Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
But here's the thing, I don't see rally lights or skyline taillights on those beautes. Those are clean and tasteful custom cruisers. Do you like the styling this guy used for his "dream machine"?

*sigh* You see custom cosmetic mods geared toward THEIR era. It's the same CONCEPT. For example, many use taillights/headlights/trim from other cars of their era, YOU just don't really see it. In the early '60s, the '59 Caddy taillight was the equivalent of Altezzas today, finding it's way onto custom versions of everything.

This '54 Chevy uses Packard taillights:

So does this Buick:

It's NO different than putting Slyline taillights on a Civic.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #17
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
But here's the thing, I don't see rally lights or skyline taillights on those beautes. Those are clean and tasteful custom cruisers. Do you like the styling this guy used for his "dream machine"? C'mon, tell me that rear bumper doesn't clash with the rest of the car. None of his lines flow cleanly.

Face it, this guy is trying so hard to look fast.
I could fill a football stadium with people who would disagree with you on both sides. Some people like the look of that Civic (it is a Civic, isn't it?). Some people would tell you that the mods done on those lead sleds are grotesque and a destroyed and devalued an otherwise fine old car.

It's one thing to dislike what someone else has done to their car, it's another to sh*t on them for doing it. Take your car for example. To me it's a complete waste of a perfectly good car, BUT YOU LIKE IT. Until I start paying for it and driving it, that should be all that really counts.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #18
elchango36
WWJCD

So where do you draw the line bewtween artistic expression and rice? Do you mean to tell me that those "racing seats" are purely for cosmetic purposes and not for anything else?
Old 04-26-2006, 07:33 PM   #19
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
So where do you draw the line bewtween artistic expression and rice? Do you mean to tell me that those "racing seats" are purely for cosmetic purposes and not for anything else?
Have you been paying attention, or just trying to force your opinion down my throat. I THINK THE CAR IS UGLY AS HELL. But I don't own it, I don't pay for it and it certainly has no affect on my life if the current or future owner likes it that way. It's as simple as this. As an American citizen, you have the right not to look at it. I suggest you excercise that right.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-26-2006, 07:41 PM   #20
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Have you been paying attention, or just trying to force your opinion down my throat. I THINK THE CAR IS UGLY AS HELL. But I don't own it, I don't pay for it and it certainly has no affect on my life if the current or future owner likes it that way. It's as simple as this. As an American citizen, you have the right not to look at it. I suggest you excercise that right.
No need to get angry, my question was simple. Where do you draw the line? You defend this guy for his artistic expression but you also occasionaly join in on the mockery of ricers (then again, you make fun of all people ).

Last edited by elchango36 : 04-26-2006 at 07:45 PM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #21
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
No need to get angry, my question was simple. Where do you draw the line? You defend this guy for his artistic expression but you also occasionaly join in on the mockery of ricers.
I also detest racism but find Carlos Mencia and Dave Chapelle to be hilarious. Where do I draw the line? Well, YOUR car is kinda ricey. Don't like the answer? Tough, you shouldn't have asked the question. I don't like rice. I don't like jacked up Camaros. I don't like Beetles with '40 Ford front ends on them. But as long as the owner likes it, that's all that really matters. My opinion on them is just that, MY OPINION.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #22
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
I also detest racism but find Carlos Mencia and Dave Chapelle to be hilarious. Where do I draw the line? Well, YOUR car is kinda ricey. Don't like the answer? Tough, you shouldn't have asked the question. I don't like rice. I don't like jacked up Camaros. I don't like Beetles with '40 Ford front ends on them. But as long as the owner likes it, that's all that really matters. My opinion on them is just that, MY OPINION.
So be it. Many people have different meanings for the word "rice". The fact that you think my car is "kinda ricey" doesn't bother me at all, it is afterall, your opinion. I'm just curious to know what exactly do you mean by "jacked up Camaros"?
Old 04-26-2006, 08:12 PM   #23
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
So be it. Many people have different meanings for the word "rice". The fact that you think my car is "kinda ricey" doesn't bother me at all, it is afterall, your opinion. I'm just curious to know what exactly do you mean by "jacked up Camaros"?
You claim to be from Chicago, but don't know what a jacked up Camaro looks like? They're the original Chicago hotrod.

It's high in front because the engine is out.

Old 04-26-2006, 08:15 PM   #24
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
You claim to be from Chicago, but don't know what a jacked up Camaro looks like? They're the original Chicago hotrod.

It's high in front because the engine is out.
I've seen those before, i just wasn't clear on you definition of "jacked up" is all .
Old 04-26-2006, 09:13 PM   #25
hondaman
I drive a Buick.

Well then, tell me what you all think about...

THIS?!

....and watch newyorker emerge from the shadows.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 PM   #26
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

*I* draw the line at the owner's attitude. If the OWNER thinks that doing cosmetic mods makes his car faster, it's rice. If the owner thinks cosmetic mods make his car look better, it's NOT rice, even if I personally don't think it looks better.

Part of the issue of rice vs traditional customizing was that the rice scene does have its share of poseurs trying to fake their way to a more "respectable" car. This may show up in the parts they use, but it's still based on their attitude. A prime example of this is the fake plastic intercooler, fake BOV sound effects, and stickers for parts they aren't even using (such as a Mugen sticker on a Toyota), or a 4-5" exhaust tip on a 1 3/8" exhaust pipe behind a stock engine.

OTOH, traditional customs had their share of fake parts, too. Scoops, lights, split exhaust with glaspacks to give a 6 cyl a more "racy" sound, etc.

The point is, however, mass produced cars are compromises. Every last one of them. We ALL have different aesthetic tastes, meaning that for one person, a car might be pretty close to exactly what they want, other than taillight shape, color, and trim. A few quick changes and the car is suddenly exactly what they want. Some people want more changes, some simply want different changes. Some don't want any changes ata ll.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #27
Wally
I Know More Than You

Yeah each to their own. In so far as rice, well it got it's name for a reason, which obvioulsy didn't apply to cars that hailed outside of Japan. We used to call addons fruit and the bling, jewellery.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:32 PM   #28
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaman
Well then, tell me what you all think about...

THIS?!

....and watch newyorker emerge from the shadows.
Hmmm....4-doors shouldn't have 2 Lambo doors.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:50 AM   #29
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Doh ! NM
Old 04-27-2006, 04:35 AM   #30
$MAJIK$
CF Newbie

that car is ridiculous, some is ok but that is over the top. and for you people, you talk crap (some of you anyway... elchango)
$MAJIK$ is offline   Reply With Quote