Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
DAtaris17
CF Newbie

Startup Trouble

I own an 1999 Acura 3.0 CL, for the first 5 years it was very reliable, but for some reason this year I've had some trouble with it. Earlier in the year my alternator went, and I had to get that replaced. Now the other day my car wouldn't start at all. Not having jumper cables I decided to go play around with the battery and see if i could get it to start. All I really did was take the connection off and then put it back on and for whatever reason that triggered my car to run. In the past week now 2 more times my car has not started. Both times I went into the hood and did the same thing and got the same successful result. All of these times, once the car was started it ran fine, no problems then, the only problem was during startup. To go into more detail about how it didn't start, it was pretty much nothing would happen. If the car wasn't starting I would turn the key and hear nothing, no cranking, nothing. So my question to you guys is what the hell is up with my car?
DAtaris17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 11:42 PM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAtaris17
I own an 1999 Acura 3.0 CL, for the first 5 years it was very reliable, but for some reason this year I've had some trouble with it. Earlier in the year my alternator went, and I had to get that replaced. Now the other day my car wouldn't start at all. Not having jumper cables I decided to go play around with the battery and see if i could get it to start. All I really did was take the connection off and then put it back on and for whatever reason that triggered my car to run. In the past week now 2 more times my car has not started. Both times I went into the hood and did the same thing and got the same successful result. All of these times, once the car was started it ran fine, no problems then, the only problem was during startup. To go into more detail about how it didn't start, it was pretty much nothing would happen. If the car wasn't starting I would turn the key and hear nothing, no cranking, nothing. So my question to you guys is what the hell is up with my car?
Have we thought about cleaning and tightening the battery connections? Think about what you just told us. This is not brain surgery.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #3
DAtaris17
CF Newbie

You're a pretty funny guy. I'm not car savvy, I'll be the first to admit that, but I have been doing that a bit. Do all signs point to that definitly being the problem or could this be something else? I'd prefer not to take my car into the shop.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:14 AM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
You're a pretty funny guy. I'm not car savvy, I'll be the first to admit that, but I have been doing that a bit. Do all signs point to that definitly being the problem or could this be something else? I'd prefer not to take my car into the shop.
Regardless of if "all signs point to that definitly being the problem" or not, that is still the first step in diagnosing and isolating your problem. Whether you or someone else does it, it has to be done, it's free and only take ten minutes. Even if it doesn't fix your problem it only costs you a little bit of your time. What do you have to lose?

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 05-25-2006, 12:16 AM   #5
DAtaris17
CF Newbie

What I have to lose is my car for a day. I'm not home from 7 AM until 6 PM, so I miss all of the shops hours. I could take it in this weekend though.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
What I have to lose is my car for a day. I'm not home from 7 AM until 6 PM, so I miss all of the shops hours. I could take it in this weekend though.
If you can take the battery clamp off and put it back on, which you're already doing, you can take them off, clean them, put them back on and tighten them. Fifteen minutes tops, and even if you have to go buy a wrench and a battery brush you'll have less than $10 invested.

Old 05-25-2006, 12:21 AM   #7
DAtaris17
CF Newbie

Alright, I'll go do a really good job of that. I have done that a little, but I guess it could be better. Thanks for your help.