Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2004, 04:24 AM   #1
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast

The Hemi(Advantages of Hemispherical Cylinders)

I would like to know what are the advantages, and or disandvantages of the hemispherical engine type? I never thought more than, wow their cylinder heads are hemispherical! Of course, I know very little about American cars, so I may be wrong in stating the heads are hemispherical. I would like to get as much info as anyone can give me in the simplest terms.
Thank you

<Power to Weight>

Integra_LS - Member of the unofficial vwhobo fan
Integra_LS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 03:21 AM   #2
enron fever
CF Addict

think "vroom vroom"
enron fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 04:41 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by enron fever
think "vroom vroom"
Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say. Thank you for that astute observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Integra_LS
I would like to know what are the advantages, and or disandvantages of the hemispherical engine type? I never thought more than, wow their cylinder heads are hemispherical! Of course, I know very little about American cars, so I may be wrong in stating the heads are hemispherical. I would like to get as much info as anyone can give me in the simplest terms.
Thank you
I started to type an explanation and the I thought there has to be a better way. And of course there is. Just make some clickage and be ready for a VERY complete answer to your question.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/chrysler-hemi.html

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 11:05 PM   #4
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast

Vroom Vroom eh? What I gathered from this, there are quite a few advantages of hemispherical cylinder heads. Thank you very much for the page and the help.

Now to start a discussion, what do you think of hemispherical heads being applyed in four cylinder cars, big breakthrough, or just hemi heads on a I-4? For awhile when I heard of the dodge srt-4(The first car "I" have known about to have an inline 4 hemi, not saying it was the first) I just thought, okay? Hemispherical heads, so? But after reading some reviews of the srt-4 I damn near shitted myeself! For 20,000$ you can have(In my oppinion) the best 4 cylinder Front engine Front drive car widely available in the united states, for UNDER 22,000$ Impressive. Although the car does boast a stock turbo charger(Don't hate the boooost), it is easily upgradeable, and in my oppinion, very easy on the eyes. To cut to the point being a compact, and fuel economic car lover(I just love 4 cylinders) I think that the use of hemispherical heads in a four cylinder was BADASS. And although I am no American car fan, this car has swayyed my views on gas-guzzling american smoke stacks(This was prior to the srt-4, now I can respect those gas guzzling smoke stacks :-)). It's also nice to see a company do something new, that isn't some drastic new age designed space ship car or something(this is all oppinion, I know there are exceptions to what I am saying, Pontiac GTO, new car, simplistic design, but you get what I'm saying?).

To sum all of my ranting up. It's damn nice to see an American car, harnessing older technology(even if it is damn good technology) keeping a simplistic design on a 4 cylinder, economical 4 door sedan. While also boasting 200+ horse, a 14.0 stock 1/4 time(niiiice ) and above all using an American work horse, THE HEMI!

Also, sorry about kind of switching up the subject, but why waste more space on a new thread?

<Power to Weight>

Old 04-02-2004, 11:30 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Vroom Vroom eh? What I gathered from this, there are quite a few advantages of hemispherical cylinder heads. Thank you very much for the page and the help.

Now to start a discussion, what do you think of hemispherical heads being applyed in four cylinder cars, big breakthrough, or just hemi heads on a I-4? For awhile when I heard of the dodge srt-4(The first car "I" have known about to have an inline 4 hemi, not saying it was the first) I just thought, okay? Hemispherical heads, so? But after reading some reviews of the srt-4 I damn near shitted myeself! For 20,000$ you can have(In my oppinion) the best 4 cylinder Front engine Front drive car widely available in the united states, for UNDER 22,000$ Impressive. Although the car does boast a stock turbo charger(Don't hate the boooost), it is easily upgradeable, and in my oppinion, very easy on the eyes. To cut to the point being a compact, and fuel economic car lover(I just love 4 cylinders) I think that the use of hemispherical heads in a four cylinder was BADASS. And although I am no American car fan, this car has swayyed my views on gas-guzzling american smoke stacks(This was prior to the srt-4, now I can respect those gas guzzling smoke stacks :-)). It's also nice to see a company do something new, that isn't some drastic new age designed space ship car or something(this is all oppinion, I know there are exceptions to what I am saying, Pontiac GTO, new car, simplistic design, but you get what I'm saying?).

To sum all of my ranting up. It's damn nice to see an American car, harnessing older technology(even if it is damn good technology) keeping a simplistic design on a 4 cylinder, economical 4 door sedan. While also boasting 200+ horse, a 14.0 stock 1/4 time(niiiice ) and above all using an American work horse, THE HEMI!

Also, sorry about kind of switching up the subject, but why waste more space on a new thread?
I didn't realize the SRT-4 had a Hemi head, I thought it was a pentroof design like garden variety Neons. Where is it that you read this information, I'd like to learn more.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-02-2004, 11:51 PM   #6
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I didn't realize the SRT-4 had a Hemi head, I thought it was a pentroof design like garden variety Neons. Where is it that you read this information, I'd like to learn more.

I was pretty sure I read about this in some mainline car magazine, I read about this on my trip to washington state on the plane, I left the magazine in washington state unfortunately. I am looking up this info now, because if I am wrong I will be pretty mad...

...Well shit. Currently I cannot find any info saying the head is hemispherical, maybe I am wrong. I was pretty damn sure that it was hemispherical, if not I have just made an ass out of myeself. Sorry I will continue to look.

<Power to Weight>

Old 04-02-2004, 11:59 PM   #7
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast

Okay I tryed, unless anyone else can back my srt-4 using a hemi head, I will say that I was wrong, and should have looked up the info first. But, my oppinion still stands on the srt-4, and my post above, besides having my oppinion on the srt-4 relates in no way to this topic.
Sorry all.

<Power to Weight>

Old 04-03-2004, 12:07 AM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I was pretty sure I read about this in some mainline car magazine, I read about this on my trip to washington state on the plane, I left the magazine in washington state unfortunately. I am looking up this info now, because if I am wrong I will be pretty mad...

...Well shit. Currently I cannot find any info saying the head is hemispherical, maybe I am wrong. I was pretty damn sure that it was hemispherical, if not I have just made an ass out of myeself. Sorry I will continue to look.
Correction. You will make an ass out of yourself if you insist it is a Hemi and can't back it up. You will make an ass out of yourself if you blame someone else for what you said. You will make an ass out of yourself if you get mad at me because I brought it up. If you're just wrong, then you're just wrong, no harm, no foul. People are wrong everyday, it's all about how they handle it. Don't forget, the possibility exists that I'm the one who's wrong. No biggie, learn and go on.

Old 04-03-2004, 02:47 AM   #9
Integra_LS
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Correction. You will make an ass out of yourself if you insist it is a Hemi and can't back it up. You will make an ass out of yourself if you blame someone else for what you said. You will make an ass out of yourself if you get mad at me because I brought it up. If you're just wrong, then you're just wrong, no harm, no foul. People are wrong everyday, it's all about how they handle it. Don't forget, the possibility exists that I'm the one who's wrong. No biggie, learn and go on.

I would rather be proved wrong, and be made a fool of, then go on thinking that I was right and be wrong all along. Atleast the first way you learn something. Mistakes have been the building blocks of society since the homosapien race made chevy... LOL. J/k.

<Power to Weight>

Old 04-03-2004, 02:50 AM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I would rather be proved wrong, and be made a fool of, then go on thinking that I was right and be wrong all along. Atleast the first way you learn something. Mistakes have been the building blocks of society since the homosapien race made chevy... LOL. J/k.
Exactly correct. I like to say you can learn more from your mistakes than you can from your successes. It's all in how you look at them.