Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2006, 03:22 AM   #1
dsmracersv98
CF Enthusiast

Painting the Celi

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in but anyhow, i want to paint my 01 celica midnight blue, does anyone know how much all the stuff to prep it cost, and what all I would need, hopefully I can find someone to paint it if I get all of that. anyone know?
dsmracersv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:31 AM   #2
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmracersv98
I wasn't sure which forum to put this in but anyhow, i want to paint my 01 celica midnight blue, does anyone know how much all the stuff to prep it cost, and what all I would need, hopefully I can find someone to paint it if I get all of that. anyone know?
are u doing it urself or are u going to let a shop do it? I know before i bought my car i was thinking of buying one with a terrible paint job and having a shop painted and prices ranged from $2500 to $4000. But that was for complete paint job like with the engine bay, door panels,...
Old 05-19-2006, 01:55 AM   #3
dsmracersv98
CF Enthusiast

id rather not pay 2 thousand dollars lol, yeah i wana do it myself, or have someone who knows how to paint do it, if i prep it, and i couldn't care less about painting the engine bay or inside, i just want the outside of it painted
Old 05-19-2006, 02:05 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
id rather not pay 2 thousand dollars lol, yeah i wana do it myself, or have someone who knows how to paint do it, if i prep it, and i couldn't care less about painting the engine bay or inside, i just want the outside of it painted
Here's a thought genius. Ask the person that you're going to have paint it. Of course, by the time you purchase the materials and then pay someone prep and paint it, you're going to be paying for... wait for it... then entire job anyway. Good bodymen and painters don't give away their work.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:26 AM   #5
dsmracersv98
CF Enthusiast

are you sure about that, my dad had a 66 mustang that he had gotten painted by his friend, he said he prepped it and the guy painted it for free
Old 05-20-2006, 03:10 AM   #6
V-Tec
CF's student post whore

Quote:
are you sure about that, my dad had a 66 mustang that he had gotten painted by his friend, he said he prepped it and the guy painted it for free
if u buy materials and only use em once u might as well just get a shop to paint it for u cause it will come out the same. The reason why it's so expensive is good auto paint isn't cheap. If u only want the outside done, u might be looking closer to 1k-1.5k...
If u dont care about paint quality just go to Maaco. I think if u do the prep work urself they paint em for less than $500 but their paint sucks.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:20 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

There's a possibility that his FRIEND did it as a FRIEND and not as a BUSINESS. Otherwise, NO ONE would give away their labor.

Seriously, the labor is the largest part of the cost of painting a car. A good prep and paint job can take from a week to a month (especially if there is a lot of repair work first, and the level of detail is high), and besides the actual cost of the materials, the time spent sanding, priming, finish sanding, cleaning, taping, and actually laying out paint, then sanding again and buffing, can add up to many, many labor hours.

Here's a thread where I gave a lot of info on painting:

http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showthread.php?t=19532

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote