Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
Raynie_one
CF Newbie

1986 Chrysler New Yorker power problems

okay, I have a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker that I recently acquired, it is a 2.2L SOHC Turbo with an automatic transmission. It sat for a year without being started and I know that when they parked it they were having problems with the distributor cap and rotor so those both got replaced today along with a new coil, but the engine is still not starting, it turns over but there is no spark coming from the coil wire at all. I have no clue what to do, and I have gotten rather frustrated. I also did an oil change and changed all the filters and such, along with the spark plugs and plug wires also.. I just can't seem to figure out what is wrong now. HELP!!! lol mind you I am the only mechanically inclined person in my family and being a female at that, I don't get much respect when I try to talk to most mechanic in person about my problem. THey continually ask if the car has gas or if the battery is dead, which by the way is brand new also. So any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again
Raynie_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynie_one
okay, I have a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker that I recently acquired, it is a 2.2L SOHC Turbo with an automatic transmission. It sat for a year without being started and I know that when they parked it they were having problems with the distributor cap and rotor so those both got replaced today along with a new coil, but the engine is still not starting, it turns over but there is no spark coming from the coil wire at all. I have no clue what to do, and I have gotten rather frustrated. I also did an oil change and changed all the filters and such, along with the spark plugs and plug wires also.. I just can't seem to figure out what is wrong now. HELP!!! lol mind you I am the only mechanically inclined person in my family and being a female at that, I don't get much respect when I try to talk to most mechanic in person about my problem. THey continually ask if the car has gas or if the battery is dead, which by the way is brand new also. So any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
hmmm thats pretty freakin strange if i do say so myself, i too just aquired an 86 chrysler newyorker,2.2L turbo the guy popped one of the coolant hoses, then overheated it, then way overfilled it with oil because the seals in the turbo are puking oil into the exhaust, so first thing i would do if i were you is make sure you have good compression on all cylinders, this one has one bad hole at 50 psi and the rest are low at 100 psi so it looks like motor rebuild for this one, if compression test looks fine, check your fuel pressure, and make sure you have good spark to all plugs, the proper way would be to use an ignition scope but i would assume you dont have one of those handy. the 2.2L wasnt the greatest motor , and you have to treat em very well if you want the turbo to last, like being on time with your oil changes and NOT OVERHEATING THE DAMN THING! anyway i have a new boat anchor if you need to buy one. alright i just reread your post, if you arent getting spark from the coil there is a problem obviously, im an idiot, no need to point that out, how did you test for spark and what kind of connections to the coil do you have? wires colour and condition, with the key off and you might wanna disconnect the battery, take off the connections to the coil and clean them up make sure there is no corrsion.

Last edited by BanffAutoSpa_ap : 04-30-2006 at 06:17 PM.
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline   Reply With Quote