Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
fxbill
CF Newbie

2005 Ford Focus A/C Charging Ports

Hi,
Can anyone tell me where the connections are for air conditioning charging on a 2005 Ford Focus? I have looked and looked and the only place I see where they might be located is underneath the inner fender well where the dryer seems to be mounted. This seems like a really unlikely spot for them, but I can find anything else. I thought I'd ask before removing the plastic inner well.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Regards,
Bill
fxbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:07 AM   #2
bigfrye
CF Newbie

Look

I know on the older focus's it is usually easiest to take out the headlight and do it or to lift it...yes its under it.
bigfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

shouldn't it be under warranty?

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 04:57 PM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
shouldn't it be under warranty?
Why would Ford re-charge AC systems under warenty?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:03 PM   #5
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Because its Ford lol
Old 05-14-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
dodger65

Quote:

b/c it's an '05. unless it only has a 12/12,000 warranty.... it shouldn't leak yet...

Old 05-15-2006, 08:03 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
b/c it's an '05. unless it only has a 12/12,000 warranty.... it shouldn't leak yet...
Who said anything about a leaking system? just because it's an '05 model doesn't mean it's not gonna empty, Ideally it shouldn't be empty yet, but we dont know how much it's being used! (lack of info on fxbill's part....)

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
i didn't think you could "USE" refrigerant, it usually only empties if there is a leak, and most leaks seem to be from rocks in the condenser from what ive seen or o-ring connections.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:23 AM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
i didn't think you could "USE" refrigerant, it usually only empties if there is a leak, and most leaks seem to be from rocks in the condenser from what ive seen or o-ring connections.
I dont know if 'use' was the right terminology, but it certainly needs recharging from time to time.....otherwise garages with the equipment to do such work wouldn't make much money from it as I'm sure not all cars with AC will leak...

Old 05-15-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
dodger65

Quote:
I dont know if 'use' was the right terminology, but it certainly needs recharging from time to time.....otherwise garages with the equipment to do such work wouldn't make much money from it as I'm sure not all cars with AC will leak...

but most do... the refrigerant in a/c systems is not considered consumable at all... how many times have you had to get your refrigerator recharged....

Old 05-15-2006, 01:25 PM   #11
fxbill
CF Newbie

Hi,
I live in So Cal and use it frequently. I purchased the car used, but with less than 5,000 miles on it and yes, it is covered by waranty. Since it uses 134A though I thought I'd top it off with a can to avoid the hassle of having to schedule an appointment, deliver the car, get a ride, etc., etc.
The charge in the system theoretically should never leak out and never have to be recharged, but rubber hoses, O-rings and such will eventually begin to fail and at that point the charging or replacement of parts becomes necessary. A refrigerator is hard plumbed with metal tubing and soldered shut. Short of breaking a tube it will never leak out.
I found the charging port by accident last night. It is located to the right of the radiator facing the car and comes up through a small hole and is capped with a black plastic cap......quite well hidden if I might add. It is also propietary to new Fords. A standard 134 snap on connector will not fit it....it is a bit too small, so Ford once again has forced you to come to them for servicing. I have to go in anyway!
My 427 Cobra is much easier to work on!!!
PS... Just out of curiosity, why would how much I use it have anything to do with simply asking where the port is? I saw no need for including those details for an answer. I wasn't asking for a diagnosis.....simply a location.
Thanks though guys.... I do appreciate the efforts.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:04 AM   #12
fxbill
CF Newbie

Well..... I took the car in today to let Ford deal with it. It took them 8 hrs and they replaced a faulty compressor, the dryer, one line, a handfull of "O" rings, recharged the system and washed and vac'd my car. Total parts and labor $723.87.... my cost...$0. One of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had with car servicing. I must say.... I was quite impressed with Galpin Ford.

Last edited by fxbill : 05-16-2006 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:00 AM   #13
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Oh yeah, my 'fridge needs recharging too.

Why doesn't hobo ever say anything about the shit YOU spew around here?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:50 AM   #14
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
Oh yeah, my 'fridge needs recharging too.

Why doesn't hobo ever say anything about the shit YOU spew around here?
But I wasn't actually wrong, A/C systems do need recharging from time to time. Ok, on a 2005 car you'd have to do some miles to need a recharge this soon, but that's not the ponit, the point is, A/C does require charging. Tell ya what, just do a simple search online and I'm sure even an idiot like you can find the relevent info. I did actually check myself to make sure I was correct in what I was saying, and can confirm this is the case. If you find anything that controdicts this, please feel free to post it. Also, I think you'll find that hobo is the first to pull me up on any errors I make, and I'm the first to admit to those errors...unlike some around here!