Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2006, 04:40 PM   #1
dkim12
CF Newbie

Dealer trying to screw me after just after one week of driving the car??

I just bought an AUDI A4 for my brother last week. The msrp on the car was $39,600. I bought the car from a new jersey dealer, but I told them i was going to register the car in Maryland. They said fine. We worked out the lease numbers, signed and done. I wanted the tax built into the payment and the numbers worked.

I get a call from the finance manager saying Maryland charges tax on the entire value of the car, so i owe $1010 in order to register the car!

I feel like it is something the dealer should have known or looked into, and, frankly, i dont want to pay anymore for an already overpriced audi. Does the dealer have any responsibility or do need to pay the extra grand? if i knew this was going to happen, i would never have bought the car. The payments are pushing $500 per month if i put the tax in the payment. Can i break the lease and say it was their mistake???

please help, i have to let them know what i decide by saturday.
dkim12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Sounds like you got scewed over by a dealership...all too common. Did you buy the car from a dealership your brother owns or what?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #3
dkim12
CF Newbie

i'm leasing the car. i wanted the payment to include everything including tax so there would be little out-of-pocket at drive out. isnt it the dealer's mistake then? isnt a lease a contract saying my payments are a certain amount per month? how can they go and change that now?

thanks
Old 05-11-2006, 04:59 PM   #4
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

If you both signed a piece of paper saying this is how much you're gonna pay per month, and there's no fine print, then I'm pretty sure they can't change it. If there is fine print, then it depends on what the fine print says.

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
Old 05-11-2006, 05:20 PM   #5
dkim12
CF Newbie

i thought so too. it should be on them to know what the taxes are. And i signed a contract saying how much the payments should be. Thanks

Any others with some advice?
Old 05-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkim12
i thought so too. it should be on them to know what the taxes are. And i signed a contract saying how much the payments should be. Thanks

Any others with some advice?
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but... When you purchase or lease a car from a stealership, they produce a document known as a sales contract. On that contract, all of the charges are itemized. Example;

Car ********** $20,000
Prep *********** $100
Doc fees ******** $200
Sub-Total ***** $20,300
Trade ******** -$5,000
$$$ Down ***** -$5,000

Total Amount Finaced $10,300

Then your payments are determined based on the bottom line number, interest rate and number of months. Of course on a lease, the residual value is also figured in there. Be that as it may, what you have done is sign a binding contract to purchase or lease a car. Because you chose to make the transaction out of state, and I'll bet on a weekend, the onus to ensure that you understand all of the ramifications of doing so, including extra fees or taxes, is on you.

Expecting a stealership in Jersey to know about all the taxes and fees in Maryland just because they sell cars is absurd. I'm sure you pay income tax where you live, but why would you be expected to understand the tax code where I live? It's the same concept.

So... If you truly think you've been wronged, you need to go see a lawyer. If you have the money to buy your brother a $40k car, you can certainly afford a shark. On the other hand, when someone comes to a forum looking for advice on a subject like this, I seriously wonder if they're for real or just leading up to an advertisement or are looking for attention.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:16 PM   #7
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

Quote:
I just bought an AUDI A4 for my brother last week.
Whoops, I thought it said from...

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
Old 05-11-2006, 06:21 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Something I forgot to say in my previous post, especially important because it was the point I was trying to make. Anything that is not included on the itemized list is not part of the price. If it's not part of the price, it will not be financed. Get out the contract and look at it. If it doesn't have a line that states something to the effect of "Maryland sales tax" , you got what you paid for... Nothing.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 05-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #9
dkim12
CF Newbie

Thumbs up

First of all, having the money to lease a car doesnt mean i stupid enough to pay sticker price for a car. Having the money has nothing to do with dishing out another $1000 for the MD tax. I dont have the contract in front of me, it's in the glove box of the car but I will see what they did itemize on the contract.

The car also was not bought over the weekend...and it took more than a week to get delivery. It took 3 days to get approval from audi financial, so it wasnt a drive-off at 6pm on a saturday.

The dealer also asked me what the tax was in MD (5%) which is lower than Jersey's 6%. Because i have the tax built into the payments, my total was $450/month on a fully loaded A4. I dont expect the dumbass dealers to know anything about taxes in other states. But i do expect them to do a little due diligence. Also Audi financial was fully aware that the car was going to be titled in MD.

The only reason i come looking on a forum for advice, is because i'm hoping someone has had a similar problem or knows a little about contract law. And it's cheaper than paying for legal advice or simply agreeing with the dealer and paying the money. OH, and please visit [url].................] for a free quote on a life insurance and to see sexy girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but... When you purchase or lease a car from a stealership, they produce a document known as a sales contract. On that contract, all of the charges are itemized. Example;

Car ********** $20,000
Prep *********** $100
Doc fees ******** $200
Sub-Total ***** $20,300
Trade ******** -$5,000
$$$ Down ***** -$5,000

Total Amount Finaced $10,300

Then your payments are determined based on the bottom line number, interest rate and number of months. Of course on a lease, the residual value is also figured in there. Be that as it may, what you have done is sign a binding contract to purchase or lease a car. Because you chose to make the transaction out of state, and I'll bet on a weekend, the onus to ensure that you understand all of the ramifications of doing so, including extra fees or taxes, is on you.

Expecting a stealership in Jersey to know about all the taxes and fees in Maryland just because they sell cars is absurd. I'm sure you pay income tax where you live, but why would you be expected to understand the tax code where I live? It's the same concept.

So... If you truly think you've been wronged, you need to go see a lawyer. If you have the money to buy your brother a $40k car, you can certainly afford a shark. On the other hand, when someone comes to a forum looking for advice on a subject like this, I seriously wonder if they're for real or just leading up to an advertisement or are looking for attention.

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 05-12-2006 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #10
dkim12
CF Newbie

anyone here have any real advice?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
anyone here have any real advice?
Are you really that stupid? That's a rhetorical question because you've already answered it. I buy and sell more cars in a month than many people do in a lifetime, both new and used. I answered your question, now just because I didn't tell you what you wanted to hear, don't get your panties in a wad. Bottom line is if you signed the contract, it's binding unless you can prove that you signed it with a gun to your head. Don't come here and whine because you're too stupid to read a contract before signing.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #12
dkim12
CF Newbie

real advice as in can i get out of the contract? what should i say to the dealer? Are they responsible in any way? Adding $1000 to the deal changes the payments by around $30...$30 bucks more than i want to pay. For $500 a month i coulda leased a bmw or benz.

I dont need some 16year old kid (pretending to sell cars) giving me advice or saying i'm doing this to get attention. That's something a kid would do. If you dont like the post, stay away...there are plenty of other posts you can give your simple comments on.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:41 PM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
real advice as in can i get out of the contract? what should i say to the dealer? Are they responsible in any way? Adding $1000 to the deal changes the payments by around $30...$30 bucks more than i want to pay. For $500 a month i coulda leased a bmw or benz.

I dont need some 16year old kid (pretending to sell cars) giving me advice or saying i'm doing this to get attention. That's something a kid would do. If you dont like the post, stay away...there are plenty of other posts you can give your simple comments on.
Hmmm, strange isn't it. Before you were listening to a 17 year old kid because he told you what you wanted to hear but then when I try to help, and I do have the knowledge and experience to help, you get all sh*tty with me. Well here's the deal now. I don't give a f*ck about you, your brother, the car or your problem. I hope they find a way to jam it up your ass for $1k a month. If you have anything further you care to say to me, I suggest you visit [url]........... and tell them your problems.

How do you like that assclown?

Last edited by tbaxleyjr : 05-11-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
dkim12
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Hmmm, strange isn't it. Before you were listening to a 17 year old kid because he told you what you wanted to hear but then when I try to help, and I do have the knowledge and experience to help, you get all sh*tty with me. Well here's the deal now. I don't give a f*ck about you, your brother, the car or your problem. I hope they find a way to jam it up your ass for $1k a month. If you have anything further you care to say to me, I suggest you visit www.youranass.fu and tell them your problems.

How do you like that assclown?

no, the previous guy told me what he thought, didnt accuse me of lying about the deal to get attention or advertise something. See the difference?

Anal Orifice, i will be sure to let you know what happens when i go see them saturday. Make sure your PM box isnt full!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #15
dkim12
CF Newbie

thanks i'll look into hiring a lawyer