Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 02:59 AM   #1
MREd
CF Newbie

95 Grand-AM broken shifter linkage?

A service repair guy broke my Daughters linkage (5 sp) at the base of the shifter, he refuse's to fix it. I will give it a try. Does the long plastic counsel need to come out first, or can this be done from under the car. Anyone have any knowledge of fixing this.? I do not know what the exact problem is yet. The 5sp shifter has no resistance at all.
MREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:08 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MREd
A service repair guy broke my Daughters linkage (5 sp) at the base of the shifter, he refuse's to fix it. I will give it a try. Does the long plastic counsel need to come out first, or can this be done from under the car. Anyone have any knowledge of fixing this.? I do not know what the exact problem is yet. The 5sp shifter has no resistance at all.
The answer to your actual question depends on what you find wrong with the car. Yes, the console has to be removed to access the aft portion of the cables and then you need to get underneath/underhood for the forward portion. Beyond that it's impossible to give you any other help except to tell you that it's a cable operated system with no adjustment mechinism and that I have never seen one break at the shifter.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote