Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
laurennerual17
CF Newbie

infiniti

since im new to this forum...just want to here some suggestion yall may have for a '97 infiniti i30...i already have some things in mind...but if u have nething better...let me know... (i might be doing a skyline engine swap for 3300 but havent decided yet because i really dont want to make my car all wheel drive or rear wheel drive....thats extra dough i dont have...)newho...lata
laurennerual17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:22 PM   #2
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

What skyline engine a RB25DET etc.....

Nothing like the full on GTR RB26DETT

Mitsubishi Mirage 1.6i 16V GLX - My New lil runner this year
Lukaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:30 PM   #3
laurennerual17
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukaz

http://www.starjdm.com/rb26.html

its the rb26
Old 07-22-2004, 04:32 PM   #4
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

Good stufff... sound like ya got good plans for this car.. Good luck

Old 07-22-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
laurennerual17
CF Newbie

Quote:
Good stufff... sound like ya got good plans for this car.. Good luck

ya im either going to kill my car or kill myself but either way...itll be ok (gotta be positive) right?...but that is if and only if i can come up with $3300 before someone else does...
Old 07-22-2004, 05:43 PM   #6
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:

the RB25 came in the early model R33 GT-R's just so u know.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 02:51 AM   #7
importluva
Obsessed with imports

fwd =
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 07:31 AM   #8
laurennerual17
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
fwd =

uhhhh....sure....if u say so :0)
Old 07-25-2004, 05:23 PM   #9
importluva
Obsessed with imports

I simply cannot understand why you would put an RB engine into your I30. Makes 0 sense to me.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:07 PM   #10
Lukaz
CF-Mitsucolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
the RB25 came in the early model R33 GT-R's just so u know.

Thanks for that matey . Personally i believe everyone has mixed oppinions about keeping a car stock or turning it into a monster. Its good to get others oppinions but at the end of the day its who who is gonna benefit from what you do so if in dought ask.. But at the end of the day if it makes you happy dropping a new engine into the hood then go for it

Old 07-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #11
laurennerual17
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
I simply cannot understand why you would put an RB engine into your I30. Makes 0 sense to me.

you ask why, i ask why not?...heres my logic so to speak....i have to get new valves n my car neways...that will cost $1100....its only $3300 for the skyline engine...might as well go all out since i need to buy a new one soon neways...
Old 07-26-2004, 05:46 PM   #12
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurennerual17
you ask why, i ask why not?...heres my logic so to speak....i have to get new valves n my car neways...that will cost $1100....its only $3300 for the skyline engine...might as well go all out since i need to buy a new one soon neways...

ok, i dont think u know how engine placement works. FWD cars need to have their engines mounted transversely, in other words, horizontally, or for those of you directionally challenged, one end facing to the left, and one end to the right. the RB engines power a car that is mainly RWD, although it has an AWD system (ATTESA E-TS), the front and rear wheels are joined by a set of special clutches instead of a differential, allowing the set up of the vertically mounted engine to be possible and very easy.

there are a few AWD cars with vertically mounted engines, but these are few and none actually come to mind atm, so i may be wrong about some AWD cars having this set up. anyhow, second of all, an RB engine is an Inline-6. just try to fit that thing transversely. ill give u my car for free if u manage to fit that thing in there and still have some handling abilities and have free space for all other extra components and without having to do A LOT of custom work to the engine bay. to make things worse, then u will need to figure out how to even get the transmission mounted in there, which u will never be able to. the closest u can get to this achievement is getting a VR6 engine or another V6. thats it.

also, $1,100 for new valves better be double titanium valves including labor and machine work, maybe with something extra.

Old 07-26-2004, 06:43 PM   #13
laurennerual17
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
ok, i dont think u know how engine placement works. FWD cars need to have their engines mounted transversely, in other words, horizontally, or for those of you directionally challenged, one end facing to the left, and one end to the right. the RB engines power a car that is mainly RWD, although it has an AWD system (ATTESA E-TS), the front and rear wheels are joined by a set of special clutches instead of a differential, allowing the set up of the vertically mounted engine to be possible and very easy.

there are a few AWD cars with vertically mounted engines, but these are few and none actually come to mind atm, so i may be wrong about some AWD cars having this set up. anyhow, second of all, an RB engine is an Inline-6. just try to fit that thing transversely. ill give u my car for free if u manage to fit that thing in there and still have some handling abilities and have free space for all other extra components and without having to do A LOT of custom work to the engine bay. to make things worse, then u will need to figure out how to even get the transmission mounted in there, which u will never be able to. the closest u can get to this achievement is getting a VR6 engine or another V6. thats it.

also, $1,100 for new valves better be double titanium valves including labor and machine work, maybe with something extra.

I actually just recently read an article on how to do this engine swap...and ive asked several peeps at our meets...here in la...its most def. possible...yesh u hafta make it awd or rwd but thats possible also...and yes there is plenty of room under my hood...ive looked into most of it except the nitty gritty ideas...(which yes those are imp) but i got the main view of where i wanna go...i was always told...if there is a will there is a way...and once i have my mind set on something...ill get it done some kinda way....
Old 07-26-2004, 07:10 PM   #14
Inygknok
El del Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurennerual17
I actually just recently read an article on how to do this engine swap...and ive asked several peeps at our meets...here in la...its most def. possible...yesh u hafta make it awd or rwd but thats possible also...and yes there is plenty of room under my hood...ive looked into most of it except the nitty gritty ideas...(which yes those are imp) but i got the main view of where i wanna go...i was always told...if there is a will there is a way...and once i have my mind set on something...ill get it done some kinda way....

there is plenty of room if u make it RWD or AWD, but u did first say u didnt want to make it RWD or AWD. making it AWD would be even more expensive. of course any engine can be fitted if u change the drivetrain of the whole vehicle, thats logical, but its not possible without this extremely expensive modification. you would be so much better off buying some other car, like a 240sx, and doing an RB swap into it.