Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2005, 01:34 AM   #1
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Is GM going bankrupt?

My friends dad owns a GM dealership. From what my friend told me they just claimed a 2 billion dollar loss last year because of all the retiree's sucking money out of it. GM is a huge company with many cars, but I am wondering if anyone else has heard of anything. Personally my friend said if the government doesn't step in sometime they will go bankrupt and the stock market will crash. I'm not sure what to believe but I know my friend's dad owns a dealership and isn't lieing. Just wondering what others have heard as of lately.

"It is not the strong who will win, but the winner who is strong." -ROTK7
"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Pythias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:43 AM   #2
Oomba
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythias
My friends dad owns a GM dealership. From what my friend told me they just claimed a 2 billion dollar loss last year because of all the retiree's sucking money out of it. GM is a huge company with many cars, but I am wondering if anyone else has heard of anything. Personally my friend said if the government doesn't step in sometime they will go bankrupt and the stock market will crash. I'm not sure what to believe but I know my friend's dad owns a dealership and isn't lieing. Just wondering what others have heard as of lately.

Its the retirees and the greedy current workers wanting more expensive health benefits. Not too mention they dont know how to manage their brands very well and have flooded the now steadily declining SUV market. They have all this supply and not enough demand.

The stock market wont crash if they do go bankrupt. They are just one company out of many.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 01:47 AM   #3
GonnaDie4TheGov
CF's Only Jersey Boy

There is no way the market will crash over a car company.

2001 Honda K-1 Accord Attack
GonnaDie4TheGov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:41 AM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:

GM sales have been lackluster for a while (why do you tihnk they have been doing that employee discount for how long now? half a year?). GM needs to wisen the hell up, they produce virtually the same identical vehicles in several different brands.

Here's my plan for GM to to revive itself...

-Sell the Chevrolet Uplander/Pontiac SV6/Buick Terraza/Saturn Relay in one damn brand name. We dont need 4 of the same van in different brands. Then redesign it to make it a van people would actually buy over a Sienna or Odyssey.

Chevrolet
-Build more cars like the HHR and new Corvette, cars that will REALLY sell.

-Scrap the Chevrolet SSR, Malibu MAXX and the Aveo.

-Want the new Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS to really sell? Make 'em RWD (might lose cost but vastly increase interest in the brand).

-Redesign the interiors to be a little less cheap in everything.

-Give the Malibu, Equinox and Colorado better engines.

-Go turbo with the next Cobalt SS.

Pontiac
-The G6 and Torrent will be a flop in a year, scrap it while you can.

-The Solstice is gods answer for saving Pontiac. Good job there.

-Make the GTO less boring on the outside, differentiate more from the Holden model.

-The Vibe was a good idea. Toyota engines last forever.

-Grand Prix still needs a makeover if you want to compete better.

GMC
-Serves no purpose, scrap the brand.

Buick
-Move what vehicles you can to the Pontiac line and redesign them. Then scrap the brand.

-In the move just dump the Rendezvous/Terraza/Lacrosse and Lesabre. Keep the Rainier and Lucerne.

Cadillac
-Why bother with the new DTS?

-SRX sales arent as good as they used to be, amp it up.

-STS is good, build the CTS better like it.

-XLR wasn't such a hot idea, people will just buy the Corvette.

Saturn
-Ion isnt living up to expectations, redesign it.
-L300 needs a redesign badly.
-Vue could use a makeover, keep the Honda 3.5L in it though, dont put in the new GM 3.9L.
-Relay, scrap.
-Go turbo with the next Ion Redline.
-Sky, thank you Saturn for making a vehicle I'd even buy.

Hummer
-For some reason there is always a deman for H2's, the H3 was a good idea for people who cant afford the H2.

Saab
-Saab has been in a world of hurt, redesign everything and improve the quality.

Isuzu
-Scrap the brand.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:42 AM   #5
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Just to add, the stock market wont crash because 1 of the 500 Fortune 500 companies went down. They have 499 others to fall back on

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-21-2005, 02:48 AM   #6
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

[quote=thunderbird1100]GM sales have been lackluster for a while (why do you tihnk they have been doing that employee discount for how long now? half a year?). GM needs to wisen the hell up, they produce virtually the same identical vehicles in several different brands.

I was just telling you what he thought would happen to the stockmarket if this did happen. Also they have had the employ discount becuase of sales yes but I believe the small more gas efficient cars that honda and others make is almost just as much to blame for the bad sales of GM as anything else, maybe I'm wrong but it's simply my opinion I have summed up after looking at everything I know.

"You wrote "The World Doesn't Need A Savior" but everyday I hear people crying for one."
Old 09-21-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
Oomba
Banned

I have to agree with you on the Solstice and Sky, amazing cars.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 04:10 AM   #8
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

[quote=Pythias]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
GM sales have been lackluster for a while (why do you tihnk they have been doing that employee discount for how long now? half a year?). GM needs to wisen the hell up, they produce virtually the same identical vehicles in several different brands.

I was just telling you what he thought would happen to the stockmarket if this did happen. Also they have had the employ discount becuase of sales yes but I believe the small more gas efficient cars that honda and others make is almost just as much to blame for the bad sales of GM as anything else, maybe I'm wrong but it's simply my opinion I have summed up after looking at everything I know.

I think it's more of GM selling the same thing in different brands and expanding that in the past years. That's what has finall;y caught up to them. Honda and Toyota have been around for 2 decades really hurting GM sales, GM did this to themselves more than Honda or Toyota did. But yes, the superior vehicles Honda/Acura has to offer over GM certainly doesnt help GM sales.

~Blow your mind~

Old 09-21-2005, 04:50 AM   #9
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

[quote=thunderbird1100]
Quote:

I think it's more of GM selling the same thing in different brands and expanding that in the past years. That's what has finall;y caught up to them. Honda and Toyota have been around for 2 decades really hurting GM sales, GM did this to themselves more than Honda or Toyota did. But yes, the superior vehicles Honda/Acura has to offer over GM certainly doesnt help GM sales.

I agree 100% so many of their cars look so alike (Chevy) the grand am grand prix G6 and the GTO even, or at least the 05' all looked to be almost the same outer shells. Not only that but it seems as if they have been lacking in the redesigning department. Lets take Ford for example and the Mustang restyling. I'll jsut start with 1987-1993 1994-1998 2000-2004 2005- those are the years I believe of their restyling and the Mustang has done pretty well. They had the Camaro the same style for 10 years? no wonder they had to stop it and wait to redesign it. All I want to knwo is why they didn't redesign it sooner instead they discontinued it for 3 years or so then come out with a new design. Seems pretty dumb to me. Cars get bland and look old after awhile. As for the grand prix's and grand am's I think they look horrible but tis' only my opinion. I think a big thing is them not restyling/redesigning their cars enough.

Edit: I just looked up the Sky, looks sweet but I LOVE Dual exhaust and in my opinion almost any car looks better with it, even if it doesn't serve a great purpose.

Last edited by Pythias : 09-21-2005 at 04:52 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:10 AM   #10
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Well Chevrolet/GM arent the only ones making 'copy' cars or 'look alikes' to another model they already have, look at Chrysler lately, they have the Sebring, 300C, Charger.. and they all look kinda similar (especially from the back).

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:16 AM   #11
Pythias
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
Well Chevrolet/GM arent the only ones making 'copy' cars or 'look alikes' to another model they already have, look at Chrysler lately, they have the Sebring, 300C, Charger.. and they all look kinda similar (especially from the back).

Your right but the grand prix and grand am are almost identical as for the G6 I don't know, but in my opinion the grand prix grand am G6 and gto look more alike.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:11 AM   #12
Wally
I Know More Than You

http://www.newscoast.com/apps/pbcs.d...3110758/-1/API
Old 09-21-2005, 07:15 AM   #13
elchango36
WWJCD

What makes me mad is how GM sells the same car with three different badges. Anyone remember the BLAZER/JIMMY/BRAVADA of the 90's??? They were essentially the same damn thing with a different badge, grille, maybe headlights, and thats it. Today, its the Trailblazer/Envoy/Rendezvous. Why not make one truck with different trim levels instead of 3 with the same trim levels?
Old 09-21-2005, 01:20 PM   #14
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbird1100
.....GMC
-Serves no purpose, scrap the brand....
Maybe not in the consumer market but it does serve a purpose in the commercial market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
.....Why not make one truck with different trim levels instead of 3 with the same trim levels?
It will probably come to that.

Back in the days, the strategy was to offer similar vehicles under different brands to attract different buyers. This allowed the OEMs to save costs by making many of the same body style. Then by changing out the interior, font end, and rear end they would have a car that appealed to different buyers.

In today's market, people are looking for more individualized vehicles. Thus the OEMs have to switch from mass production to flexible assembly lines that make cars as the customer wants them. This is not as easy as one may think.

I read recently that GM will be paring down it's car lines. They are going to be narrowing the scope of each brand so that it appeals to certain demographics more so than they do now. They are talking about not sharing the same body style between brands. Example, if Chevy has the Trailblazer, no other brand will have that body style. It could also mean that Chevy may not have a full sized pickup truck anymore because that may go over to GMC. Of course this is all talk right now. If I find the article, I will post the link.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our dairy air.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #15
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:

If the gas efficient cars from Honda and others are hurting them that much, maybe they need to take a queue from them and build similar cars... At least thats what I would do if I was in charge.