Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2006, 09:29 AM   #1
Mathew
-BMW 3rd Year Apprentice-

Woohoo, this made my day!

So last night my friend and I were driving home in his '92 Mazda Protege, and about 30 seconds away from home, we hear this snap and a "fluttering" sound from the engine bay. We pull over and one of the drive belts has split, and lost a bunch of teeth.

Today we get car the parked in his driveway and get to work. Pull the two drive belts off, and drive off to the parts store. About 30 minutes later, no more, we're coming back to his house and find a fire engine, 2 police cars and an ambulance, plus a crowd of about 20 people scattered around near his house.

So we're wondering what the hell happened, pull into his driveway, get out, and my reaction is just "Holy SHIT!".

Across the street and about two houses down, theres an Acura Integra Type R (or imitation) on its side on someone's lawn. This is not a busy street, but a tiny residential area. The road is a bit of an incline with a bend, and apperently the guy was going about 80km/h and lost control of the car. Drove right into someone's driveway sideways, hit the wall, and ended up on the driver's side, resting against some large bushes. We missed it, but I was told the kid who was driving climbed out of the car and sat down on the lawn till the cops came.

Here's the moment you've been waiting for:

Last edited by Mathew : 04-23-2006 at 06:41 PM.
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:31 AM   #2
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Nooooooooo.

poor type r.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
So last night my friend and I were driving home in his '92 Mazda Protege, and about 30 seconds away from home, we hear this snap and a "fluttering" sound from the engine bay. We pull over and one of the drive belts has split, and lost a bunch of teeth.

Today we get the parked in his driveway and get to work. Pull the two drive belts off, and drive off to the parts store. About 30 minutes later, no more, we're coming back to his house and find a fire engine, 2 police cars and an ambulance, plus a crowd of about 20 people scattered around near his house.

So we're wondering what the hell happened, pull into his driveway, get out, and my reaction is just "Holy SHIT!".

Across the street and about two houses down, theres an Acura Integra Type R (or imitation) on its side on someone's lawn. This is not a busy street, but a tiny residential area. The road is a bit of an incline with a bend, and apperently the guy was going about 80km/h and lost control of the car. Drove right into someone's driveway sideways, hit the wall, and ended up on the driver's side, resting against some large bushes. We missed it, but I was told the kid who was driving climbed out of the car and sat down on the lawn till the cops came.

Here's the moment you've been waiting for:
It looks like another one who "knows how to handle his car". I hope he loses his license for a few years so he has plenty of time to ride a moped and think about how driving is a privilege and not a right. I'm also damn happy there were no kids around.

BTW, good pics. You should try to get them printed in your local paper.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Oh dear, as hobo said, it's a good job there were no kids around. He has to be pretty stupid driving like that in a built up area!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Awww that just sucks about the Integra, but I'm with vwhobo, I also hope he gets his license suspended for a while...
Old 04-23-2006, 06:24 PM   #6
97Talonchik
discombobulated

The best part isthere is a no parking sign right there.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #7
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
It looks like another one who "knows how to handle his car". I hope he loses his license for a few years so he has plenty of time to ride a moped and think about how driving is a privilege and not a right. I'm also damn happy there were no kids around.

BTW, good pics. You should try to get them printed in your local paper.

The way things go around here, I imagine his parents will have him in an S2000 by next week. Its actually really lucky there were no kids around because there are tons in the neighborhood. About half the people gathered around watching were kids.

My friend was the one taking the pics. We were watching the scene, and I just remembered he got a new digital cam like 3 days ago, so I reminded him and he grabbed it. I told him he should send the pics today, thing is I don't know if the local newspaper office opens on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
The best part isthere is a no parking sign right there.

Haha yeah, my friend took a couple of pics specifically focused on the sign and the car, so he can send it to Ebaum'sworld or something like that.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:10 AM   #8
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

I'm not seein how this makes your day, seems like somethin that could've ended up not so good, and Type R's aren't exactly everywhere.

But good pics and all anyway

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 AM   #9
elchango36
WWJCD

I'm with Greek on this one, poor type R.

I call dibs on the motor, suspension, and brake system.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:10 AM   #10
Benson
seeking snappy title.

Owned.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 AM   #11
Mathew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
I'm not seein how this makes your day, seems like somethin that could've ended up not so good, and Type R's aren't exactly everywhere.

But good pics and all anyway

This made my day because it was exciting, funny, and will make for some good conversation down the line. Its not every day you see a car on its side, let alone on someone's lawn, and it just feels very surreal looking at it in person. It made my day because it was interesting. Obviously it would have been different if someone got hurt or killed.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:58 AM   #12
stevenbob0
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr

Unfortunately, some parents try to be a teenager's "best friend" and give them money all of the time. Unfortunately, being a parent means holding their teen accountable for their actions, providing consequences when the kid screws up , and teach their young person to be responsible for themselves and their actions.

In my mind, if the driver was a teen, the parent can refuse to replace/repair the car or keep the teen's car-keys for a few weeks/months - walking, riding the bus, or riding to school with mom or dad having to get out with the freshmen/sophomores in the car riders line @ a high school for a while usually reforms a lot of teens.

That's what happened to me when i crashed my car.
stevenbob0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 07:59 AM   #13
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
I'm with Greek on this one, poor type R.

I call dibs on the motor, suspension, and brake system.

You can have that stuff all I want is the type R badge.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Sounds like some of the stupid drivers we have around Chattanooga.

I don't know much about the laws in Canada. Unfortunately, in most of the U.S., if the cops did not see the driver actually driving 50mph in a 30 mph area and no one files a complaint, there are hardly any real consequences this person will face from the authorities.
Over here if that sort of an accident occurs the Police wont quit untill they find out what went wrong. They'll measure skid marks on the road surface to establish the speed the vehicle was travelling at when the crash happened, aswell as gathering statements from local residents etc.....Our Traffic Cops are rather thorough though lol!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 06:00 PM   #15
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew
This made my day because it was exciting, funny, and will make for some good conversation down the line. Its not every day you see a car on its side, let alone on someone's lawn, and it just feels very surreal looking at it in person. It made my day because it was interesting. Obviously it would have been different if someone got hurt or killed.
I can see how it'd be exciting and interesting, but funny? Except for the no parking sign thing, that's not remotely funny to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekWarrior
You can have that stuff all I want is the type R badge.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote