Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 06:32 PM   #1
m_mcandie
CF Newbie

250SD ford hubs

I was told that if I ran my truck with the hubs locked in all the time I would get better gas mileage. Its a 03 sd250 with the combination lockin hubs and auto hubs. They said with the hubs locked in there was less moving parts. Is this true and will it hurt anything to leave them locked in? Thanks
m_mcandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
m_mcandie
CF Newbie

You have the switch inside to put into 4wd or 4wdl. With the hubs unlocked you can switch to 4wd and be in 4wd. They say this is good for short distances but if you are going to drive a ways or need to do some heavy 4 wheelin to lock the hubs in. I dont fully understand it but it does work.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
glagon1979
daddy x3

i think i'm confused
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
i think i'm confused
It's obvious you're not the only one dude.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Wally
I Know More Than You

I really wish people would learn proper terms for car parts. I know VWHobo gets on his hobby horse about "rims" and one of my pet hates is the misuse of "hubs" when really referring to axles, knuckles, etc.

m_mcandie if you are talking about introducing more gear meshing into the drive train, you will invariably add more inefficiencies.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
m_mcandie
CF Newbie

Wally, I am refering to those little round thingys in the center of the wheel thingys that say lock and unlock(maybe talking girlish instead of someone who's been a heavy equipment mechanic for 20 some odd years will help). I do happen to know what hubs are as well as the axle, universal joints, seals, bearings and races, ring and pinion, locking or non locking differential whether it be an open, mechanical locker or clutch locker or for that matter an air locker as well as the 100 or so other parts involved with the front end and I do know the difference between wheels and rims as well as motors and engines. I dont know how to make it any plainer. I am sure I could dissasemble the front end and figure it out for myself but I was hopeing someone here could tell me without having to do that. I dont understand how the hubs or whatever is actually locking the front end into 4wd work on this truck. All I know to say is when I turn the switch to 4wd, even with the hubs(little round thingys) in the unlocked position, it will still go into 4wd for short periods of time, for instance, 2 days after a big snow storm and all of the roads are clear except for mine(150' long driveway), instead of having to lock the hubs in, just put it in 4wd and go. If you are in the middle of the snow storm and have to travel 50 miles on slick roads it is supposed to be better if you lock the hubs in. Now that I have described it again, my question was, is there more moving parts with the hubs locked in or unlocked. Thanks
Old 04-29-2006, 01:08 AM   #7
Wally
I Know More Than You

Point taken, but you have a ways to catch me if 20 years heavy machinery is a criteria...I am eligible to use words like thingymabob, whoseamawatchit, doohickey and wotthefukisthat. My diploma is a grade IV from the prestigious Heath Robinson Institute.

Of course one could argue that the hub is actually part of the wheel, that mates to the hub carrier assembly that mates to the axle, that mates to the steering knuckle support.....

Last edited by Wally : 04-29-2006 at 04:33 AM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:33 PM   #8
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_mcandie
Wally, I am refering to those little round thingys in the center of the wheel thingys that say lock and unlock(maybe talking girlish instead of someone who's been a heavy equipment mechanic for 20 some odd years will help). I do happen to know what hubs are as well as the axle, universal joints, seals, bearings and races, ring and pinion, locking or non locking differential whether it be an open, mechanical locker or clutch locker or for that matter an air locker as well as the 100 or so other parts involved with the front end and I do know the difference between wheels and rims as well as motors and engines. I dont know how to make it any plainer. I am sure I could dissasemble the front end and figure it out for myself but I was hopeing someone here could tell me without having to do that. I dont understand how the hubs or whatever is actually locking the front end into 4wd work on this truck. All I know to say is when I turn the switch to 4wd, even with the hubs(little round thingys) in the unlocked position, it will still go into 4wd for short periods of time, for instance, 2 days after a big snow storm and all of the roads are clear except for mine(150' long driveway), instead of having to lock the hubs in, just put it in 4wd and go. If you are in the middle of the snow storm and have to travel 50 miles on slick roads it is supposed to be better if you lock the hubs in. Now that I have described it again, my question was, are there more moving parts with the hubs locked in or unlocked. Thanks

for as smart and as experienced as you say you are, that's gotta be the stupidest f*cking question for you to ask... i am completely baffled as to how you can be a heavy equipment mechanic "for 20-odd years" and not understand hubs. if they're staying locked after you switch them to unlocked, they're either f'ing broken or mechanically bound up. try backing up an foot or two w/ them unlocked and the truck in 2wd. if they're not f'ed up internally, they'll unlock...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 02:57 PM   #9
mustangmaniac
CF Newbie

Well dodger65, Maybe the dodge part is what your problem is . Ford designed them this way. Its called modern technology, something I think Dodge is trying to catch up with. Obviously this was not the right forum to submit this to, I was hoping for an intelligent answer instead of a bunch of yahoos, not including tbaxleyjr, he's the only one who tried to help. This is the first forum I have seen that has so many people trying so hard vent some of there own problems on someone else who just asks a simple question. You people talk about terminology and language, I think some of you need to go to public speech class and learn that every other word doesnt have to be a 4 letter word. I am sorry I posted here and caused problems but maybe it will help make someones day. I guess the old saying of if you want something done do it yourself should be the name of this forum or maybe "badger time". Have a nice day and kiss my ass (3 letters) goodbye.
mustangmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmaniac
Well dodger65, Maybe the dodge part is what your problem is . Ford designed them this way. Its called modern technology, something I think Dodge is trying to catch up with. Obviously this was not the right forum to submit this to, I was hoping for an intelligent answer instead of a bunch of yahoos, not including tbaxleyjr, he's the only one who tried to help. This is the first forum I have seen that has so many people trying so hard vent some of there own problems on someone else who just asks a simple question. You people talk about terminology and language, I think some of you need to go to public speech class and learn that every other word doesnt have to be a 4 letter word. I am sorry I posted here and caused problems but maybe it will help make someones day. I guess the old saying of if you want something done do it yourself should be the name of this forum or maybe "badger time". Have a nice day and kiss my ass (3 letters) goodbye.

i will have a nice day, thanks! i'm not going to kiss your ass, but don't let the door hit yours...

btw, why do you have 2 screen names?

Last edited by dodger65 : 04-29-2006 at 05:58 PM.
dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:07 AM   #11
Wally
I Know More Than You

What a sook.

Quote:
For those who are fussy about terminology - If I were to try describe this device in pure machinery terms, to a Jeep specialty parts dealer or to another off roader, I would be laughed out of the county

Really... they mask their ineptitude by harassing victims to leave the country who don't use the same slang? There must be very few purchasing officers in the USA.

Last edited by Wally : 04-30-2006 at 12:29 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

I was just pulling your leg

And it's a "Hub Assembly" or for fornt discs; "Rotor and Hub Assembly". There are even things called "Hub Studs' that bolt the wheel hub to the "Hub Assembly" flange.

You say tomato, I say tomato, you say potato, I say potato,...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AxleFlange.jpg (51.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Wally : 04-30-2006 at 10:02 AM.