Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
boothe
CF Addict

Test drove a Caliber

Thought you might be interested in my Caliber test drive, I went out last week with a friend.

The car I test drove was $23k (sticker price was $19k) - had the 9 piece Boston Acoustic speaker set (subwoofer, Musicgate), sunroof, a/c, Sirius radio and driver convenience package.

Anyway, the big take aways for me were:
CVT - definitely took a bit to get used to, its strange to not feel the car shift, but by the end of my drive I wasn't really noticing it.

Handling - handled well for a car in its class, makes you feel like yo'ure in a smaller car than you actually are.

Mileage - the sticker said 28/35 on a 1.8, i test drove a 2.0, but just read in a Dodge forum that some guy is averaging 39 @ 55mph - not bad for commuting, etc.

Exterior - hot in person

INterior - The cabin is very spacious and has a bigger car feel, driver rides high. Fit and finish has taken a hit in reviews, and it's definitely not a base luxury car or anything. However, for drivers lookign in this price range I think it's fine. Gauge cluster is not bad looking

Speakers - awesome system with the Boston Acoustic - the inside bumped out and I tested the Musicgate in the dealer lot and it is LOUD. I was over 100 feet away near a busy road and could still hear it clear. Definitely a selling point in the summer with tailgates, beaches, etc. Hope DCX puts it in more of their cars.

Features - the little extra features were cool, iPod holder, chillzone, lighted cup holders, etc. The rear seats recline a bit which is great, and the seats were very easy to put down, rearrange, etc.

Das all, let me know if you have questions, happy to (try) to answer!
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote