wires wired together
Old 04-22-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
lubinmd
CF Newbie

there's already too much ill will in the world, why insult someone

I read the post by the fellow who couldn't get a car to start, and the gratuitous insults that were posted. We all start off knowing nothing. The only people I consider to be ignorant are the ones who repeat the same mistakes. My advice is to start with the basics, and a good start is to go to the internet site, <howstuffworks.com> . It sounds like you've a way to go, and I wish you well, and I hope you don't make as many mistakes as I've made over the years. I consider myself a decent amteur mechanic, but I got there by paying a very high tuition to Oak Tree Technical School.

I have general mechanical question for anyone who might read this. I have a Jeep Grand Wagoneer. I live on an island, in fact on a part of the island where, to get to the main Island I either ride a little car ferry a 1,000 feet, or I can drive about 5 miles on a beach. Because I might burn nearly a gallon just warming up, in the winter, to get my daughter from my house the four miles to the car ferry, where she goes across to get the school bus, I disabled my choke and keep it wide open, which means flooding the engine a bit with the acclerator pump to start, and I keep the ingition advanced to just before detonation. But if I have to drive the beach, I drop the tire pressures from 34 to 20, and retard the timing or I'll predetonate and overheat. I have both positions marked so the timing change is easy (I have a third mark, even more advanced, when I go off Island and drive on real highways.) I'm thinking a good way to make this easier is to jury rig a cable control and adjust the timing with it -- advance until I ping, then back off a hair. The engine's a Chrysler 360. Before I make trouble for myself, is there already something of the sort on the market? The price of gas, and that hog engine, makes it all worthwhile to go through the troubles (as it is, I'm lucky if I get 10 mpg -- on the highway, with the tires to 34 and ignition at about 14 BTC, I can squeak out, maybe, 16 or 17.)
Any advise is welcome.
lubinmd
lubinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
Wally
I Know More Than You

predetonate?

yes there are products that allow remote control of the timing, but you may need an appropriate amplifier/ignitor fitted too.