Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 03:00 PM   #1
magus57
CF Newbie

How much mileage on a 4 cylinder?

I was thinking of getting a 240sx (or some other similar Nissan 4 cyl. sports car) as my first car because they are generally inexpensive and get somewhat good mileage (21/26 mpg). But as I was looking at the car ads, most of them were over 100,000 miles. There were even a couple at about 150,000. What would be the risks of having a car like that? I only plan to use the car to get to school and to my job, and from time to time some other places (so basically I'd be getting gas once every 1-2 weeks, or even longer). How many miles should I look for in a 4 cyl. Nissan?

And if you could, could you guys reccomend me some Japanese sports cars that are relatively inexpensive?
magus57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

wow, im the first one to post here. lets see

you should be fine with whatever kind of car unless the car is well known for breaking down, wearing this and that out etc etc

as long as you change the oil regularly and all that other good stuff
you shouldnt have any major worries

and 4 cyl sports cars from japan?

the miata would be a great choice but it only has two seats...
240sx is probably a good car to go with, rwd too
just my

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:39 PM   #3
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Nissans, as with most Japanese car, tend to go on for ever. Probably the most reliable are Honda's though, although Nissans are also amonst the most reliable. I once saw a Toyota Corina with 450,000miles on the clock, and over here that's nothing short of excessive!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #4
nighthawk
Part Time Active User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Nissans, as with most Japanese car, tend to go on for ever. Probably the most reliable are Honda's though, although Nissans are also amonst the most reliable. I once saw a Toyota Corina with 450,000miles on the clock, and over here that's nothing short of excessive!

ever hear of the corolla in the toyota museum with 1.000.000 miles?
or something like that

"There is a big difference between being fast and powerful and just being loud and annoying."
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk
ever hear of the corolla in the toyota museum with 1.000.000 miles?
or something like that
No, I've never heard of that before, but I can certainly believe it!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 04-27-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

the one thing that i do know that nissans suffer from are somewhat weak transmissions. not all of them, but some are known to be prone of this weakness.

hondas.... i guess that they are just a tad bit more expensive to maintain when something breaks.

toyotas.... i guess u could say they are a mid point with somewhat weaker heads.

mazdas, they are rearer compared to the other 3 (at least in PR).... not the cheapest but not the most expensive in parts.

subarus.... they're good, but tend to be costly if something breaks, and they arent that common so u would have a rougher time finding things.

mitsubishis are cheap and common, and im not saying they're bad. i just dont find them to have as good of a quality as the rest.

in the end, just get something u really like. thats always the best choice (in your mind, but who gives a damn when it's your very first car?)

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:21 PM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
subarus.... they're good, but tend to be costly if something breaks, and they arent that common so u would have a rougher time finding things.
I think Subarus are probably the weaker of the Japanese veriaty, engines tend to last only a few thousand miles in comparisom with the likes of Hondas and Toyotas. And as you say, parts can be costly and very hard to come by! A collegue of mine owns a '98 Subaru Legacy GT TT Auto, his alternator is on the way out and there are none available in the UK, he's been quoted 900+ for one to be imported from Japan. I suggested he check out a few scrap yards or look on eBay or something similar, but he couldn't find one, which just goes to show that they're raer.....atleast over here!

Also, his car has just 70,000miles on it and aparently the 2.0Boxer lump is only expected to last between 60/70,000miles. He's also replaced the Gearbox on it too, as it was screwed

Old 04-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Inygknok
El del Supra

u know, their engines is something i have doubts on. the new subaru's, mainly the STi's obviously, come with forged internals and are shown as being strong engines and such. fine, they do produce satisfying amounts of power from a stock base and gain power with simple mods quite easily, but do they actually last? or do they break down like the older generations? or worse? how bout with mods?

u know anything bout that cliffy?

Old 04-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
u know, their engines is something i have doubts on. the new subaru's, mainly the STi's obviously, come with forged internals and are shown as being strong engines and such. fine, they do produce satisfying amounts of power from a stock base and gain power with simple mods quite easily, but do they actually last? or do they break down like the older generations? or worse? how bout with mods?

u know anything bout that cliffy?
Not from personal experience, but as I said earlier, I have seen how much my freinds car has gone wrong, it might just be his car, but I think most of what he has suffered is comonplace amounst Subarus. He's added a few minor mods to his Legacy and I'm sure it hasn't done him any favours (I'm extreamly skeptical about smaller mods, like uprated metal air pipes etc). It's also showing a few faults on the engine as I remember. As I said, I dont wanna unnecessarily stereotype all Subarus as that might be incorrect, but from the information I've received about these cars, it would seem that owners who have experienced problems, experience the same problems as each other

Also, I'm not too sure about new Subarus as we in the UK have taken to using the same 2.5litre engines as you guys in the States, and I know it's fundamentally the same engine, but I'm guessing it's probably had some modifications etc other than the boring out. I'm also refering to the 4-cylinder engines more than the 3.0litre Legacy's 6-cylinder lump

Last edited by Cliffy : 04-27-2006 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #10
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Not from personal experience, but as I said earlier, I have seen how much my freinds car has gone wrong, it might just be his car, but I think most of what he has suffered is comonplace amounst Subarus. He's added a few minor mods to his Legacy and I'm sure it hasn't done him any favours (I'm extreamly skeptical about smaller mods, like uprated metal air pipes etc). It's also showing a few faults on the engine as I remember. As I said, I dont wanna unnecessarily stereotype all Subarus as that might be incorrect, but from the information I've received about these cars, it would seem that owners who have experienced problems, experience the same problems as each other

Also, I'm not too sure about new Subarus as we in the UK have taken to using the same 2.5litre engines as you guys in the States, and I know it's fundamentally the same engine, but I'm guessing it's probably had some modifications etc other than the boring out. I'm also refering to the 4-cylinder engines more than the 3.0litre Legacy's 6-cylinder lump

ah, but the new STi's have sticked with the 2.2L version (or 2.0, but im sure its the 2.2L). the 2.5's are used on the cheaper RS aspirated models.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
ah, but the new STi's have sticked with the 2.2L version (or 2.0, but im sure its the 2.2L). the 2.5's are used on the cheaper RS aspirated models.
I see......but the 2.5's never used to be NA did they?...because we used the 2.0litre and your equivelent was the 2.5litre, both Turbo's. I'd imagine the problems are pretty much the same anyway ...And I think you're right about the 2.2litre now, I remember seeing something about it!

Old 04-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #12
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

I used to know a kid who had a 240SX. He bought it real cheap, but it was a ton of fun for the $. He never mentioned any problems with it, and I know it had over 100K. He ended up selling it for something like $1,300, and I really wished I had some extra cash to buy it from him. I'm sure I could have found some amatuer racing series type event to enter it in or something.

I can't say much else about the car as I don't know them too well, but a good place to check what owners think about a car is www.carsurvey.org

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #13
magus57
CF Newbie

I just have two last questions:

1. I told my father about the 240sx and how you guys said they would still run after 150,000+ miles, but he still didn't believe me saying that over time, I would have to replace everything in the car. What would be some major things I would need to replace if I got a 240sx with, lets say, 200,000 miles on it? And what oil/gas would I use to keep it running the best?

2. How much would insurance cost if I (a 16-year-old, straight-A student) bought the 240sx (which is a sports car) under my parents (who have AllState and pay about $1000 a year for two cars)? My father keeps telling me that the insurance rates are going to be very high (he claims $500/year for me) and almost double if I get into a car accident, even if it wasn't my fault (according to the police report). Is that true? And would it cost the same if my father bought the car and put me as the secondary driver?

Thanks for the help, BTW.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:44 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magus57
I just have two last questions:

1. I told my father about the 240sx and how you guys said they would still run after 150,000+ miles, but he still didn't believe me saying that over time, I would have to replace everything in the car. What would be some major things I would need to replace if I got a 240sx with, lets say, 200,000 miles on it? And what oil/gas would I use to keep it running the best?

2. How much would insurance cost if I (a 16-year-old, straight-A student) bought the 240sx (which is a sports car) under my parents (who have AllState and pay about $1000 a year for two cars)? My father keeps telling me that the insurance rates are going to be very high (he claims $500/year for me) and almost double if I get into a car accident, even if it wasn't my fault (according to the police report). Is that true? And would it cost the same if my father bought the car and put me as the secondary driver?

Thanks for the help, BTW.
Most cars with excessive mileage will inevitably need parts replacing over time, but chances are it's only likely to be ware & tear items such as Brakes, Clutch etc. If you buy a higher mileage car it's one of those things you have to be prepared for. I've owned high mileage cars and haven't noticed a lot of difference in what goes wrong etc.

You have it easy as far as insurance goes over there! In the UK I very much doubt a new driver would get insured on such a car let alone pay as little per year as that! The minimum a n00b driver here would probably pay would be 2,500, even on their parents policy they'd probably be increase it excessively lol

The policy should only increase in price if you make a claim, ie; if you're in an accident that is your fauly. Obviously I cant speak for the whole world, but that's how it is here, we have a 'No Claims' bonus which speaks for itself really!

Old 04-28-2006, 04:39 PM   #15
magus57
CF Newbie

Wow, that does suck.

Is there any place that you can get a quote when you're under 18? I live in Illinois BTW.