Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006, 04:05 AM   #1
aerith
@#$%ing bored out of mind

Death to the Honda S2000. Welcome class dominator.

Well, Honda officially announced that the current gen S2000 will be retiring at the end of this year. But they did comment what the replacement would be like. The Honda XGA is the replacement. We are looking at a 2 + 2 hardtop based on the S2000 platform. With a 3.0 L V6 putting out 320hp, also equipped with SH-AWD all connected with Honda's class leading 6 speed transmission or a clutchless 5 speed. All of this comes at a tidy price of 43,000 dollars. No doubt this is aimed squarely at the 350z, and i have confidence that it's going to completely dominate it. The S2000 is a better platform, but always lagged in power, this V6 should remedy it. But this addition in equipment may mess with the S2000 platform's handling abilities. I guess we'll have to see, when it comes out.

--2004 Acura TL Dynamic--
aerith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:24 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

It sucks that they're taking out the S2000 ...But at least they're bringing in another sports car...It just won't be the same though.

Can't wait to see pics of the XGA though
Old 04-05-2006, 04:27 AM   #3
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Kind of sad, but at least there will be fewer "torqueless wonder" remarks.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:38 AM   #4
aerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Kind of sad, but at least there will be fewer "torqueless wonder" remarks.

I doubt the XGA will have great torque either. It is a 3.0L after all, they're probaly just going to do the same thing they did with the S2000, tune it to rev sky high for power. I have no clue how they are going to get 320hp from a 3.0L and still manage to price it at 43k along with all the other goodies. But its probaly going to be a great motor either way.

Old 04-05-2006, 04:39 AM   #5
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith
I doubt the XGA will have great torque either. It is a 3.0L after all, they're probaly just going to do the same thing they did with the S2000, tune it to rev sky high for power. I have no clue how they are going to get 320hp from a 3.0L and still manage to price it at 43k along with all the other goodies. But its probaly going to be a great motor either way.
The S2000 is a sexy screamer. I can only imagine what a 3.0 would sound like at about 8000 rpms.
Old 04-05-2006, 04:48 AM   #6
aerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
The S2000 is a sexy screamer. I can only imagine what a 3.0 would sound like at about 8000 rpms.
They are building the XGA at the same Suzuka plant, so we will see similiar technologies being used on the XGA's powerplant. But i will miss the handling ability of the original S2000.

I'm scared that Honda will walk the road of Nissan and abandon their pursuit for handling, for cheap power. Everyday there are rumors going around that the next NSX will be aimed at the Aston Martins instead of the the Ferrari's, and Porsches. I much rather have a great handling NSX then a power whore. This new XGA is evidence that Honda is rearranging their priorities, and putting power first.

Old 04-05-2006, 05:38 AM   #7
mx3_monster
im completely sane

found a pic of it it kind of reminds me of an rx-8

"I wish my lawn was EMO so it would cut itself!"
mx3_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 07:49 AM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Oh dear.....If Honda is planning on replacing the S2000 with that, they might have a few sales problems lol. Just my opinion, but why discontinue a winning formular? A bigger, heavier replacement will just not be the same.....Sounds to me like this car's more of an NSX replacement. If so, there's actually gonna be a hole in the line-up for an S2000!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #9
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerith

Are we talking US dollars? Because if you are amazed that they can sell a 320HP V6 coupe for under $43,000 then you may have not heard of something called the baseline 2006 Chevy Corvette. Roughly priced at about $44,000, comes with 400HP, big 6.0L V8 Engine, bowties? Ring a bell?

If honda thinks they can get away with that monsterous price of nearly $45,000 for an AWD coupe with a V6 engine, then someone at their engineering facility needs a serious dose of reality. Competition to the 350Z? I think not. I'd rather keep my extra $15,000 and be satisfied with a lightly packaged Z. Either someone has their facts wrong or the people at honda have lost their minds.

IF $43,000 is the fully loaded price, then we might have something to work with. However I find it incredibly hard to beleive that Honda expects their consumers to pay $10,000 more for a slightly more powerful car thats "supposed" to be replacing the S2000. I find it even more rediculous that Honda expects anyone to pay more than $35,000 for any fully loaded honda for that matter.

$43,000, yeah right. Since when did Honda become BMW and get the respect to charge over $40,000 for a 300+ HP coupe?

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:30 PM   #10
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Oh dear.....If Honda is planning on replacing the S2000 with that, they might have a few sales problems lol. Just my opinion, but why discontinue a winning formular? A bigger, heavier replacement will just not be the same.....Sounds to me like this car's more of an NSX replacement. If so, there's actually gonna be a hole in the line-up for an S2000!
Not sure if it's an NSX replacement, I remember reading somewhere (Road & Track?) that they were bringing back the NSX
Old 04-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #11
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

It's too bad they're killing the S2000 and replacing it with that...thing...

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Not sure if it's an NSX replacement, I remember reading somewhere (Road & Track?) that they were bringing back the NSX
I thought the NSX was gonna be axed. I heard that the current model is the last one to be made. It's a shame really, because in my opinion, the NSX is what ya always think of a supercar looking like (that kinda shape.....as a kid you might have viewed all supercars as 'that' shape).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Are we talking US dollars? Because if you are amazed that they can sell a 320HP V6 coupe for under $43,000 then you may have not heard of something called the baseline 2006 Chevy Corvette. Roughly priced at about $44,000, comes with 400HP, big 6.0L V8 Engine, bowties? Ring a bell?

If honda thinks they can get away with that monsterous price of nearly $45,000 for an AWD coupe with a V6 engine, then someone at their engineering facility needs a serious dose of reality. Competition to the 350Z? I think not. I'd rather keep my extra $15,000 and be satisfied with a lightly packaged Z. Either someone has their facts wrong or the people at honda have lost their minds.

IF $43,000 is the fully loaded price, then we might have something to work with. However I find it incredibly hard to beleive that Honda expects their consumers to pay $10,000 more for a slightly more powerful car thats "supposed" to be replacing the S2000. I find it even more rediculous that Honda expects anyone to pay more than $35,000 for any fully loaded honda for that matter.

$43,000, yeah right. Since when did Honda become BMW and get the respect to charge over $40,000 for a 300+ HP coupe?
While I agree that $40,000 is alot of money, converting that into GBP would be around £35,000 unless I'm mistaken? which is about what you'd expect to pay for an equivelent BMW or Merc. Maybe Honda's going up in the world? However, they'd need to do something with that design in order to maybe, just, warrent that price!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:08 PM   #13
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx3_monster

Remember, this is all just concept stuff. While I haven't heard a thing on a S2000 replacement, I do know it's getting axed.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #14
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy

The S2000 hasn't been selling very well the past couple years. People would rather buy more "boring" convertibles in comparison to the S2000 than get a really engaging driving experience. The 04-06 S2000 is really actually a fairly quaint vehicle compared to the 9000rpm 00-03 screamer, but I believe the mantra stuck to the S2000 that it is a "weekend car" and not fun to drive around town often.

They will eventually probably come out with a slightly worse handling, much more powerful (probably HO V6) and heavier convertible later on to increase sales because it would increase appeal. Sad, but true.

Who knows though, maybe they will come out with a SH-AWD convertible weighing 3000-3100lbs and power it with the new 2.3 Turbo. I cant wait to drive the RDX when it comes out with SH-AWD and the 240hp/260tq 2.3T motor. It will be the first factory turbo Honda I have ever driven.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #15
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx3_monster

Not bad really. Kind of big though.