Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
FreddieVee
CF Newbie

Misubishi Galant Brakes & Oil

Hi guys.

My daughter is going to be visiting me and my wife in about 10 days and she says that her 2003 Mitsubishi Galant needs brakes and an oil & filter change. So Papa, who has never worked on this type of vehicle needs to ask a few questions.

Are there any special tools needed for front brake pad replacement? I have changed front brake pads on dozens of different model cars, but never this kind. Is there anything unusual about them?

Also, I noticed in the Autozone online listing for oil filters, that some are marked "FULL FLOW FILTER - OPTIONAL SPIN ON FILTER" and some are not. Are there two types of oil filter? Does only one spin on? How is the other replaced? Is it like a BMW with a replaceable canister?

Any help would be appreciated. Daddy doesn't want to look bad for his little girl (or her little girl either).
FreddieVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:43 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieVee
Hi guys.

My daughter is going to be visiting me and my wife in about 10 days and she says that her 2003 Mitsubishi Galant needs brakes and an oil & filter change. So Papa, who has never worked on this type of vehicle needs to ask a few questions.

Are there any special tools needed for front brake pad replacement? I have changed front brake pads on dozens of different model cars, but never this kind. Is there anything unusual about them?

Also, I noticed in the Autozone online listing for oil filters, that some are marked "FULL FLOW FILTER - OPTIONAL SPIN ON FILTER" and some are not. Are there two types of oil filter? Does only one spin on? How is the other replaced? Is it like a BMW with a replaceable canister?

Any help would be appreciated. Daddy doesn't want to look bad for his little girl (or her little girl either).
I have a better question. Why do people ask questions without supplying enough information to develop an educated answer? With the info you provided, we have to make assumptions and do research. That is your job.

1. Technically, a regular oil filter only filters a portion of the oil at any given time where a full-flow always filters all of it. In practice, all oil filters today are full flow, but... All oil filters have a pressure bypass valve so they won't explode from excess pressure or stop oil flow if they become clogged. That being said, some filters have a higher bypass pressure so you get your oil filtered longer.

I have no idea what kind of filter you're looking at at the 'Zone because their servers seem to be down. Of more importance is the brand you use. Stay away from Fram or any of the myriad other filters that are made by Fram and sold in a different box. Purolator, AC (different manufacturers) and their clones are better but still not great. Wix (and clones) is the best filter generally available for a reasonable price. K&N makes a great filter but they cost too damn much. Baldwin IMO is the best filter around, but hard to get unless you know where to look. Yes, I put my money where my mouth is. I run them on my own engines and will not warranty an engine built or installed in my shops unless it has a Baldwin on it. I have never had to warranty an engine for a lubrication problem.

2. If you have basic metric hand tool, the brakes are no problem. Just make sure you retract the pistons correctly, especially if the car has ABS.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:52 AM   #3
dsmracersv98
CF Enthusiast

he did give enough info on that, maybe its just you....
dsmracersv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 01:54 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmracersv98
he did give enough info on that, maybe its just you....
Do you think so dickless? Where does it say what size engine and specifically what filters he's talking about? Please show me, I'm waiting for your response.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 05-19-2006, 04:24 AM   #5
FreddieVee
CF Newbie

I think the car is a 6 cylinder. But my question is, "are there two types of oil filters for the 6"? Autozone shows that some are spin on, but says nothing about the others. I was asking if the ones not specified as "spin on" might be canister.

About the brakes. It doesn't matter whether the car is a 6 or 4 cylinder.

You mentioned "Just make sure you retract the pistons correctly, especially if the car has ABS". Normally I use a c-clamp to retract the brakes, but I have run into cars (like Saturn for example) that require a special tool to turn a retractor. Does this car require a special tool like that? If not, what do you mean by "Just make sure you retract the pistons correctly, especially if the car has ABS"? What is "correctly"?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:37 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I think the car is a 6 cylinder. But my question is, "are there two types of oil filters for the 6"? Autozone shows that some are spin on, but says nothing about the others. I was asking if the ones not specified as "spin on" might be canister.

You mentioned "Just make sure you retract the pistons correctly, especially if the car has ABS". Normally I use a c-clamp to retract the brakes, but I have run into cars (like Saturn for example) that require a special tool to turn a retractor. Does this car require a special tool like that? If not, what do you mean by "Just make sure you retract the pistons correctly, especially if the car has ABS"? What is "correctly"?
1. Regardless of if it's a 4 or 6 cylinder, they both take spin on filters. Obviosly you didn't bother to read my explanation of full-flow versus a regular filter.

2. Does the car have ABS? If not there's no reason to explain. There are no super special secret squirrel tools needed to do the front brakes... Of course, that's one of the assumptions you've forced us to make is that you're doing the fronts.

Old 05-19-2006, 05:32 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
But you stated that you've never had work on this particular vehicle, so how you you know if it matters or not?.....if hobo hadn't responded already, somebody might have come on and in their infinate wisdom, suggested that the 6-cylinder....or 4-cylinder model requires a secret squirrel tool for front brake pad replacement!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 05-19-2006 at 05:37 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:54 PM   #8
FreddieVee
CF Newbie

I posted at this forum seeking help.

Instead, I became a sounding board for people who want to show off.

If you read my first post, I mention FRONT brake pads. I used the Autozone shopping site to find out that the front brake pads are the same whether a 6 or 4 cylinder engine is installed. There are no optional large engines. I used to own two 1966 442's and a 69 442. They used the same front brakes as the 6 cylinder F85 which they were a dirivitive of. There is no need for sarcasim here or derision. If you can help me, then please do. If you need more info, ask me. Is this a forum where members try to help each other, or is this a pissing contest. Check my previous posts. I have tried to help other members without sarcasm.

Thank you, "tbaxleyjr" for pointing out the WIX catalog. I did a google and found that the WIX catalog has the most informative info on the oil filters. Even though Autozone mentions"spin-on" for some of the filters and doesn't mention "spin-on" for others, the WIX catalog shows that they are all "spin-on".

Now if someone can just tell if there is special tool required for the front brake replacement on the 2003 Mitsubishi Galant, I would appreciate it. If you do not know, then please, there is no need to reply. My daugher lives a long drive away, doesn't know how to tell whether she has ABS or not.

If ABS requires a special tool, let me know. If you know that ABS doesn't require a special tool, let me know. If you do not know, then be civil and couteous and do not reply.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #9
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
I posted at this forum seeking help.

Instead, I became a sounding board for people who want to show off.

If you read my first post, I mention FRONT brake pads. I used the Autozone shopping site to find out that the front brake pads are the same whether a 6 or 4 cylinder engine is installed. There are no optional large engines. I used to own two 1966 442's and a 69 442. They used the same front brakes as the 6 cylinder F85 which they were a dirivitive of. There is no need for sarcasim here or derision. If you can help me, then please do. If you need more info, ask me. Is this a forum where members try to help each other, or is this a pissing contest. Check my previous posts. I have tried to help other members without sarcasm.

Thank you, "tbaxleyjr" for pointing out the WIX catalog. I did a google and found that the WIX catalog has the most informative info on the oil filters. Even though Autozone mentions"spin-on" for some of the filters and doesn't mention "spin-on" for others, the WIX catalog shows that they are all "spin-on".

Now if someone can just tell if there is special tool required for the front brake replacement on the 2003 Mitsubishi Galant, I would appreciate it. If you do not know, then please, there is no need to reply. My daugher lives a long drive away, doesn't know how to tell whether she has ABS or not.

If ABS requires a special tool, let me know. If you know that ABS doesn't require a special tool, let me know. If you do not know, then be civil and couteous and do not reply.
I stand corrected on my comment about performing the job on front versus rear brakes. Beyond that, you are a moron. Your questions have been answered even if you blind to that fact. BTW, although I said nothing about different sized brakes, even though I'm apparently being credited with doing so, your experience with '60's Oldsmobiles have abosolutely no bearing on '03 Mitsubishis.

Old 05-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
FreddieVee
CF Newbie

I hit the "Post Reply" button on the bottom of the page.

I made no reference to you.

Calling me a moron will not help me. Again I ask, "is this a forum for helping members?"

It has been stated that I should be careful how I retract the brakes if the car has ABS. All I am asking is, "what precautions should I take if the car has ABS?"

I will not insult you or any other member of this forum. I need help. If you or any other member of this forum posted a question and I had first hand experience, I would post the details. If I did not have first hand experience, I would not post.

You may continue insulting me, if you feel the need to, you may try to answer the simple question that I asked in this post, or you can decide not to respond.

I will repeat that question, "what precautions should I take if the car has ABS?"
Old 05-19-2006, 04:36 PM   #11
FreddieVee
CF Newbie

I called my daughter and she read me her VIN. I did a google and found a page for breaking down the VIN.

It is a 2003 Galant ES with a 2.4L 4 cylinder engine.

I called the local Mitsubishi parts department and read them the VIN and they said "No ABS".

So my only question is: "Is there any special precaution to take when collapsing the front brake caliper?"

Mitsubishi's service department would not tell me because of "liability considerations".

Last edited by FreddieVee : 05-19-2006 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added ABS info
Old 05-20-2006, 02:33 AM   #12
dsmracersv98
CF Enthusiast

they don't usually respond with helping people in these forums, they just seem to insult each other, weird, sorry i don't know anything about how to help you on the car though
dsmracersv98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:35 AM   #13
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
they don't usually respond with helping people in these forums, they just seem to insult each other, weird, sorry i don't know anything about how to help you on the car though
Answer my question, bitch. Post #4.

Old 05-20-2006, 03:49 AM   #14
thefonz
CF Addict

Quote:

So you've been on here almost a year, have over 100 posts and make a comment like that... You don't have a clue do you?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:53 AM   #15
99integra
CF's Florida boy

You know Vwhobo may insult and make people mad, but if you actually see what he's doin, is that he is tryin to get the correct and detailed information out of them before he can answer them correctly, or to fight off ignorance