Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2006, 12:35 AM   #1
Wally
I Know More Than You

Fuel Watch

We're tipping over the US$1/litre mark here (about 29 cents of that goes to the Govt in excise tax.)
Old 04-28-2006, 12:55 AM   #2
chris_knows
๑۩۞

It's getting pretty close to that here too, and taxes are something like 30 cents for every litre here...It sucks because I won't start driving for another couple of months, and by then I'll have to sell my dog to drive to school
Old 04-28-2006, 01:06 AM   #3
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
It's getting pretty close to that here too, and taxes are something like 30 cents for every litre here...It sucks because I won't start driving for another couple of months, and by then I'll have to sell my dog to drive to school
Atleast you have a dog to sell... . If all goes well, then I should get an OYAP (Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program) next year in February.. the downside is that I'll have to drive quite a distance 5 days a week, there and back and by the look of gas prices I don't know if I could afford to pay for gas, insurance, my car and everything else lol (I don't have help from mommy and daddy lol).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:24 AM   #4
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

just over 3 a gallon here. So its only about 27-33 bucks depending what day its on for a tank. I'll stop complaining once I have no more bills to pay (not many btw)
Old 04-28-2006, 04:10 AM   #5
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Yeah, stop bitching.

Our fuel cost is almost $4.00 USD per US Gallon, and costs are predicted to almost double in the next 7-8 months. Yes, I understand that right now, the only other G7 country that has lower gas cost is the USA, but from the predictions, we will soon be one of the top...

And there is somewhere in the realm of 45 cents per litre taken in various taxes on each litre here in SSK.
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:40 AM   #6
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

how's that 5.0 working out for you, wally?
Old 04-28-2006, 05:27 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

You guys have no idea lol.....over here it's over £1 per litre in some places!....now that's taking the micky

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:56 AM   #8
dodgerforlife
Resident CF Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
You guys have no idea lol.....over here it's over 1 per litre in some places!....now that's taking the micky

yeah, like I said, I understand that Canada is still the 2nd lowest in the G7....but give us a few months there Cliffy and we will catch up........
dodgerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:01 AM   #9
salimander13
Teach me, I'm learning

after all these years, I still can't believe that they havn't found a substitute for gas for a cheaper price that will give around the same performance if you will. I was talking to my friends about this a while ago, I can't remember all the facts, but they said at the rate at which we are burning fuel, all the fuel should be wiped out within the next 50 to 100 years.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
Wally
I Know More Than You

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
how's that 5.0 working out for you, wally?

Forget that one, it's the 5.7 litre that is being nursed. Still looking at getting the yet to be released Holden with the 6.0 though.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:36 PM   #11
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by salimander13
after all these years, I still can't believe that they havn't found a substitute for gas for a cheaper price that will give around the same performance if you will. I was talking to my friends about this a while ago, I can't remember all the facts, but they said at the rate at which we are burning fuel, all the fuel should be wiped out within the next 50 to 100 years.
There's always biodiesel...Too bad it only works on diesels though lol. I wonder what would happen if you put it in a gas car?
Old 04-28-2006, 01:17 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Keep in mind that the "experts" made the same prediction as early as the mid 1930's.

When petroleum is no longer viable due to cost or availability, change will happen. Until then our choices are to pay the piper or change adversely affect our standard of living. Remember, you could do your part to help RIGHT NOW by getting rid of your 5.0 and using a combination of a moped, public transportation and your feet.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Remember, you could do your part to help RIGHT NOW by getting rid of your 5.0 and using a combination of a moped, public transportation and your feet.
He COULD......

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 03:57 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
I'm sure you can run a car on sunflower oil lol....not entirely legal though. Also, farmers etc have the advantage of paying no tax for their Diesel, I'm not sure if you guys have it over there, but it's known as 'red diesel' and it's been dyed red so that it's easy for HM Customs & Excise to spot if not being used for agricultural duties etc! The travelling comunities like using it....however illegal it may be to them, but then, they tend to avoid paying tax anyway

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Fuel costs compared to my paycheck are the same now as when it was only a buck a gallon. And even in my 10 mpg Rangie, it only takes $3 a day to commute. Guess how much it costs to ride the bus/rail per day? $3.50

Funny that the vehicles I've owned with the worst fuel mileage were British, from a land where fuel cost considerably more than here..

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote