Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2006, 03:07 AM   #1
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

'89 Accord CD player

Anyone know if Honda makes a CD player or changer for an '89 Accord? Can't find anyhting with Google, and I'd like to keep my car as original as possible. Thanks in advance!

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
elchango36
WWJCD

I believe Honda didn't offer a CD player in the Accord untill the 4th gen (90-93).
Old 05-01-2006, 05:36 AM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

You could always get a Cassette to CD Adapter, it's removable, and interchangeable between cars, just plug one end into a headphone jack from a portable CD player, and put the tape in the deck

Old 05-01-2006, 05:38 AM   #4
elchango36
WWJCD

Or you could just get an aftermarket CD player

Last edited by elchango36 : 05-01-2006 at 05:41 AM.
elchango36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:40 AM   #5
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
Or just an aftermarket CD player
But he wants to keep his car as original as possible lol...IMO an aftermarket CD player would be better too though
Old 05-01-2006, 05:47 AM   #6
elchango36
WWJCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
But he wants to keep his car as original as possible lol...IMO an aftermarket CD player would be better too though
I understand that, but if he wants a quality sound+cd player capabilities, he should get an aftermarket HU.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:51 AM   #7
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
I understand that, but if he wants a quality sound+cd player capabilities, he should get an aftermarket HU.
So I guess it's all up to him then lol.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #8
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
You could always get a Cassette to CD Adapter, it's removable, and interchangeable between cars, just plug one end into a headphone jack from a portable CD player, and put the tape in the deck

Yeah...but you see...we don't exactly have a portable CD player, and I don't wanna spend money on one lol. The sound system in that car sounds pretty good (at least to me) when I listen to the radio, so maybe I'll just find a changer somewhere. Thanks for the help!

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
Old 05-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
Yeah...but you see...we don't exactly have a portable CD player, and I don't wanna spend money on one lol. The sound system in that car sounds pretty good (at least to me) when I listen to the radio, so maybe I'll just find a changer somewhere. Thanks for the help!
Let's just do the math on this one kids. Purchasing a used factory head unit for this car is going to cost $50-$100 (I just checked, you MIGHT get it cheaper on eBay). For that price you get a part that has had questionable treatment, essentially no warranty and is 17ish years old. You can buy a cheap new AM/FM/CD for under $50 theses days. I personally just purchased three Kenwood KDC-132s for some shop vehicles for $69 a piece.

Now I realize that that unit will not win a stereo competition anytime soon, but... I sounds a hell of a lot better than a factory radio and is brand new to boot. Unless for some reason you're doing a 100 point stock restoration on your car, it only makes sense to upgrade to something with a little newer technology.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #10
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Let's just do the math on this one kids. Purchasing a used factory head unit for this car is going to cost $50-$100 (I just checked, you MIGHT get it cheaper on eBay). For that price you get a part that has had questionable treatment, essentially no warranty and is 17ish years old. You can buy a cheap new AM/FM/CD for under $50 theses days. I personally just purchased three Kenwood KDC-132s for some shop vehicles for $69 a piece.

Now I realize that that unit will not win a stereo competition anytime soon, but... I sounds a hell of a lot better than a factory radio and is brand new to boot. Unless for some reason you're doing a 100 point stock restoration on your car, it only makes sense to upgrade to something with a little newer technology.
Well seeing as it's been estblished that there isn't a CD head unit availible, it doesn't really matter does it? I'd rather have a changer in the trunk and see my stock radio than something like this-

So I'll guess I'll just have to figure out if it's worth it.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
Old 06-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
lamboluver
CF Newbie

go on to crutchfield.com and they have a listing of all the parts for cars ... im sure they would have something that would work ... if not im sure you could get something installed that would work just fine ... and there is always the adapter
lamboluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:58 AM   #12
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

if your so concerned about keeping it very original why not just keep it stock... make abig fuss about a cd player, go get a portable cd player from walmart for 20 bucks and get the cd - tape converter for 10 bucks, then just hide the cd player lol
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote