Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
narcisis
CF Newbie

Cold intake..

Yeap, it's another post

Does anyone know where I could grab a cold intake kit for a 95' LeSabre? I've found plenty of regular intakes on ebay, just no cold intakes. I saw a chip that makes your car think it has a cold intake to get +20 hp but I really want the real thing. (hell I might get that too)

Any suggestions fellas? As always, I appreciate your time
Old 05-16-2006, 03:43 PM   #2
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcisis
Yeap, it's another post

Does anyone know where I could grab a cold intake kit for a 95' LeSabre? I've found plenty of regular intakes on ebay, just no cold intakes. I saw a chip that makes your car think it has a cold intake to get +20 hp but I really want the real thing. (hell I might get that too)

Any suggestions fellas? As always, I appreciate your time

your car isn't classified as a "performace" car, therefore it will be hard to find performance parts. you could probably make one though. as far as the "chip" is concerned, dont bother. they hurt the car more than help it.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
narcisis
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
your car isn't classified as a "performace" car, therefore it will be hard to find performance parts. you could probably make one though. as far as the "chip" is concerned, dont bother. they hurt the car more than help it.

Ya know I kinda figured that about the chip, I greatly appreciate your insight. The cold intake thing I was kinda coming to realize.. hm.. I did see someone make one before though.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/835681/2

That guy did it, if I copy his method of a cold intake setup you think it would be benficial? I believe all he did was buy a regular intake (like I found on ebay) and built a box around it.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:25 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Ya know I kinda figured that about the chip, I greatly appreciate your insight. The cold intake thing I was kinda coming to realize.. hm.. I did see someone make one before though.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/835681/2

That guy did it, if I copy his method of a cold intake setup you think it would be benficial? I believe all he did was buy a regular intake (like I found on ebay) and built a box around it.
I don't know how to break this to you, but the "modification" this bozo made to his car won't make appreciable more power and may even cost him power. If you take about ten seconds and look at your factory set-up, you'll see that it's already drawing air from behind and below the headlight... Just like his Rube Goldberg CAI. Additionally, until he provides some proof that he has in fact increased power with that "mod" such as comparative timeslips or dyno sheet, he's just pissing in the wind. The only thing he's increased is his opinion of his engineering prowess. The one thing he did do that could potentially be helpful was install the scoop that he later took off... Of course he'd have to be moving near 200 mph for it to have any ram effect.

Save your money for portholes and LED lights, they'll make you just as much faster as his contraption.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

Old 05-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
narcisis
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I don't know how to break this to you, but the "modification" this bozo made to his car won't make appreciable more power and may even cost him power. If you take about ten seconds and look at your factory set-up, you'll see that it's already drawing air from behind and below the headlight... Just like his Rube Goldberg CAI. Additionally, until he provides some proof that he has in fact increased power with that "mod" such as comparative timeslips or dyno sheet, he's just pissing in the wind. The only thing he's increased is his opinion of his engineering prowess. The one thing he did do that could potentially be helpful was install the scoop that he later took off... Of course he'd have to be moving near 200 mph for it to have any ram effect.

Save your money for portholes and LED lights, they'll make you just as much faster as his contraption.

Yea I saw where it was drawing air from, then I saw that guys setup and I was in awe, lol. The scoop thing I thought was abit much (maybe the spoiler as well), but whatever. I was going to get the regular intake anyway but from reading his page I figured it would help if I did that box thing he did to keep warm air from hitting his intake.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Yea I saw where it was drawing air from, then I saw that guys setup and I was in awe, lol. The scoop thing I thought was abit much (maybe the spoiler as well), but whatever. I was going to get the regular intake anyway but from reading his page I figured it would help if I did that box thing he did to keep warm air from hitting his intake.
You don't get it, do you? Cut out the middle man, save a pile of time and money, just drop in a good quality air filter in the stock box. You'll make just as much power and not f*ck up your car.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 05-16-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
narcisis
CF Newbie

Quote:
You don't get it, do you? Cut out the middle man, save a pile of time and money, just drop in a good quality air filter in the stock box. You'll make just as much power and not f*ck up your car.

How could getting an intake not help performance? The car's getting more air. Well that's my basic understanding, I'm an IT guy not a mechanic, lol. As for time and money, the intake is like 25 bucks on ebay - and what do you mean f*ck up my car? I've been looking around trying to educate myself on the subject, all I could see is more dirt getting into my engine because of it. Also I already have a good air filter I believe.. I think its KnD.
Old 05-16-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
How could getting an intake not help performance? The car's getting more air. Well that's my basic understanding, I'm an IT guy not a mechanic, lol. As for time and money, the intake is like 25 bucks on ebay - and what do you mean f*ck up my car? I've been looking around trying to educate myself on the subject, all I could see is more dirt getting into my engine because of it. Also I already have a good air filter I believe.. I think its KnD.
1. Because of poor airflow management?

2. Are you sure?

3. Don't you think that getting more dirt into your engine is a bad enough reason right there?

Old 05-16-2006, 05:52 PM   #9
narcisis
CF Newbie

Quote:
1. Because of poor airflow management?

2. Are you sure?

3. Don't you think that getting more dirt into your engine is a bad enough reason right there?

So, all intakes are bad then? Since it's getting more dirt in the engine?
Old 05-16-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
So, all intakes are bad then? Since it's getting more dirt in the engine?
Somehow I doubt you're an "IT guy". You don't seem sharp enough or your company has low standards. I never said that, I simply repeated what you said.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:05 PM   #11
narcisis
CF Newbie

Quote:
Somehow I doubt you're an "IT guy". You don't seem sharp enough or your company has low standards. I never said that, I simply repeated what you said.

You just went on about how it would be basically bad to install an intake on my car, I more or less asked why. Well anyway, you've had a little attitude the whole thread, hell most of your posts has some kinda attitude.

And yes, I'm an IT guy, just that, an IT guy. I know NOTHING about cars, thanks for the help though.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
You just went on about how it would be basically bad to install an intake on my car, I more or less asked why. Well anyway, you've had a little attitude the whole thread, hell most of your posts has some kinda attitude.

And yes, I'm an IT guy, just that, an IT guy. I know NOTHING about cars, thanks for the help though.

all he's trying to do is get you to flush the idea and move on. why bother when they don't even make performance parts for your car. if i were you i'd sell it and buy something with a little more aftermarket support, but thats just me. do what makes you happy, but don't come crying to us when you f*ck something up.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:59 PM   #13
elchango36
WWJCD

I think you'll see the same gains installing a K&N drop in filter to your stock intake system as you would fabricating a CAI. Besides, with a cold air you'll have to worry about the possibility of hydro-locking your engine, which is why I chopped mine in 1/2.
Old 05-16-2006, 07:00 PM   #14
narcisis
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by glagon1979
all he's trying to do is get you to flush the idea and move on. why bother when they don't even make performance parts for your car. if i were you i'd sell it and buy something with a little more aftermarket support, but thats just me. do what makes you happy, but don't come crying to us when you f*ck something up.

I completely understand that, and I appreciate the time he took. I do NOT appreciate being spoken to with an attitude or being insulted, which he did both - and I didn't provoke him. Well outside of my ignorance with cars, which is what I'm thinking what did it, hell I get the same way when people ask me ignorant computer questions. Anywho, I'm not the one to flame, or be flamed at as I try to be as respectful as possible to those who do the same to me. On that note, cya
Old 05-16-2006, 07:02 PM   #15
narcisis
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchango36
I think you'll see the same gains installing a K&N drop in filter to your stock intake system as you would fabricating a CAI. Besides, with a cold air, you'll have to worry about the possibility of hydro-locking your engine, which is why I chopped mine in 1/2.

Hm.. thanks for the advice. However why do people get intakes in the first place if you'll get the same performance with just a good stock filter? Or is that just the case with *my* car since the intake is already in a good spot to get air flow?