Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
vital1
CF Newbie

1993 Chrylser Leabron. HELP!

Working on a '93 Lebaron GTC, v6 3.0. Car is idling at 500 and lower rpm. stalls out when coming to a stop. Someone told me clean the throttle body, did that, not working, rear fuel filter and fuel pump only a year old. Originally thought gas issue, but there is plenty of gas getting to the engine...runs fine when constantly accelerating...any ideas?...maybe the catalytic converter? Going to replace it...but any other ideas? please help!
vital1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Umm, how bout not replacing shit you don't need to replace, you don't know that the cat is bad so you would just be wasting money. It could be the idle speed that needs to be changed, thats just a simple turn of a screw in most cases
Old 05-14-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
vital1
CF Newbie

thanks, I'll give it a shot...just concerned because it just starting doing this, this past week, after four years of use. Miles are around 146000 also, if that means anything to anybody. hmmm...i'm from the largo, clearwater area
Old 05-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vital1
thanks, I'll give it a shot...just concerned because it just starting doing this, this past week, after four years of use. Miles are around 146000 also, if that means anything to anybody. hmmm...i'm from the largo, clearwater area
Nice, where in Largo (Larghetto)?
Old 05-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
vital1
CF Newbie

not the idle adjustment...however i read something about the idle air circuit and the air control motor. supposedly if it's dirty or bad, the cars stalls on stops, corners, and at traffic lights (as does mine)... and the only light that goes on is the check gauges...not the check engine. same here. Think that this could be the problem? Advice from anyone would be appreciated.

Largo- um...i'd have to check, I was younger when living there

Last edited by vital1 : 05-14-2006 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99integra
Umm, how bout not replacing shit you don't need to replace, you don't know that the cat is bad so you would just be wasting money. It could be the idle speed that needs to be changed, thats just a simple turn of a screw in most cases
How about instead of being a smart ass little 15 year old know it all, you tell this person why what you just said is wrong and then promise to shut up.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
How about instead of being a smart ass little 15 year old know it all, you tell this person why what you just said is wrong and then promise to shut up.
Lol how sweet, I didn't read the whole post so there is my wrong doing, and I made an assumption
Old 05-14-2006, 09:51 PM   #8
99integra
CF's Florida boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
I'll be nice but let us explain a couple of things

I suspect there is no idle speed adjustment screw since the idle speed adjustment on this car is ECM driven.

Typical inputs include throttle position sensor, engine speed sensor (distributor pick-up coil), coolant temperature sensor, and various switch operations (brake, park/neutral, air conditioning). Deceleration die-out is also prevented by increasing airflow when the throttle is closed quickly after a driving (speed) condition. Air flow (measured in this case by a Manifold Air Pressure sensor and an Air Temperature Sensor) and O2 sensor feedback allow the ECM to control fuel mixture

Why I asked for the touble codes or verify a lack thereof is to confirm these inputs are functioning as they should (especially the distributor pick-up coil or pick-up plate since this is a common issue with Chrysler and other distributors used in the 1980's and 1990's before the common use of D.I.S. systems).

Where we go from here depends on if this person comes back with trouble codes indicating he/she is willing to help themselves and do the diagnostic homework
Ahh damn now I see, sorry about my little uneducated guess there guys
Old 05-14-2006, 10:35 PM   #9
vital1
CF Newbie

well thanks for the help everyone...looks like i got some diagnostic work to do and find a couple things out...I'll get back to you all once i get it figured out.