Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2004, 05:19 AM   #1
deacon
CF Newbie

what should be my first muscle car?

i have looked into chevelles and nova's and a few others. i want a car to take to the 1/4 races at the track but cruise once awhile on the road. my level of engines is about i would say beyond begginer and my friends is expert (he is helping me)
i am not sure to buy the block and build the car around it or the car then the engine.
my friends dad has a 454 chevelle and he said to go that way or nova. what is some other ones to go with? money does not matter to me i have some change saved now i need the ideas. also when buying the engine should i build it myself or get it prebuilt. and where do i find bodies online for cars i am in cali. thanks for the help folks.
deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:22 AM   #2
Coffin Type R
CF Addict

I don't know if i should say this but, an intro would nice.

~*Lost Soul of Chevy*~

Coffin Type R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 05:23 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

I think the question is, what should be your first step when you become a new member of a forum. That would be to properly introduce yourself in the appropriate section. People are so much more helpful when they know you.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:20 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I think the question is, what should be your first step when you become a new member of a forum. That would be to properly introduce yourself in the appropriate section. People are so much more helpful when they know you.

lol! This is the most anal forum about that that I have ever seen. Most people won't automatically assume that they have to, because almost no other forum actually requires it... One of the bigger forums I've belonged to has this in the newbie faq:

Quote:
If you are new, your post count will tell us this fact. Please don't announce to us that you are new. We know already. Instead lurk, lurk, lurk until you find a topic you have something of value you can contribute to. Telling us you are new will get the minimum in cordial accolades, however if you post something stupid at a later date we will remember you and come down much harder. On the other hand, if you "blend" in and post useful info you will slowly gain respect from the "elders".

Of course, one of the other forums I'm on asks you to go to the introductory forum, and bring 'em a beer while you're at it...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:28 PM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
lol! This is the most anal forum about that that I have ever seen. Most people won't automatically assume that they have to, because almost no other forum actually requires it... One of the bigger forums I've belonged to has this in the newbie faq:

Of course, one of the other forums I'm on asks you to go to the introductory forum, and bring 'em a beer while you're at it...
It's not a nessecity, just a form of courtesy, you're right that most people think that they dont need to introduce themselves and that's right to an extent, but when asking for help I think people should know better than to just ask a question before an intro! afterall, two posts are better than one!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 03:32 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

As for the original question, my recommendation is to find one that is rather cheap to get into, but still has a good restorative following. That generally means a GM offering, like the Nova. Not as expensive as a Chevelle to get into, but all the parts are readily available, and thanks to a huge amount of interchange, easy to upgrade to any level you want. A car like this can make it easier for an inexperienced car builder to get a project done, as everything you want to do will have been done by someone, and the answers are always available. And you won't have to go searching out rare, or hard to find bits.

If you want more of a sense of accomplishment, however, I'd suggest an older Mopar product. You CAN get everything for them, but you have to be a bit more diligent. Your reward is something that isn't as common, but still very respectable. Something like a Coronet 440, or Duster/Dart/Valiant.

Same goes for older Fords that are not Mustangs. Something along the lines of a Fairlane or Torino.

As for locations of them, you'd be surprised, but a local Buy&Sell or Want Ad Weekly (sold next to the Auto trader in local convenience stores) is a good source of projects.

So is cars-on-line.com: http://www.cars-on-line.com/66coronet5958.html

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-01-2004, 03:40 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Once again ChrisV, you're only looking at half the facts before posting. We have an expectation of new members to introduce themselves WHEN THEY WANT SOMETHING. People who find a topic they have something to add to and blend in are just dandy. If you took the time to read you'd know that I have personally stated that at least a few times.

The bottom line is that if someone wants help, it's a common courtesy on their part to make the first introduction. No, that's next to the bottom line. The bottom line is if you don't like the way this forum operates then nobody is making you read it and you are free not to participate. I'm sure the other forums will be happy to have you.

As a final note, once again I see you have entered a thread to bitch about procedure, attitude or something but did nothing to help the individual who is asking for help. Until you become part of the solution you will remain part of the problem.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 04-01-2004, 03:44 PM   #8
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Once again ChrisV, you're only looking at half the facts before posting. We have an expectation of new members to introduce themselves WHEN THEY WANT SOMETHING. People who find a topic they have something to add to and blend in are just dandy. If you took the time to read you'd know that I have personally stated that at least a few times.

The bottom line is that if someone wants help, it's a common courtesy on their part to make the first introduction. No, that's next to the bottom line. The bottom line is if you don't like the way this forum operates then nobody is making you read it and you are free not to participate. I'm sure the other forums will be happy to have you.

As a final note, once again I see you have entered a thread to bitch about procedure, attitude or something but did nothing to help the individual who is asking for help. Until you become part of the solution you will remain part of the problem.
I agree..I seem to recal myself writing a thread in the 'Suggestions' section regarding this, if you have a problem Chris, why not post it there?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 04-01-2004, 03:47 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Once again ChrisV, you're only looking at half the facts before posting. We have an expectation of new members to introduce themselves WHEN THEY WANT SOMETHING.

Once again, vwhobo, you're getting pissy for no real reason, other than that's your first response to ANYTHING.

I merely found it amusing that this is the first response to anyone on here, in contrast to most other automotive forums. I wasn't saying you were wrong. But no, you have to go ahead and be a dick about it anyways.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-01-2004, 03:49 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I agree..I seem to recal myself writing a thread in the 'Suggestions' section regarding this, if you have a problem Chris, why not post it there?

Because I merely found it amusing enough to make an offhand comment, but not effin' important enough to start a new effin' THREAD about it.
Apparently, however, it's important enough for vwhobo to be a COMPLETE dickhead about it.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 04-01-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Because I merely found it amusing enough to make an offhand comment, but not effin' important enough to start a new effin' THREAD about it.
Apparently, however, it's important enough for vwhobo to be a COMPLETE dickhead about it.
I'm not askin' you to start a new 'effin' thread, mearly post in my already present one

Old 04-01-2004, 04:19 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Once again, vwhobo, you're getting pissy for no real reason, other than that's your first response to ANYTHING.

I merely found it amusing that this is the first response to anyone on here, in contrast to most other automotive forums. I wasn't saying you were wrong. But no, you have to go ahead and be a dick about it anyways.
No it's not. It's my first response to people who are rude enough to ask for help without first introducing themselves. Get your facts straight. By the way for someone who's accusing me of being "pissy", which is a very feminine sounding word if I ever heard one, why are you always the first one to call names. Looks to me like you're the one being "pissy".

Quote:
Ahhh, more false assertions and name calling. I always gave you credit for being intelligent and mature. Perhaps I was wrong.

Quote:
CORRECTION. While I was typing a previous response, ChrisV was in fact attempting to answer the original question. Please disregard that part of my earlier post.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:20 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I'm not askin' you to start a new 'effin' thread, mearly post in my already present one
Shhhh! Let's not confuse the argument with the facts.

Old 04-01-2004, 04:31 PM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
I fail to see how anybody could misinterpret the quoted post....aint the facts great

Old 04-02-2004, 03:43 AM   #15
deacon
CF Newbie

wow did not knowit was a big deal sorry for that.i am fro cali i am 22 located in SD jus got out the navy today and i got a new job working with northop grumman i have a g/f, no kids, not married. one brother, one sister. they live in indiana. there i think that cover most of it .

back to my question thanks for the info and the link. my friend and i the one helping were thinking of a stroker engine. what is the biggest eninge you can fit into a chevelle and a nova with out having to modify the body. jsut a a straight drop in?
deacon is offline   Reply With Quote