Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #1
Shmit_88
CF Newbie

Corsa Wiring

Hi, i've been looking around these forums for a while, and only now decided to post, and i wondered if anyone could help me out.

I am 17, only recently bought a car, a P reg, Vauxhall Corsa 1.4. However it did not come with a cd player/head unit, and I have noticed alot of wires have been cut, maybe ripped out, Which has also meant a wire has been ripped out which turns on a little screen on the dash which tells me the time and date, they may also connect to a cd player which I will be buying soon.

I have had a look at the wires and the colours are; green, green and black, grey, grey and black, purple, yellow, brown and black, red and grey, blue and red, black and grey, and a red wire. I don't know if that's any help to anyone but I wondered if it is, could you possibly tell me which wires connect to which, or where I could find out?

Thanks
Smithy
Shmit_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:20 PM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shmit_88
Hi, i've been looking around these forums for a while, and only now decided to post, and i wondered if anyone could help me out.

I am 17, only recently bought a car, a P reg, Vauxhall Corsa 1.4. However it did not come with a cd player/head unit, and I have noticed alot of wires have been cut, maybe ripped out, Which has also meant a wire has been ripped out which turns on a little screen on the dash which tells me the time and date, they may also connect to a cd player which I will be buying soon.

I have had a look at the wires and the colours are; green, green and black, grey, grey and black, purple, yellow, brown and black, red and grey, blue and red, black and grey, and a red wire. I don't know if that's any help to anyone but I wondered if it is, could you possibly tell me which wires connect to which, or where I could find out?

Thanks
Smithy
I had an N-reg Astra a couple of years ago and had the same problem. I'm by no means an expert in this field, but with my stereo, I bought a block (cant think of it's proper name....little white thing that joins the wires lol!) from Halfords or something and simply joined the wires together, I joined the same colours to each other (blue to blue, green to green etc), and the stereo worked ok....apart from the fact that I would only get any sound coming out if the sidelights were on lol....nevermind though!

Also, you'll probably find that you'll lose the time/date/outside temperature from the dashboard display, as this works in conjunction with the factory fitted stereo system, unfortunatelly it's the same on all Vauxhalls. The display will show up but only whilst the stereo is turned off. You can probably get around this but I have no idea how, sorry!

Good luck!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I had an N-reg Astra a couple of years ago and had the same problem. I'm by no means an expert in this field, but with my stereo, I bought a block (cant think of it's proper name....little white thing that joins the wires lol!) from Halfords or something and simply joined the wires together, I joined the same colours to each other (blue to blue, green to green etc), and the stereo worked ok....apart from the fact that I would only get any sound coming out if the sidelights were on lol....nevermind though!

Also, you'll probably find that you'll lose the time/date/outside temperature from the dashboard display, as this works in conjunction with the factory fitted stereo system, unfortunatelly it's the same on all Vauxhalls. The display will show up but only whilst the stereo is turned off. You can probably get around this but I have no idea how, sorry!

Good luck!
wiring harness cliff

to get the right colours for sure, you probably need a manual with the wiring diagram. ... or someone on here who's wired the same car.

there should at least be 3 wires that you can determine if you've got a multimeter ... 12V constant (ie: always attached to battery), 12V ignition (only 12V with ignition on or acc), and ground (reference 0V).
Old 05-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #4
nickb444
CF Newbie

Hey, im in exactly the same situation. 17, P reg 1.4 corsa. In mine, the display is still intact, but no longer have a cigarette lighter for charging my phone, gps etc. Wouldnt mind having a cd player aswell.

I found this, dont know if its any help, but might have the bits you want:

http://www.bluespot.co.uk/install/show_model.asp?id=281
nickb444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #5
gliderboy
CF Newbie

how to wire in a headunit with no iso plugs

ok this is very easy to sort out.
you will need
wire strippers
wire cutters,
multimeater
crimpers
9v battrie (like in smoke alarm)
and a load of femail and male bullet connectors.

right still reading good.
you need to determin 3 wires.
this is peremant 12v, ignition 12v, and earth. on a standard iso this would be permenant=yellow, ignition=red, earth=black.
but not all cars are the same. so
use your multi meater and be carefull not to short circuit any of the wires (touch them together) clip you multimeater to the car i use the cigarett lighter rim(outside of it) or on the door pin. now with the other wire poke it into all the wires untill you find 12v mark this this is now your yellow wire. tape it up so it does not spark on things.
now turn on the ignition and do the same and find a 12v one this is now your red wire tape it and mark it.

now to find earth it is usualy a thicker wire to the rest. and will be in the same wiring harness at the other two.(will show as 0v on multimeater oviously) ok put female bullet connectors on thease.
now the harder bit.
get your 9v battrie and your need to look at all the remaining wires there should be 4 patterns (if your have front and rear speakers) or two patterns (if you have front speakers) one wire will have a stripe gor example green wire and greenwire with black line.

on a standard iso lead Purple and green are your rear speakers and white and gray are your fronts.

so find two wires you think are the same and put this battrie on them, you should hear a click from one speaker you then know what speaker this is so mark it front right or rear left. then use the bullet connectors and crimp the wires together.
bobs your uncle and its done.

this job is easy and takes me about 15minuets but could easly take an hour+

no if you have that screen that tells you what radio station you are on it will not work with uprated headunits unless you buy a leed for it, but not all headunits support it and to be honest you done need it just look at the stero.

hope this has helped
gliderboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
True_Brit
Has a new job!

i had the same problem with my p reg vectra, the previous owner cut the wires instead of disconnecting, im no bright spark in electrics (whether its true or not) i was told by the guy who was doing it that most people join colour with same colour eg blue and blue, red and red but apparently thats the wrong way to do it! ive got it fixed apart from one wire!!! the radio aerial, they cut that and im just wondering if you can get an end or a whole new one?

www.myspace.com/jhn123
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
........Greek warrior cant reply because hes probably beating it like it owes him money.
True_Brit is offline   Reply With Quote