Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2006, 04:00 AM   #1
kimberlyfaye
CF Newbie

interchanging pontiac motors

i have a 1996 pontiac transport with a blown motor, could someone tell me if a 1996 bonneville motor will work in my transport?

MSRP: N/A - N/A
Body Styles: 2-Dr Minivan
Engines: 3.4L V6
Transmissions: 4 Speed Automatic
Drivetrains: Front Wheel Drive

1996 Pontiac Transport Performance
-3,350 cc 3.4 liters 6 V front transverse engine with 92 mm bore, 84 mm stroke, 9.5 compression ratio, cast iron block, light alloy head, overhead valve and two valves per cylinder
-Unleaded fuel
-Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 9
-Single-point injection fuel system
-Main 76 liter fuel tank
-Power: 90 kW , 180 HP @ 5,200 rpm; 205 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm

MSRP:
N/A - N/A
Body Styles: 4-Dr Sedan Engines: 3.8L V6 Transmissions: 4 Speed Automatic Drivetrains: Front Wheel Drive

1996 Pontiac Bonneville Performance & Efficiency Standard Features
- 3,800 cc 3.8 liters 6 V front transverse engine with 96.5 mm bore, 86.4 mm stroke, 9.4 compression ratio, cast iron block, cast iron head, overhead valve and two valves per cylinder
- Unleaded fuel
- Fuel economy EPA highway (l/100km): 7.8
- Multi-point injection fuel system
- Main 68 liter fuel tank
- Power: 153 kW , 205 HP @ 5,200 rpm; 230 ft lb @ 4,000 rpm

Im new here but am desperate, if it wont work, can you suggest to me where to begin to replace my pontiac motor?

any help is appreciated
kimberlyfaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:05 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

You may be new, but now you're being ignorant. Posting the first time in an existing thread was a mistake. More importantly, your question has already been answered once. No matter how many times you post on this forum, the answer will remain the same. THE ENGINES DO NOT INTERCHANGE.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:20 AM   #3
kimberlyfaye
CF Newbie

took the time to read the forum rules

k, so my answer is no, and hopefully i won't break anymore rules by being ignorant, thanks for your help.

sigh, the van was left to me by my mother, the only reason I'm pursuing a new(or rebuilt) motor, I'm clueless where to begin replacing this motor....and I'm quite sure all this is elementary to some but I dont know if I should call salvage yards, find out if this one can be re-built(or if thats even feasable), sigh I could ask alot more questions like can I strip the bonneville to replace motor parts in the transport, at this point I would be willing to pursue that but I kinda feel like your gonna tell me you already answered that. I won't bother you anymore.......
Old 05-19-2006, 04:26 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyfaye
k, so my answer is no, and hopefully i won't break anymore rules by being ignorant, thanks for your help.

sigh, the van was left to me by my mother, the only reason I'm pursuing a new(or rebuilt) motor, I'm clueless where to begin replacing this motor....and I'm quite sure all this is elementary to some but I dont know if I should call salvage yards, find out if this one can be re-built(or if thats even feasable), sigh I could ask alot more questions like can I strip the bonneville to replace motor parts in the transport, at this point I would be willing to pursue that but I kinda feel like your gonna tell me you already answered that. I won't bother you anymore.......
It's only a bother when you ignore the information provided. Knowing nothing else about your van than you want to put an engine in it, your cheapest option would most likely be to replace it with a used engine. That being said, the engine in it now may be servicable with some minor repairs.

No matter what the answer may be, I seriously doubt you're going to do this work yourself. It sounds to me like you need to find a competent mechanic, preferably ASE certified, to do the job for you. That person will be the best one to make the decisions as to what the van does or doesn't need.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:56 AM   #5
kimberlyfaye
CF Newbie

Angry not to repeat myself

I've had many vehicles in my time, never minded getting my hands dirty when something fails, and usually dont know what i'm doing to begin with, but I learn, I believe in preventitive maintence and when something starts going bad well it gets parked or babied till i get her fixed or fix it myself. My van was loaned out by my better half(course thats questionable) while I was out of town, to his daughter and I went to pick it up today.

As soon as I started it, it had a bad miss(like a blown head gasket)went bout 10 feet and motor froze up (seemed like), popped the hood and out of the top where you put the oil was like a oil and water mix, kinda sudzy looking. I cleaned it out and locked it up. After reading your old inquiries bout needing a new puter, know perhaps you can relate when it comes to a TIGHT budget. So I'm pretty sure the motors junk, but his daughter would'nt even come out and tell me what it was doing when it got parked(obvious sign that it was'nt good)my so called better half is out back in the dog house, would'nt trust him with a broken light bulb right now. So I'm not totally inexperienced mechanically I've just simply taken care of my vehicles, this is a new one on me to learn, but before its over I WILL KNOW HOW TO REPLACE A MOTOR. When I get all my resources and facts together, then I'll look for someone to do the work, but when they open their mouth and garbage comes out, I'll know it. So thanks for your time, got to figure out if its peter or paul I'm gonna rob to get her pulled home.

by the way, hows the new puter(NOW THATS MY DEPARTMENT) :-)

hope you dont mind if i but you on my buddy list, i can tell this is a favorite past time for you and dont need no headaches, and maybe I won't bother you again, but there goes that resource thing again, you can never have to many.

thankyou