Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2006, 10:26 AM   #1
RavenStar
CF Newbie

Window motor & Break pressure?

Well one of my back electric windows is dead, it doesnt go up or down using the buttons. Im assuming the motor is dead so i got a quote on getting it fixed and they said it would cost around $200 for the part, which i think is total crap.
Anyway i was wondering if i bought the motor, how hard is it to replace? Also are electric window motors universal or would i have to buy one for my model(toyota corona 1990)?

Just another little question, is it possible for me to change the break(or accelerator) peddel so they are easier/harder to press? A machenic once did it to my break but i want to do it to my accelerator too, just a little bit.

~thanks.
RavenStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenStar
Well one of my back electric windows is dead, it doesnt go up or down using the buttons. Im assuming the motor is dead so i got a quote on getting it fixed and they said it would cost around $200 for the part, which i think is total crap.
Anyway i was wondering if i bought the motor, how hard is it to replace? Also are electric window motors universal or would i have to buy one for my model(toyota corona 1990)?

Just another little question, is it possible for me to change the break(or accelerator) peddel so they are easier/harder to press? A machenic once did it to my break but i want to do it to my accelerator too, just a little bit.

~thanks.
look up the specs on your window motor, then replace the part with something similar, not necessarily from the same car. bear in mind though that there are other reasons it may have stopped.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #3
RB Trucking
CF Newbie

Thats right it may not even be the motor a wire could have come lose. Before it died was it moving really sluggish? If so then it probably is the motor but if it was running at normal speed before the horrid death it might be the switch, loose wire, or something else.
RB Trucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
RavenStar
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB Trucking
Thats right it may not even be the motor a wire could have come lose. Before it died was it moving really sluggish? If so then it probably is the motor but if it was running at normal speed before the horrid death it might be the switch, loose wire, or something else.

Thanks you two, awesome help! Yea i did guess there couldve been other reasons but im thinking if it was a lose wire it would work sometimes, where as it just doesnt work at all. Ive had the car for about 6 months now and its been like that since ive had it so it has to be the motor. Another window is getting a little sluggish, so i did kind of guess that was on its way out too.

First thing im going to do is get to the motor. How exactly do i go about taking that interior skin on the doors off? Im guessing, after you take out all those screw hole plugs and remove all the screw it would just be held there by clips? - so pull it off? Is there anything i need to be careful of too, since they are electric windows and obviously have wires in the doors...?

Thanks guys for your help~!

Toyota Corona 1990
Windows: Factory Tint & All Electric
Colour: White
Transmission: Automatic
Top Speed Done: 170 km/h
km's: 140,***
Misc: Central locking

Mitsubishi Lancer 1999
Windows: Silver Tint & All Electric
Colour: Fades White to Black
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
km's: 61,***
Misc: Central locking & Garret T25 Turbo

Old 05-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #5
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Thanks you two, awesome help! Yea i did guess there couldve been other reasons but im thinking if it was a lose wire it would work sometimes, where as it just doesnt work at all. Ive had the car for about 6 months now and its been like that since ive had it so it has to be the motor. Another window is getting a little sluggish, so i did kind of guess that was on its way out too.

First thing im going to do is get to the motor. How exactly do i go about taking that interior skin on the doors off? Im guessing, after you take out all those screw hole plugs and remove all the screw it would just be held there by clips? - so pull it off? Is there anything i need to be careful of too, since they are electric windows and obviously have wires in the doors...?

Thanks guys for your help~!
nup, the wires are all sheathed and stuff.

don't know that car particularly, but usually just prise the clips.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:08 PM   #6
RavenStar
CF Newbie

Ok so ive had a quick look at both the driver and passanger side doors, im still a little confused as to how to get the skin off. I tried looking on google to find a picture to show you those that dont know what it looks like on a Corona 1990 but couldnt find any, ill try to take some pics myself shortly.

Well i guess you could say its pretty much similar to most cars (duh), but i dont see many(if any) screws exposed or any little plugs that cover the screws (like in a corolla).

Anyone know what im talking about?

Toyota Corona 1990

Mitsubishi Lancer 1999
Misc: Central locking & Garret T25 Turbo

Old 05-14-2006, 11:44 PM   #7
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Ok so ive had a quick look at both the driver and passanger side doors, im still a little confused as to how to get the skin off. I tried looking on google to find a picture to show you those that dont know what it looks like on a Corona 1990 but couldnt find any, ill try to take some pics myself shortly.

Well i guess you could say its pretty much similar to most cars (duh), but i dont see many(if any) screws exposed or any little plugs that cover the screws (like in a corolla).

Anyone know what im talking about?
start prising it off... you should be able to tell where it's being held on. this should point you in the direction of the screws.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #8
RavenStar
CF Newbie

Ok well i got into the other day and i got pretty car, i got everything off except the very top, which i dont believe is held in place by clips.
In the Corona 1990 at the top of the doors(bottom of window frame - if that makes sense) is a bit of a cushion padding thing, this was the only thing i could not get off. I tried pulling it and lifting it but it wouldnt move, so im kind of thinking there is perhapes a screw or two more, but i cant seem to find them.

In a corolla it comes straight off, but it doesnt have this cushion thing at the top of the door, where the button and that is.

Any ideas?

Also, how would i go about making the break peddle harder or easier to push? I had a macahnic come to my house and he did it but i wasnt watching so i got no idea how he did it.
I got a car that needs it a little tigher/harder to push.
Someone mentioned it has something to do with the break pads?

Toyota Corona 1990

Mitsubishi Lancer 1999