Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2006, 05:27 PM   #1
1freddyveva
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4
Cool 1998 Ford escort engine blow out.

Hi to all...

I own a 1998 Ford Escort 2.0 SOHC, the engine blow out, I need to know if the engine from 2002 fits on 1998, I found a very low milage 2002 but I'm not sure if the block and head valve are the same and what are diferent. I really apreciate your comments and sugestions to all... Thanks. Freddy.
1freddyveva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freddyveva
Hi to all...

I own a 1998 Ford Escort 2.0 SOHC, the engine blow out, I need to know if the engine from 2002 fits on 1998, I found a very low milage 2002 but I'm not sure if the block and head valve are the same and what are diferent. I really apreciate your comments and sugestions to all... Thanks. Freddy.
Yes, the '00 engine will fit in place of the '98 engine although you'll probably have to swap out some of the ancillary pieces.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Yes, the '00 engine will fit in place of the '98 engine although you'll probably have to swap out some of the ancillary pieces.

i'm curious to know what is the same. the hollander interchange says that they wont work. even the block is different. im always up to prove hollander wrong, but it doent happen very often.
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
i'm curious to know what is the same. the hollander interchange says that they wont work. even the block is different. im always up to prove hollander wrong, but it doent happen very often.
Well, upon quick review it would seem that Hollander and therefore you are correct. I was thinking that '01 was the engine changeover but was wrong.

Is this the part where I start calling you names, cussing at you and calling you stupid because your facts were more correct than mine?
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Well, upon quick review it would seem that Hollander and therefore you are correct. I was thinking that '01 was the engine changeover but was wrong.

Is this the part where I start calling you names, cussing at you and calling you stupid because your facts were more correct than mine?

none needed.
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
1freddyveva
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4
Ford engine 1998 and 2002

You mention the Hollander say this and that, this is a very important decission for me, is there any way could you tellme where I can find this information, this wya I can read and see my self the diference betwen this engines. Please!...
1freddyveva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freddyveva
You mention the Hollander say this and that, this is a very important decission for me, is there any way could you tellme where I can find this information, this wya I can read and see my self the diference betwen this engines. Please!...

is it single or dual overhead cam? federal or california emisions? give me those two pieces of info and i'll tell you what fits. i work at a salvage yard and can look these things up. i can tell you now that you can't put a 2002 engine in a 1998 without some modification

Last edited by glagon1979 : 04-28-2006 at 07:53 PM.
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 05:16 AM   #8
1freddyveva
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4
Ford escort 1998 engine bow out.

OK... let see.... I own 1998 ford escort engine 2.0 SOHC california low emissions, do you still belive or so far in your own experience 2002 won't fit or the block and head valve are diferent, so far I know intake manifold, and sensors are diferent and of course the electrical connectors are diferent, to be more clear, "the block and head valve" are the same OR diferent, "IF they are the same I understand I can swap intake manifold, sensors and transmission from the old engine" so.... go back to the main question the "block and head valve are the same or diferent"?.....
1freddyveva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:27 PM   #9
carls47807
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: new york
Posts: 582
Maybe a better question would be "What is wrong with your old engine"? What exactly blew out?
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2006, 01:41 PM   #10
glagon1979
daddy x3
 
glagon1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: back in Williamson, NY
Posts: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freddyveva
OK... let see.... I own 1998 ford escort engine 2.0 SOHC california low emissions, do you still belive or so far in your own experience 2002 won't fit or the block and head valve are diferent, so far I know intake manifold, and sensors are diferent and of course the electrical connectors are diferent, to be more clear, "the block and head valve" are the same OR diferent, "IF they are the same I understand I can swap intake manifold, sensors and transmission from the old engine" so.... go back to the main question the "block and head valve are the same or diferent"?.....

i already answered your question. if you would READ the thread a little harder.
Quote:
even the block is different
with that being said, you might want to find an engine out of a '98 or '99. just because its older doesnt mean it has more miles
glagon1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 AM   #11
1freddyveva
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4
Ford escort 1998 swap with 2002

First of all thanks to all of you that post you suggestion....so far I already swap the engines I hope to clear all you comments and suggestions.

1.- Removed the engine 1998 SOHC and compare with 2002.
2.- The differences are, the fuel injectors the electrical connectors are different but no problem, if you bought the new 2002 engine complete with wiring harness.
3.- the exhaust tube from the engine block to the EGR valve is different, but NO problem due the new engine 2002 is already set up the EGR valve.
4.- some hoses from the valve cover to the air filter from eng.1998 are different from 2002 but no problem, I went to the junkyard and I got it for 10.00 the all set.

Until this time every one of the mechanics that I took the car for smog check and alignment are surprised that the 2002 engine fit on 1998, 1999. If you have experience working on the cars use you common sense and you will feel great when you see the results. Thanks to all one more time. Freddy.
1freddyveva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
Cliffy
CF Loafer
 
Cliffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NE Hampshire, England, UK
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1freddyveva
First of all thanks to all of you that post you suggestion....so far I already swap the engines I hope to clear all you comments and suggestions.

1.- Removed the engine 1998 SOHC and compare with 2002.
2.- The differences are, the fuel injectors the electrical connectors are different but no problem, if you bought the new 2002 engine complete with wiring harness.
3.- the exhaust tube from the engine block to the EGR valve is different, but NO problem due the new engine 2002 is already set up the EGR valve.
4.- some hoses from the valve cover to the air filter from eng.1998 are different from 2002 but no problem, I went to the junkyard and I got it for 10.00 the all set.

Until this time every one of the mechanics that I took the car for smog check and alignment are surprised that the 2002 engine fit on 1998, 1999. If you have experience working on the cars use you common sense and you will feel great when you see the results. Thanks to all one more time. Freddy.
Blimey, you're back! lol.....Thanks for updating us as to what's been going on. As I'm sure you can appreciate, not many members who come here to ask questions do!
__________________


Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.