Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
colin
CF Newbie

vauxhall corsa...Rip off ?

Hi everyone,
Yesterday I took my corsa into dealer after receiving a letter from them saying all corsa cars of that model were being recalled as the engine wiring harness was not manufactured to specification. Driving home after they had done the work to modify the problem I noticed the emission light was on.
Returning to them and pointing out this problem they said it was nothing to do with the work they had just carried out _ it was just coincidence. Seems odd to me as it was perfectley alright before. Would be grateful for someone else's opinion. Thanks colin
colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:33 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin
Hi everyone,
Yesterday I took my corsa into dealer after receiving a letter from them saying all corsa cars of that model were being recalled as the engine wiring harness was not manufactured to specification. Driving home after they had done the work to modify the problem I noticed the emission light was on.
Returning to them and pointing out this problem they said it was nothing to do with the work they had just carried out _ it was just coincidence. Seems odd to me as it was perfectley alright before. Would be grateful for someone else's opinion. Thanks colin
Certainly sounds a bit too coincidental to me lol. Having said that though, you might be going round in circles here, in proving it was them!....Can ya not see if they'll fix it as a good will gesture? How old is the car? maybe they'll fix it under warenty if engine management issues are covered? By the way, I assume by 'emmision light' you mean 'Engine management light'? (the little yellow/amber light that resembles an engine in it's shape!)

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
colin
CF Newbie

corsa

Cliffy,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.
Looking in the hand book the light I have coming on corresponds with the icon "emission light", that is what I am going on.I suppose it does look like a picture of an engine.Also when I start the car from cold in the morning it is now cutting out-which it has also never done before.
It is an '04 reg. which I bought from this dealer a year ago. In fact it will be a year Friday week(26th May 2006).I am assuming it has a years warrenty as I only have a sales slip but it doesn't mention anything about it on there.
But we all know about guarantees and warrenty's, don't we ? Whatever goes wrong they always seem to say that we are not covered for that particular problem!
Anyway the car is booked in next Tuesday the 17th to be looked at.I will let you know how I get on.
Wish me luck and thanks for listening. Colin
Old 05-18-2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Cliffy,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.
Looking in the hand book the light I have coming on corresponds with the icon "emission light", that is what I am going on.I suppose it does look like a picture of an engine.Also when I start the car from cold in the morning it is now cutting out-which it has also never done before.
It is an '04 reg. which I bought from this dealer a year ago. In fact it will be a year Friday week(26th May 2006).I am assuming it has a years warrenty as I only have a sales slip but it doesn't mention anything about it on there.
But we all know about guarantees and warrenty's, don't we ? Whatever goes wrong they always seem to say that we are not covered for that particular problem!
Anyway the car is booked in next Tuesday the 17th to be looked at.I will let you know how I get on.
Wish me luck and thanks for listening. Colin
No probs. If ya bought it from a Vauxhall dealer, chances are you'll have a warenty, however, it's strange not to have any paperword for it! Warenties usually cover all mechanical failures (ie; your problem...possibly, electrical faults with lights etc) but exclude wear/tear items (ie; brake wear, clutch wear etc).

Good Luck!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 05-23-2006, 06:58 PM   #5
colin
CF Newbie

Smile Alls well that ends well !

Hi,
Took the car back this morning (23rd..not 17th).It turned out to be a loose wire.They confirmed it was under warrenty.
Am I being cynical in thinking that had it not been under warrenty it would have been a much bigger problem.?
Oh dear what is the matter with me, I really must stop thinking such thoughts!!
That's it folks, end of story. Thanks Cliffy for taking the time to reply when I was getting het up about things. Just getting someone to agree with your own line of thinking when you feel you are up against a brick wall definitely helps. Thanks
Old 05-24-2006, 05:21 AM   #6
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Hi,
Took the car back this morning (23rd..not 17th).It turned out to be a loose wire.They confirmed it was under warrenty.
Am I being cynical in thinking that had it not been under warrenty it would have been a much bigger problem.?
Oh dear what is the matter with me, I really must stop thinking such thoughts!!
That's it folks, end of story. Thanks Cliffy for taking the time to reply when I was getting het up about things. Just getting someone to agree with your own line of thinking when you feel you are up against a brick wall definitely helps. Thanks
No probs, thanx for taking the time to come back and let us know the outcome! As for it being a much larger problem if it wasn't under warrenty...It much depends on the Garage to be honest, however, main dealers are usually amonst the most trusted of Garages!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
Are there mandatory emmissions warranties in the UK like we have here in the US?
Not tyhat I'm aware of, but I'm some what inexperienced as far as warrenties go....I tend only to have knowledge in the basics of them!

Old 05-24-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Seems odd to me as it was perfectley alright before.

As an FYI, this is a viewpoint I've seen many, many times. But there's a problem with it...

Everything that breaks was "perfectly alright" before. No matter WHEN an indicator light comes on, it wan't on before that.

Since anything can break on a car, and there is no set schedule for things going bad, multiple things can happen at the same times, at different times, with a short, long, or even nonexistent interval between them, and in any order. That's what makes it so hard to be a shop owner. You can fix a car and as that car leaves the shop, anything else can indeed fail, and have no connection to your repair other than time.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 04:56 AM   #8
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
As an FYI, this is a viewpoint I've seen many, many times. But there's a problem with it...

Everything that breaks was "perfectly alright" before. No matter WHEN an indicator light comes on, it wan't on before that.

Since anything can break on a car, and there is no set schedule for things going bad, multiple things can happen at the same times, at different times, with a short, long, or even nonexistent interval between them, and in any order. That's what makes it so hard to be a shop owner. You can fix a car and as that car leaves the shop, anything else can indeed fail, and have no connection to your repair other than time.

I was thinking the same thing, only, I dont own a shop. Just work in one. I hate it when I do routine work on a car like brakes, oil changes, alternators (or anything to do with the charging system for that matter) and then say the exhaust rusts off behind the catalytic converter and they say it was my fault. Then I have to go through the process of explainging to them what all I did to the car, where I was, and prove to them that I had nothing to do with it...grrrrrrr.....[/rant]

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote